Menu

Geico Insurance anyone???

We just got our homeowner renewal with a 40% increase in premium. No losses ever. So after shopping around a little bit, I got a quote from Geico that is close to what we have paid in the past. I know nothing about the company, don't know anyone insured with them and cute commercials are not a good basis for choosing insurance. Anyone here have any experience with them? Good and bad.

Janet

Always get quotes. We were with Geico for years and I never had complaints, but when we moved out of state I called another insurance company (USAA) and got a MUCH lower quote (about half)...I made the switch and have been very happy. (And we were former USAA customers that had switched to Geico years ago when THEY gave us a much cheaper quote.)

I guess the moral of the story for me is to never assume that your current coverage is your best! Call and get an estimate!

Susu

We just got our homeowner renewal with a 40% increase in premium. No losses ever. So after shopping around a little bit, I got a quote from Geico that is close to what we have paid in the past. I know nothing about the company, don't know anyone insured with them and cute commercials are not a good basis for choosing insurance. Anyone here have any experience with them? Good and bad.

Janet

We've used them for auto for around 12 years. We've been very happy. Homeowners for some reason was one of the more expensive quotes...don't know why...so we don't have them for that. I think Travelers underwrites their homeowners policies. We had them back in PA but we never had any claims to test them out.

Barb

We actually just switched our homeowners to Geico, which is Travellers (through Geico) and I think it's flaky. I'm probably going to switch later. It's cheap and I was OK with that, but the company seems shady. For example, they told us if our house ever goes on the market within the next year that they'll drop us. Also, they sent some strange guy out to our house to take pictures. He had a cracked windshield on this old beater jeep, he pulls up alongside our yard doing like 40 mph in a 25. Then, he gets out and looks at my 4 year-old riding her tricycle and makes this strange comment. This guy leaves and then Geico calls and says that they have to raise our payment because (in their words) they think it will cost $230,000 to rebuild our house if it burns down. :confused: BTW, our house is an old, tiny piece of crap and I could go out and get some sticks and moss out of the yard and rebuild it. Our house and plot only appraises for $180,000. And why would they threaten to drop us if we put our house on the market?? Wouldn't they want to insure the next house? Where are we going to live, in our car? :auto:

i've been with GEICO for car insurance for almost 30 years with no complaints about the service or coverage. i shopped around for HO insurance last year and while GEICO made a good offer, Farm Bureau bested them by over $200. Farm Bureau was highly recommended by users on another board i frequent and trust so you might look into them also.

We have Geico for our auto insurance. We have never had any problems and our claims have always been handled quickly and professionally. I would imagine their homeowners division would be run just as well.

We have Geico for our auto insurance, and have had the same experience. Very quick, professional service, and they've been wonderful to deal with. I have no experience with their homeowners insurance as we use a different carrier, but we've been very satisfied with them for auto coverage.

astrid

Sounds like most everyone has had good experience with them. Hopefully, we won't have any claims. With dh unemployed, a 40% increase in our homeowners premium is not good news. Geico was definitely less than any other quote I got.

Thanks for the responses.

Janet