Menu

1st grade phonics help?

sarahf.

Last year for K we did SL LA K with ETC. My son hated it! This year I ordered Mcruffy 1st after hearing all the rave reviews, well I got it and it is not going to work for my son. It moves way to fast! The first lesson deals with adding suffixes! It looks like a solid program but it has to much info pushed at the child at once(IMO). I want to concentrate on reading first and then stat with spelling, grammer and writing. My son does not like to write, so I was thinking of OPGTR or Phonics Pathways. I can't decide between the two. Can anyone compare these to books for me:) We will also be using FLL1 later and WWE1. I have pelnty of early reader books and I have SL LA1 with readers 1 just in case. TIA!

What about it did your son hate? SL K phonics is a very gentle program. Did he hate ETC A, B & C, the cutting and pasting for each letter, the readers, the repetition, did it move too slow or fast?

This might help us know what you and your ds are looking for in a program.

What are you looking for in a program?

He wasn't a fan of the writing and I think it moved to slowly for him almost to gentle???? SL LA1 seems so disjointed...I'm looking for a very straightforward solid phonics program for my wiggle worm...without much writing....does it exist? We did a few pages of OPGTR last year..he did well but it did not really hold his interest....maybe I should throuw in some happy phonics? ACK....Getting down to the wire I have SL LA 1, Mcruffy 1st and the OPGTR....none of them seem to really be a good fit. Any suggestions?

.I'm looking for a very straightforward solid phonics program for my wiggle worm...without much writing....does it exist?

I'd do something active and multisensory like All About Spelling. While you said you wanted to do spelling later, all about spelling will attend to both the encoding and the decoding. You will only need to add i a few minutes of reading practice based on what you learn in the lesson. There is little writing (could be no writing ifyou just use the tiles and perhaps write in sand/shaving cream when necessary).

It's a wonderful, evidence based reading program.

Also consider getting Read, Write and Type.....another evidence based multi sensory program - based on keyboarding......they learn phonics and typing at the same time.

:)

K

The first phonics program we tried was OPGTTR. We did not like it. What specifically bugged me was the scripted nature of the program. What specifically bugged my ds were the chants.

We have been using PP, and it has been great for us. It is very slow, incremental, and thorough. I like that it the program *is* the book and no other bells and whistles. Let's just get 'er done, KWIM?

Having said that, with my dd starting K in the next few weeks, I am going to add the phonogram cards from SWR for both kids. I am doing this because I want to integrate these phonograms with our handwriting instruction and strengthen their ability to decode quickly.

Basically, I am building my own program for phonics instruction and (GDI) handwriting. Later I will probably add the SWR spelling rules cards. I always prefer to choose smaller elements to make my own program rather than any published program with several elements.

We use McGuffey's and other easy readers for developing fluency.

Edited by Aletheia Academy

OPG has more detailed instructions and smaller words.

PP has to the point instructions and bigger words.

But, for a child that age, it's better to write on a white board anyway, it holds their interest better and you can write as large as they need. I like to write in all uppercase, it's easier to write neatly, the letters are more distinct, and you help prevent B/D reversals, a common problem for young students.

I have a fun game you can use to supplement whatever you choose:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Also, if you're wanting to do phonics quick and get it done, Blend Phonics is good, and free online. I also have some instructions on how to add syllables and syllable division rules to it on my how to tutor page.

I find a bit of spelling helpful long term for retention. You need to work them into it. Say the word drawn out, then, if the word is mat, say it again with just the /m/ sound drawn out and ask what is the first sound. The, ask what letter makes that sound. Repeat for the middle and last sounds, then put it all together. With a poor writer, you can do it orally and/or with magnetic letters.

Webster's Speller is also to the point, and the syllables are later useful for 2 to 6 syllable words. My daughter finished a few months before the end of the year doing just 10 minutes a day.

From what you are describing, I think Sing, Spell, Read, Write would work well. I absolutely love it. It teaches phonics through songs and games. By the end of the 1st grade program they are solid readers (3rd grade level). However, there is no set pace. Simply work on each step as long as it takes your child to master it.

It is expensive initially. However, it is reuseable. All you have to do is purchase new workbooks. I have taught 5 of my kids to read via SSRW. Teaching my kids to read is my favorite part of homeschooling.

From what you are describing, I think Sing, Spell, Read, Write would work well. I absolutely love it. It teaches phonics through songs and games. By the end of the 1st grade program they are solid readers (3rd grade level). However, there is no set pace. Simply work on each step as long as it takes your child to master it.

It is expensive initially. However, it is reuseable. All you have to do is purchase new workbooks. I have taught 5 of my kids to read via SSRW. Teaching my kids to read is my favorite part of homeschooling.

:iagree:

SSRW is fun and good but expensive.

The Pollard series is fun and free online but work to figure out how to use, SSRW is much easier to use.

The Pollard series is linked on my list of good phonics and spelling books about halfway down the page, they are free from Google books.

I think maybe you should start McRuffy K and do the easy lessons quickly and slow down when you get to the new stuff. Then McRuffy 1st should be fine after finishing up the K level. K hasn't been moving too fast at all for my prek now kindergartener. We are about 60 lessons into it.

:iagree: My reluctant reading dd is doing wonderfully with McRuffy K, we just did double lessons and skipped a few here and there until we got to where it was tough.

I've been looking around for something for my prek son who's raring to go and I think I'll just do a little more fine motor work with him and then dive into McRuffy K with in January.

I would recommend Phonics Pathway.

You sound like you are uncertain/frustrated in his/your ability to learn/teach phonics. I know you have probably heard this a dozen times, but everything will be alright.

I was in your boat about 1.5 years ago. We started with ETC, tried McGuffey's, tried Ruth Beechick's recommendations, but finally found Alphaphonics (which, IMO, is quite similar to Phonics Pathway).

We stuck with it, in the beginning on certains days I wanted to pull all of my hair out...however, once I made up my mind that this was it I was at peace and my children were too and they started to flourish.

Just take a deep breath, be consistent, short lessons, and patience is vital!!!!!! Read, read, read to your DS...he will eventually get it. Let him read easy, easy stuff at times to show him how far he has come. Let him read on an exercise ball, squirm in his seat while he reads...this is what my DS had to do. (It was annoying to me, but once I accepted this as his way to learn...he just absorbed his lessons like a sponge!) :grouphug:

Guest sarathan
We are doing The Reading Lesson and I love it. My son also doesn't do well with a lot of writing. We use Reading Eggs on the computer as well.

I'm also starting The Reading Lesson (today actually!!) with my oldest. It's *just* phonics... no writing, spelling, etc. It looks very straightforward and you can choose your own pace. This might be an option for you.... It's also very affordable.... I got my book on Amazon for under $20! :)