Menu

How do I dispose of an epipen?

I was told to use expired ones as practice pens ~ ie. discharge them into an orange. Apparently the real pens don't feel quite like the tester that they give you. Then put it back in its case and screw the cap back on ~ careful not to poke yourself if the needle is exposed.

Take it to your doctor's office or a pharmacy for disposal, unless you know someone who has a sharps container and is willing to take it from you (ie. know any diabetics?). Call ahead if you want to dispose of it at a pharmacy. Not all pharmacies will accept them.

Thanks everyone!! I think I'll test it on an orange....I've never actually tested one before. They didnt even offer me a tester to try at the office. Then I'll either put it into a detergent bottle (I have one we just finished up today) or I'll call the pharmacy and ask them if they take them.

Also, insist on getting epipens with an expiration date at least a year out next time. I have often gone to the pharmacy to replace epipens and had them try to give me ones that would expire in a few months. I always have them get ones for me that will last at least a year. They are expensive!

Lisa

I always save expired ones to use to teach others in my family or teachers in the activities that my ds participates in. First I show them the trainer. Then I let them try it very carefully in an orange. I also point out the window on the epi-pen should be red if the medicine is injected properly (note, you will have to check specific manufacturer instructions as their are different type of pens). The window remains clear if not injected and in this case should be injected again with the epi-pen.

As far as disposal, the epi-pens that I have needle proof holders that I put used epi-pen into and replace twist on cap of holder securely, then dispose in trash. Alternatively, you place sharps into an empty heavy duty plastic laundry bottle and replace lid and then discard. As an extra safety step, you could then tape lid shut as well. You could also ask regional trash disposal for any other specific rules. I know that in PA we have taught diabetics to dispose of sharps in similar manner in a secure puncture proof container unless the rules have changed:tongue_smilie:.

Also, insist on getting epipens with an expiration date at least a year out next time. I have often gone to the pharmacy to replace epipens and had them try to give me ones that would expire in a few months. I always have them get ones for me that will last at least a year. They are expensive!

Lisa

:iagree::iagree: