Menu

Anyone use a word wall?

creekmom

I know a word wall is invaluable when teaching in the schools (my husband is a middle school teacher and is required to use one). Also, I think the elementary schools are required to use them around here. I think it's a good idea because it can be used with so many different types of words (content area, commonly misspelled words, vocabulary, sight words, etc.). Also, the words are in front of them during school as a constant reminder. I'm wondering how to do this with three different grade levels and not a lot of wall space. Any ideas?

I would think an older child could have their word wall be just a piece of paper that gets pulled out at school time....maybe have a "Page-Up" they could use to set it up in front of them without taking a lot of table space?

Not sure which room you school in, but maybe you could put the words on the ceiling...big enough to be read, which might only be possible if you have 8' ceilings.

I am planning to have sight word lists for my Ds 6, but don't have space for a word wall. I plan to use a sheet of paper placed inside the plastic protector at the front of his school binder (so the words are on the cover of the binder, if you get what I am trying to say). Having the words actually on the wall seems, IMveryHO to be more useful in a setting where there are multiple children learning the same words (ie. in a classroom).

But my experience is very limited, so take it for what it's worth...:001_smile:

I like the idea of an individual word wall in their binders, but I'm afraid if it's not on the wall, we won't look at it very often. I read about using a tri fold board - then each child has their own words, board, etc. and we can fold it and put in away if we need to. Still thinking about it...

What about a mini-office? Basically a lapbook with just word wall words in it. You could even use Velcro on the back of the words so that once you don't need a word any more you can easily swap it with another one.

I think I might use poster putty on some sight word flashcards that my youngest is learning, so I can just have a small wall space dedicated to a word wall.

http://teachafish.blogspot.com/2008/02/mini-offices.html

I did one for math with basic tables on the back and fractions, money, etc inside. I printed out the pages and pasted then had the whole thing laminated.

For LA I did one with sight words for 1st and 2nd and then a few sections (days of the week, months, family names) blending starters.

They were great for journal time b/c you just pick it up and it gives ideas as well as helps for spelling the more common words.

try the link above for ideas and links to other sheets.

I took all of the most used words in English and made flash cards of them. I think I had about 600 or so. (ETA Actually, I think it was more like 1500-2000) I kept them in a stack, with a rubber band, and if she could read a clump of them quickly I would give them to her. Then she would file them in a recipe card file. If she had to try and try, I would keep them for the next day.

I put a magnetic white board up in her bedroom.

The word cards that made it into the recipe file box were used to send messages back and forth. I would make them into a sentence, magneting each to the white board, and when DD could come and tell me what the sentence said we would celebrate. Sometimes she would leave me some sentences as well. Sometimes I would have her use one of the sentences for copywork.

We didn't have a word wall beyond that--she tended to ignore things that stayed the same, and so I thought that the dynamism of this approach would be more likely to engage her. It was kind of fun for me as well, once I got it going.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
# of words

I bought the dolch word sets from lakeshore learning's online store. They are laminated and on a nice ring. Very heavy duty. I put so many on the ring and we drill it once a day. Once she 'knows' a word she can put it in her word box. We review that once a week as a timed game or use them in sight word bingo. I tried putting things on the wall for a while but the little kids are in the kitchen and my only wall space is the hallway. They had to get up to look at it.

With older children, you can provide them with a word book. I *think* Rainbow Resouce Center carries them. Try a search on "Spelling Dictionary." They are usually around $2. There might be a grammar book too.

With younger children I've only ever had sight words on the wall, but after considering your post I just might do more this year for my K-2nd graders. I can't help you with wall space because I don't know the design of your space, but if you are truly desperate you could make a placemat of words for a younger child.

HTH.

As a former teacher and a user of IEW, I'm the perfect candidate for a word wall. I keep threatening to have one but haven't yet. For writing, I do like for my daughter to peruse the thesaurus for pertinate words. If, for example, she's writing about snakes I have her go through looking for words to express very snake-y ideas instead of run-of-the-mill slither, scaley, poisonous, et c. She usually copies them onto an index card and writes the meaning; one of us illustrates it. The cards go on a ring that she gets handy when writing.

I'd like to make a word wall. I just haven't.

For those truly lacking any wall space, there is a shower curtain with the top 500 misspelled words on it. It's made by the same brand that makes the ones w/ the periodic table, the water cycle, and the insect/reptile life cycles on them. I've been wanting one but can't justify $32 for a shower curtain. :001_smile: Might be worth it you consider you're turning it into "wall space". Plus, with that in the bathroom, what else are they going to stare at while brushing their teeth?

:lol: Ok, I love the shower curtain idea!

With my youngest (just beginning 2nd) we used lined post-it note paper. (I think I found it at Wal-Mart) It was lined for larger writing, as in K/1st grades. I bought a few packages, and just put up what we needed at the time. He really enjoyed moving from work on his desk to reading the wall, and I had the convenience of moving them as needed. My older kids don't do this, other than their banned words lists in their IEW notebooks. We just make use of the dictionary & thesaurus...

Have fun!

I took all of the most used words in English and made flash cards of them. I think I had about 600 or so. (ETA Actually, I think it was more like 1500-2000) I kept them in a stack, with a rubber band, and if she could read a clump of them quickly I would give them to her. Then she would file them in a recipe card file. If she had to try and try, I would keep them for the next day.

I put a magnetic white board up in her bedroom.

The word cards that made it into the recipe file box were used to send messages back and forth. I would make them into a sentence, magneting each to the white board, and when DD could come and tell me what the sentence said we would celebrate. Sometimes she would leave me some sentences as well. Sometimes I would have her use one of the sentences for copywork.

We didn't have a word wall beyond that--she tended to ignore things that stayed the same, and so I thought that the dynamism of this approach would be more likely to engage her. It was kind of fun for me as well, once I got it going.

What a great idea. This is definitely something I see us doing. I hadn't thought of a word wall either. I look forward to setting this up as the children learn to read.

:lol:

I don't have a word wall but I do have a word fridge door. We currently have reversible synonyms on there now. I'm looking into getting some magnetic sheets for the laser printer and printing out other vocabulary words, maybe Latin too. Dd loves sitting on a chair in front of the fridge writing notes and lists.