Menu

HS credit for assistant to ballet teacher

My daughter (10th gr) has been asked by her ballet teacher(whom we have been with for 8 years) to be an assistant in two of the younger student classes. This would involve 2 1/2 hours per week. Do you guys see this as something to give a 1/2 credit for (2.5 X 36=90 hours) ? The other half credit would be going for sewing.

my son is getting a credit for Karate. He's going for his instructors license and his 2nd degree black belt. That included 2 hours of classroom work for him and 2 hours of instructing. I added in a couple of books on Korean History & culture and a book on the History of Karate. I would add a couple of books to dd schedule and it would be fine to give her credit for it. You could call it Advanced Ballet or something like that.

It sorta depends. . . . .

My dd is doing, and has done, the same thing for the past 3 years. I have not, to this point, given her any credit for it, other than the P.E. credit she gets for ballet. But I don't think that's what you're asking.

On your transcript, that can be listed as an award or honor, imho.

However, next year - her senior year - I am going to add in some coursework for her, and count her teaching time as lab. Kinda like child development courses in high school settings, if that makes any sense. Haven't decided quite what yet - probably some research in dance education, probably some child development - and award her a credit for "Dance Education" or something along those lines. She does want to major in Dance Ed, though - so that's why we're doing that.

Make sense?

I WOULD list it as community service and LEADERSHIP hours. She could write about her experiences for one of the college application essays....

I think listing it in this way would make a better 'impression' on future college applications...

Just piggybacking on what Jann said. . . . I do think that homeschoolers are advised to be careful what you call a "credit" on your transcript, even if you've counted the hours. If your child is not going to college, it's really not a huge issue. But for college admissions, you want things to look in a format that is comparable to traditionally-schooled students. Listing it as leadership/community service meets that goal.

Many high schools in San Diego have a community service requirement for graduation. My ds, who was homeschooled through a public charter, received several semesters of community service credit for all of his volunteer theatrical lighting work while in high school, and received an honors designation at graduation for all his hours and work over the years.

So, document her hours, keep any letters of appreciation she gets, any recital programs that list her as class assistant, and put it all in a portfolio. It shows a level of achievement in dance and a high level of respect from her adult mentors.

I WOULD list it as community service and LEADERSHIP hours. She could write about her experiences for one of the college application essays....

I think listing it in this way would make a better 'impression' on future college applications...

:iagree: I really do think the community service is more relevant than anything else if she already has her p.e. credit.