Menu

I'm thinking about getting an iPod Touch.

My ds has the iPod touch and loves it. Oldest and youngest dd's have the iPhones as well.

If you really want one, my oldest dd received a current generation 8 gig one with the purchase of her MacBook a couple of weeks ago. She planned to sell it to help pay towards her computer. It is BRAND NEW, still sealed in the package. They retail for $229 + tax and I listed it on the fs board for $200 including insured, first class postage. I'd be more than happy to sell it to you if you decide you want one (and I do highly recommend them, not just because I have one to sell).

I have a 16GB one and love it. This past year, I loaded all my CDs onto it and then I spent time going through and unchecking in Itunes on my computer, all the ones that weren't faves or I didn't want to regularly listen to. I still have thousands of songs on there, but they are all ones I like and I can shuffle through and never hear the same one twice for months :) I also rated my absolute faves with five stars and then I can play just those in order or in shuffle as well.

I have approx. 40 apps on my touch right now as well, all of them completely free. You can buy apps as well, but my kids and I are having enough fun with the free ones. One of the coolest apps I've found is Stanza, which allows me to read classics for free on my Ipod. I can also purchase books, but I'm all about free stuff right now :)

I also love that if I'm in a place with WiFi, I can go on the internet with my touch. When we went to Florida last year, I refused to bring my laptop because I wanted a relaxing family vacation away from my computer, but I wanted something handy for checking the weather, park operating times, locating restaurants, etc. and my Ipod was perfect or that.

I can also play movies on my ipod. The screen isn't the ideal size for reading books as mentioned above, or watching movies, but it is a nice function when you want it.

I would have never bought it if my FIL wouldn't have given dh and I each $500 for Christmas, but since he did and I never buy big stuff like that for me, I splurged. I really like my Ipod touch though and am glad I bought it.

I get online with mine all day and check my emails without turning on the computer.

The scheduling app is a lifesaver.

And the contacts...

And the safari...

And the music...

And all the preschool games we downloaded...

Love it.

Portable Mommy Brain.

There is a 95% chance there is an "iPod Event" on 9/9/09 where the next generation will be revealed. Rumors are flying around as to what it will have - but there is a good chance it will at least add a camera/video cam. Possibly GPS.... more than likely it will have a processing boost to what the new iPhone 3GS got in June, possibly MORE (happened last year). Also, history says it will jump to 64GB for capacity, which means that the price of that won't be higher - that everything else will slip down a notch (expect aggressive pricing because Microsoft if releasing their new Zune HD that week). Meaning, the 64GB will cost what the current 32GB costs, 32 at teh 16 and the 8 might be discontinued or become the entry bargain level.

None of this is for sure, but is how it has played out the last few years....

I bought an 8gb refurb in July (knowing the new ones were coming out, i'll get one of those for me at some point - spent my money on school books - and the 8gb will go to the kids to share), it was $179. I don't regret buying it at all. The refurbs have the same 1 year warranty and are eligible for Apple Care also. Just like new basically!

OHHHH, and just an FYI - if you do buy a current generation, it will more than likely have the 2.2.1 version of the OS. 3.0 is out, but Touch users have to pay $10 to upgrade to it. The new ones in September will come with 3.0. iPhone users get this upgrade free because it's part of their contract. I wasn't going to upgrade, but more and more Apps are being updated to require it....

Here is the link to the refurb store: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch?mco=MTE3NzE

All my Kindle books that I've purchased or downloaded for free (Proj. Gutenberg or Amazon) are also available on my ipod Touch (Kindle or Stanza app). It doubles as a smaller Kindle (I can't wait till iTablet comes out) so my ds & I can both read aloud the same ebook from Amazon or Proj. Gutenberg. With our Kindle, ipod touch, and laptops we all have the same copy of a book or Bible to do our family read-alouds (google books, proj. gutenberg or other online sources).

Check the weather daily (wireless connected needed)

Contacts - my new personal phone book

Notes- grocery lists, etc.

Calculator

Calendar - use this daily

Games - mostly my dc use it for this

Listen to audio books (audible.com or free)

I RARELY use it for listening to music (I have an ipod classic for that).

CONS: ipod touch doesn't charge in my Bose player but it does play - only my older ipod classic will play & also charge (maybe they've changed that).

Now that I have an ipod touch - I WANT an iphone so I have internet access everywhere (not just with WiFi)! NOT going to happen due to monthly charge (can't wait for the Verizon iphone)!