Menu

R.E.A.L. earth science lab question

Homemama2

For unit one (I think lab #3) where you make the anemometer, what type of cups/plates did you use? We can NOT get this lab to work. We used dixie cups with a small paper plate, then we tried with a large paper plate. Maybe I need bigger cups? I'd like to get the thing working since we're suppose to keep the weather journal throughout the year. :tongue_smilie:

That's the one where you attach the cup to the paper plate and it's supposed to spit around in the wind, right? I got so frustrated with that one. Never could get a working wodel going.

We've got a rainbow colored...thing. I'm not sure what to call it but it's cylindrical and hangs from a tree or a corner of the house and spins in the wind. I just used that and counted each time the read stripe came around.

I'd recommend doing the same, rather than trying to get their design to work. You could use one of those big decorative pinwheels or something.

On a side-note this is the sort of thing I disliked about R.E.A.L. Science. Complicated, time consuming projects for very little payoff. Much happier with NOEO.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

We got ours to work, sort of. We used a large paper plates and bigger cups, and stuck a lump of modeling clay on a second paper plate to stick the pencil in so it would (mostly) stay upright. It does still fall over especially in transport, but it will stay up long enough to use the thing.

With ds #1, we tried similar projects from library books, and they just. would. not. work. DS received an inexpensive weather station for Christmas and we went with that. With that in mind, when ds #2 gets to that section of R.E.A.L. Science, I plan to go out and buy another inexpensive weather station. :D

Wait, I just remembered: in order to keep up our weather journal, I photocopied "The Beaufort Scale" from a library book, and I think we used that description to keep us on track.

The Beaufort Scale image

Edited by KathyBC