Menu

Movies that go along with Story of the World Four (modern)

phathui5

We have Netflix, which I love, and I'm trying to think of movies to get to supplement our history study. We're doing Story of the World Four (modern times) this year.

My kids are going to be 9 and 6.

Any suggestions? Better yet, can anyone give me ideas for movies by chapter?

Thank you for the reminder! I have a file on my computer I saved from the old boards long ago. It was posted by "Anne/PA." She gave a disclaimer that she hadn't watched all of them yet and so appropriateness was not yet conclusive for some. I haven't watched most of them, either.

"Civil War"

Red Badge of Courage

Gone With the Wind

"Indian Wars"

I Will Fight No More Forever

How the West Was Lost

The Plainsman

"European Colonization of Africa, India"

Four Feathers

Beau Geste

Gunga Din

Wee Willie Winkie

"Victorian Age"

Cheaper by the Dozen

Modern Times

Oliver Twist

Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines

The Great Race

The Spirit of St. Louis

The Great Waldo Pepper

Around the World in 80 Days

My Fair Lady

Miracle Worker (Helen Keller)

Anne of Green Gables

The Indomitable Teddy Roosevelt

Sherlock Holmes

"WWI"

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Red Baron

Wings

Farewell to Arms

"Russian Revolution"

Dr. Zhivago

Fiddler on the Roof

"Jazz Age in America"

Great Gatsby

Stars and Stripes Forever

Singing in the Rain

"China in 1930’s"

The Good Earth

"Great Depression"

The Sting

Grapes of Wrath

Journey of Natty Gann

Sullivan’s Travels

Miracle on 34th Street

War of the Worlds

"Spanish Civil War"

For Whom the Bell Tolls

"World War Two"

Casablanca

Sound of Music

The African Queen

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Midway

Chariots of Fire

Mrs. Miniver

Great Dictator

The Longest Day

Best Years of Our Lives

Since You Went Away

It’s A Wonderful Life

"Cold War"

Madame Curie

The Day After ?

Animal Farm ?

"India and Southeast Asia, Africa"

Ghandi

The Jungle Book

The King and I

Motion Picture History of Korean War ?

Battle Circus?

The Gods Must be Crazy

"Space Exploration"

Apollo 13

October Sky

The Right Stuff

One Giant Leap

Apollo Moon Landing

"America in 1960’s and 1970’s"

Barefoot in the Park ?

Breakfast at Tiffany’s ?

Martin Luther King

Roger and Me?

That's all of her list. I am going to do Forrest Gump at the end of the year, and we'll probably do the movie about Sgt. York for WWI.

I would not recommend The Day After for the ages of your kiddos--just sayin'!

I like all of the ones on the "big list" for the Victorian Age. You might do the Disney movie, Basil of Baker Street, instead of Sherlock Holmes (Basil is a detective mouse who lives in Holmes' house--it's very cute but not cutesy, iykwim--who can resist the voice of Vincent Price as the evil Rattigan?)

I'd add the BBC version of David Copperfield to your Victorian list--it stars Daniel What's-His-Name--you know, "Harry Potter."

Here's what I've got so far:

The Unofficial Story of the World movie list

Book 1- Ancient Times

Ch. 1- The Earliest People

Prehistoric America: A Journey through the Ice Age and Beyond (BBC)- Travel back in time 14,000 years to imagine what America looked like before man's existence. This documentary uses computer animation to give us realistic views of the woolly mammoth and other prehistoric creatures.

Book 2- The Middle Ages

Book 3- Early Modern Times

Ch. 22- Revolution!

Liberty's Kids- Geared towards 8-16 year olds, this animated series teaches children about the events surrounding the Revolutionary War.

Book 4- The Modern Age

Ch. 4- British Invasions

The Secret Garden- (all ages) Mary Lennox is a strong-willed English girl who is orphaned when her parents die of cholera in India. She's sent to live with her uncle in a lonely English mansion and turns an abandoned garden into a thing of beauty.

Ch. 5- The American Civil War

The Red Badge of Courage- (not rated) Set during the American Civil War. Examines a boy's feelings as he prepares for battle. As the war continues, he comes to terms with the realities of warfare.

Ch. 6- Two Tries for Freedom

Anne of Green Gables- (all ages) Anne Shirley, a talkative, red-headed orphan is adopted by a spinster and her brother on Prince Edward Island, Canada and has all sorts of adventures.

Ch. 16- Moving West

Little House on the Prairie- (all ages) Disney's adaptation of Laura Ingalls Wilder's novel chronicles the family's wagon trek from Wisconsin to Kansas, where dad Charles will claim the family's parcel of land.

Ch. 21- A Revolution Begins and the Great War Ends

Mary Poppins (all ages)- Mary Poppins is the “practically perfect†nanny who shows up just at the right time for the Banks family. The movie is set when women are demanding the right to vote and Mrs Banks is a suffragette.

Ch. 28- The Second World War

The Hiding Place- In WWII Holland, Corrie ten Boom and her family of Christian watchmakers are quietly sheltering Jews in their small house. When Nazis discover them, it leads to concentration camps and a test of faith for Corrie and her sister.

Ch. 36- Struggles and Assasinations

Dr Martin Luther King Jr: A Historical Perspective- An hour long documentary that focuses on the Civil Rights leader's many accomplishments. Includes the “I Have a Dream†speech.

I don't know if anyone would be up for something like this with kids, but in the late 70's there was a well-done TV mini series with Meryl Streep called The Holocaust. (based on a book) It's incredibly moving and graphic. But it's a notch down from Schindler's List. I think it would be a possibility for teens. Number The Stars (based on a book) is another movie that is appropriate for kids 12 and up, Ithink.

I would also add the Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, and Roots for older kids to that list. The Disney movie about Ruby Bridges is also well down and good for younger children as well. Roots might not be appropriate for younger kids, but The A of M JP is.

October Sky and Apollo 13 are both fabulous family movies for any age, imo. They show the excitement (and peril) of space travel.

For WWII era, I'd like to put in a plug for A League of Their Own. It's about The All American Girls Baseball League, and there are some racy parts...peeing, some drinking. You could ff some scenes. It's one of our most favorite family movies of all time. There is some good historical info there which might whet some kids' appetites.

Edited by LibraryLover

The baseball scout, says "I'm going to go home and give the wife a little 'pickle tickle'." My kids didn't get it when they were younger, but when when they were about 12, they giggled. It's said when he drops them off at the ball-field for tryouts. The soundtrack is also fab, btw. There is a dance scene in the bar that is wonderful. (although there is drinking).

My kids have seen this movie about 50 times and we still love it. It's one of our fav comfort movies. I cried the first time I saw it. I started crying at the opening scene, and I didn't stop until it was well over. There is something about this movie for me that I cannot explain. I don't know anyone else who loves it as much, so be warned. lol I'd watch it first, and see what you think for the kids. My own loved the peeing scene. But we're like that. Oy.

The movie is on You Tube. Here's the first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7pvBbWS5IY&feature=fvw

Edited by LibraryLover