Menu

70th Birthday - need help with batches of 70 items

MIL is turning 70 this weekend. We would like to gift her with "batches of 70s." For example, 70 kisses (Hershey's kisses). 70 snapshots of the grandkids on a flash drive to use in her digital image photo frame. Get the idea?

Please help us have a full basket of fun things. Thanks, in advance!

I thought of 70 news paper clippings or articles from her life (the big events of the world) and they could be easily mounted on a simple white or black scrapbook page... but I dont htink you have enough time.

or even a list or pictures of 70 things that identify with her... old car, childhood home, favorite food, favorite restaurant, etc.

Nothing I think of is simple... unless the later idea is a list!

What a great idea!

70 stamps for mailing letters and bills?

70 pennies for the fountain?

A postcard a day for 70 days (received in the mail, that is)...

70 dollars on a gift card...

Enough pre-mixed dry ingredients for 70 cookies...

70 "coupons" printed out on the computer for hugs, a load of laundry done, a room cleaning, a hair appointment, a dinner out, etc.

70 minutes on a phone card to call anywhere...

This is kinda fun!:001_smile:

We did this when my grandmother turned 80 :) it was really fun and challenging!

At the party we had a table of 80 candles, we had spent a year in preparation collecting glass or crystal votive holders from garage sales and thrift stores. Each had a single purple candle (her favorite color, plus in her culture white is associated with death).

We had 80 flowers turned into a lei and hei for her to wear at the party. You could do something like 80 different beads or gizmos to string a necklace or bracelets for her (at the party, even). Or even just 80 flowers (plastic or real - plastic would be relatively cheap, found at thrift stores at 3-4 blossoms per stem) to present her with.

My nephews made a funny collection of events grandma had witnessed over he 80 years - they researched and printed (usually just a photo representing the event, sometimes a personal item from within the family) something significant from every single year she had been alive. They mounted the printouts to cut up posterboard (they looked like giant flashcards) and they quizzed her during her party. It led to many fun memories being shared.

70 scratch-off tickets LOL, if your family is big enough to divy the expense

I'm trying to think of what else we did and had. I was living overseas at the time, so wasn't at the heart of planning it. I'll be back if I can remember anything else.

It sounds like y'all are gearing up for a wonderful celebration :)

These are all great ideas!

What about a money tree? Take an old branch, spray paint it, and tie $70 on it.

A magazine subscription for 70 issues.

If she likes popcorn, 70 bags of popcorn.

70 coupons for Blockbuster.

A 70 minute massage.

A meal or dessert a week for 70 weeks.

(This would be much cheaper to do for a 20th birthday party! LOL)

Oh Aggie's post reminded me of something my mom did for me when I turned 21 :) she mailed me 21 cards on the days following my birthday, to "extend the celebration." I was living away at college at the time, and it was pretty awesome that she took time to mail them all spaced out like that!

What about 70 birthday cards - one beginning on the day OF, and then 69 in the days that follow. My mom actually bought 21 different cards that each said "21" on them but I'd imagine that is not such an easy task for a 70 year old's celebration LOL. Even if you don't buy them, a homemade card each day or alternating days would be awesome :)

My grandma is a crossword puzzle whiz, so I remember, too, that we presented her with 80 crossword puzzles (again, we had to plan ahead and cut them out of papers for months in advance but you could download some from the internet or get them from a puzzle book. Does your MIL have something similar of interest that can be reproduced relatively easily in 70s?

70 favorite family recipes written up (especially the ones that she just "knows" but aren't written down somewhere)

70 hand prints of family and friends

70 stamps

70 favorite songs burned onto a CD

70 butterflies to release at the party

Great ideas here!

for my parents' 70ths, i got a journal and wrote 70 memories i treasured about them, and sometimes what i learned from those memories. i cried buckets writing them, and they cried buckets reading them.... i tried to pick things through the years. it would be emotionally tough to do in a day, though! i also really liked the 70 cards over 70 days idea; maybe each card could contain a memory?

have fun!

ann