Menu

For a history textbook would you choose BJU or Abeka...

US or World? I like BJU over A Beka. Longer, but more to it. To us, A Beka is more of a fact cram, the extra information makes BJU more readable. Borrow and have your dd look at them, or go to a hotel meeting, I do know people who like A Beka. We are doing World History, using Vol. 1 of Streams of Civilization for now (don't like Vol. 2, different author). I also got a used World History-Human Odyssey by Spieglovel (sp?), so far, I like it even though it is secular. And I have a borrowed BJU World History. Too many choices :)

Thank you ladies! I would love to do SL, but can't afford it and DD wants something that's not going to take so long as her interests lie in the science area.

I'm looking into Notgrass too, but could probably get BJU or Abeka used more easily.

I think I'll probably go with BJU.:)

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Please don't feel so badly about your daughter using textbooks. My youngest is a very by the book child and much more interested in science. Last year we did Calvert school and the one thing she really liked was the fact she had textbooks. SHe likes the accountability, she likes the regularity of it. I have devided not to fight it since I know she needs to concentrate on math and science. I try to find good textbooks and then I use talks with her to bring in more opinions or a different perspective.

If you are fine with BJU's perspective, I recommend it also over ABEKA. Much more interesting.

BJUP. It's more interestingly written, there's a wider variety of assignments that require actual thinking, and although it's clearly written with a Christian worldview, there's less commentary about how sinful this or that civilization is or is not.

We are LOVING BJU World History (we did spring for the new third edition). So much so, in fact, that I have switched from using Omnibus as my main spine and BJU as the supplementary reading, to the other way around. The BJU is our spine, we are going straight through, and adding in selected readings from Omnibus to fill out the theology and church history (also using selected readings from Omnibus for literature, so all in all I can *almost* justify the cost).

We are taking two years to do the one year (two volume) world history program, only because we're adding in the other readings and history isn't the center of our curriculum.

I have used both Abeka and BJU at the high school level. I would go for BJU. The only "negative" that I found with BJU is that there is sometimes a harsh edge or negativity when dealing with the Roman Catholic Church (I was raised Catholic and some of my friends are Catholic). I used those small sections to teach about perspective with history. Abeka was pretty acurate but not as engaging as BJU. BJU also has the activities manuals which are really good. The test for BJU are also better than Abeka's. As a former history teacher I found myself compelled to create new tests for the Abeka program but I was fine with the BJU tests.