Menu

Brewer's yeast recipes that taste okay?

My dad has been singing the praises of brewers yeast. He eats it on plain yogurt but I can't handle that. Does anyone have any suggestions for eating it or better yet, an okay or even a tasty recipe? I googled "recipes with brewers yeast" without much luck. Thanks!

I think what you refer to as Brewer's Yeast is also called "Nutritional Yeast". correct? It is yellow, gold flakes and can be bought by the pound or ounce at health food stores.

We put it on our popcorn. It is awesome! Add butter & light salt... then lightly sprinkle on yeast in the same manner as parmesean or cinnamon, etc.

I met a lady in the health food store who makes gravy with it. Never done it & can't tell you how it taste, but she said use the yeast instead of flour in the recipe. She loved it & praised it!

It is an acquired taste too. It can be strong on the first bite. It took my second experience with popcorn to like it... now, I can't stand popcorn without it!

Nutritional yeast and brewers yeast are two different things, and it's the nutritional yeast you are after. I can't give you any hints on tasty ways to eat the stuff because I'm still looking myself! I'm sure there must be one, at least! Making gravy with it is a good idea. Might have to try that sometime.

Rosie

I put a heaping tablespoon in a few ounces of pineapple juice-- good stuff like knudesens not dole, that would never cover the taste, you are only using a few small ounces a day. I sometimes squeeze a small wedge of lemon into it, improves the taste dramatically! I let it sit for a few minutes & stir very well to make sure it is dissolved completely to be sure it goes down smoothly. My midwife told me you need the vitamin C for it to do it's magic! I chug it quickly followed by a glass of lime water. Gets your belly full in the a.m.!

Where I buy Brewers Yeast here in the U.S., nutritional yeast and brewers are the same thing, or so I was lead to believe.

I buy Lewis Labs brewers yeast- barely any taste.

They actually sell tablets of the stuff - you don't have to taste it at all.

:iagree: both this and the popcorn idea are good. Spike seasoning has nutritional yeast in the ingredients. It's been years since I took it in tablet form, but it was great for keeping the mosquitoes away, made my skin soft and peachy, and aided in getting my some sleep in my inability to sleep well.

• 1 year later...
Guest Itzpat!

Nutritional yeast really is great stuff. I have actually learned to swallow a couple teaspoons dissolved in tomato juice (which i already like). It seems the flavors complement one another.

I'm also working on a nutritional yeast salad dressing recipe that is close to palatable (not ready yet). It doesn't take much to make a great difference in nutrition!

My favorite recipe was for a "cheesy" broccoli soup, with no cheese at all-- just a LOT of nutritional yeast. When I asked the boys to name the ingredients in the soup they were devouring, they said, "Well, obviously, butter, cream, cheese..." Nope! :D

My recipe collection is down, but perhaps you can google it. I found the recipe online.

ETA: This wasn't it, but it's close!

I am impressed with all of the ideas. My dad still strongly encourages me to eat it. For awhile I ate 1 tsp mixed with plain yogurt, cocoa,sugar and sprinkled with toasted wheat germ. Don't know if that is enough to make a difference. I need to try it again and also some of the other ideas that everyone has. Thanks again.

• 2 years later...
Guest FourTwenty

Organic peanut butter jelly brewers yeast sandwich with a glass of milk.

Place a heaping table spoon of Lewis Labs Brewers Yeast between organic peanut butter, organic jelly and organic bread.

You wont even notice the yeast. :)

Hope you enjoy my OPBJBY recipie :hurray: :lol: :grouphug: :drool5: :thumbup: :w00t: :party: :seeya:

I took a ton of it to help my milk supply in the past...so, it's good for producing milk. ;)

I just sucked it up and put it in OJ and drank it. It wasn't a big deal to me even though it did taste gross.

Then, I discovered tablets. They sell them in HUGE containers at GNC. (and smaller ones too). They work just as well.

As already stated....nutritional yeast is different. :)

I'm a bit confused about brewer's yeast and nutritional yeast. In my experience, they are two different things (though both used as nutritional supplements) - Brewer's Yeast is brown, bitter, and unpleasant; Nutritional Yeast is yellow, cheesy, and I'll eat it by the spoonful. But google says they're the same strain of yeast. I think the difference may have to do with their growth medium.

Does it kill the fleas? Is it safe for cats? How much do you give your dog?

We used to give it to our cats for fleas when I was a kid. Not sure it helped, didn't seem to hurt.

I'm a bit confused about brewer's yeast and nutritional yeast. In my experience, they are two different things (though both used as nutritional supplements) - Brewer's Yeast is brown, bitter, and unpleasant; Nutritional Yeast is yellow, cheesy, and I'll eat it by the spoonful. But google says they're the same strain of yeast. I think the difference may have to do with their growth medium.

We used to give it to our cats for fleas when I was a kid. Not sure it helped, didn't seem to hurt.

I don't know what Nutritional yeast is used for or what it looks like, but I do know it's different. The two are not the same. Brewer's yeast is brown and gross. I honestly can't imagine putting it on popcorn or using it in anything cheesy to enhance the flavor. It definitely never tasted cheesy at all to me. So, my guess is that is Nutritional yeast.

They may be the same strain of yeast. I really don't know on that. I know that brewer's yeast is so named because it is naturally occurring in beer. That is why some women will drink a beer to help their milk supply. Personally, I just take it straight....you get more of it that way anyway. (Plus, I don't drink at all. ;))

As vegans, we eat a lot of nooch (nutritional yeast). It's definately different from brewer's yeast, in taste and in nutritional benefits. Nutritional yeast (some brands are KAL, Red Star, and Now) has B12 in it and is used in a lot of vegan cheese recipes. One easy way to use it is to toss some chickpeas (garbanzos) with olive oil, nutritional yeast, and whatever other seasonings you want (salt, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, etc.) and roast them in the oven until crunchy. My kids love them. Lewis Labs in brewer's yeast, not nooch. Brewer's yeast is what is leftover from making beer, nutritional yeast is not. HTH