Menu

Pre Algebra Math advice

This is my third and final child doing this so you would think it was easier but no. MY oldest did pre Algebra and ALgebra with EPGY. My middle did Saxon Agebra 1/2 and then went onto Jacobs ALgebra with no problem. Now I have my youngest who is the only one who is actually gifted in math. I was planning on having her do Chalkdust Pre-Algebra because she is very perfectionistic and argementative and I didn't feel like have more confrontations with her about how stupid math conventions are or some other dumb argument. SHe liked the sample on the web but then she started watching SAT MAth prep that her sister has and decided she doesn't want the program after all. She said it was going to slowly and it was boring because of that.. Fortunately I haven't ordered it yet. She was using the Calvert 7 program this last year but neither of us liked the scarcity of examples on some of the concepts and she isn't doing the Calvert program this year anyway.

I guess I want something to prepareher well for Algebra but self teaching since she prefers to read the explanation herself.

Life of Fred's fractions/decimals books are intended to be self-teaching, written to the student, clever and amusing, don't move slowly, and should cover Pre-Algebra. They're also relatively inexpensive and ship FAST. You can see samples on the author's website.

Caveat: As I recall (I haven't the book with me ATM) the answers are in the back of the book. You may have to black them out or something, or remove those pages.

I use MUS's algebra/geo combo as pre-alg/pre-geo and follow it the next yr with Foersters. They are eliminating them, but I ordered a set a couple of weeks ago for my dd to use next yr. It is "arithmetic" based alg and geo. It is a good introduction to factoring, basic geo, etc. My kids have had zero transition problems from Horizons 6 to it.

We just purchased it so I can't personally recommend it yet, but many of the moms on a gifted yahoo group use it with their math-gifted kids. If you want to read their comments on it, its at the yahoo group 'homeschooling mensans' (a great resource btw!).

There was a LARGE discount on Thinkwell at the homeschool buyers co-op. It is a video tutor (the same one chosen by The Teaching Company, who only picks the best of the best), he teaches short lessons with visuals and a little humor included--and there are practice problems.

We also enjoyed Life of Fred, (DS is BEGGING to start the Beginning Algebra book thats sitting here but I don't think he's ready for it yet) and the author is coming out with a Pre-Alg this fall. DS learned a LOT from the first two books but needs more practice on some of the topics covered that went beyond fractions/decimals/%. I don't feel confident that he could sail right through a pre-alg program without having more practice but with the new pre-alg I think it would be a more 'complete' program.

Hope this helps!

My son did the first two books, literally, for fun. He would beg me to get to the next chapter--you could get through those (Fractions/Decimals %) quickly and IMO it will better prepare you for whatever 'official' Pre-Alg you choose.

Another thought, by the time you get through those two, the Pre-Alg from LOF may be available and you could go right into that. I'd expect that you'd be solid with Pre-Alg if you complete those 3 books.

We are personally adding Thinkwell as well as Saxon 1/2 because with math its especially important to me that he has mastered it--in his sleep. Unless he starts complaining we will keep it up. We don't do every chapter/problem set so it hasn't been too painful. :) BTW if LOF Pre-Alg had been available when I needed it, I would have gone that route. I will still get it when it comes out for extra practice--he finds it that fun!

My dd who is gifted in math and very argumentative, and who also hates math so isn't nearly as far ahead as she could be (she did start Algebra at 11) has found this out.

1. Jacob's Algebra was way too slow and boring for her. TT was a waste of time for her.

2. Lial's Beginning Algebra was okay, but the other Lial's Algebra 1 book (can't think of the name) is better for self teaching.

BEST CHOICES:

Life of Fred--she just chose to do LoF Geometry, even though she hated the sound of it because she loves the story. I'm going to make her do some things from Dressler's 1973 Geometry because it includes some different things and has some excellent features to it. It doesn't have some of the latest things, but LoF does. LoF doesn't have a pre-Algebra, but we didn't even do pre-Alg. My second dd is doing a Russian Math instead of pre-Algebra and will be doing LoF Beginning Algebra along with the Home Companion for her first time though Algebra 1 (we are going to do it twice even if my dc are good at it the first time the way my eldest was.)

She never did pre-Algebra, because she had enough with Saxon 76 & SM 6. Negative numbers are so easy for my dc that that wasn't even an issue.

OUR FAVOURITES:

Life of Fred--perfect for self teaching if she likes the story of a 6 yo genious.

Dolciani 1965 (or the 1970 or 1975) Structure and Method. She likes it better than most, and it is better than most programs. Avoid the newer editions.

Algebra by Gelfand et al. This, though is a challenging book as it goes on, I'd have to send you the answer key which is on PDF because it's no longer on the internet, but is public domain (a few people on this forum have it). It's great for teaching theory, but some of the problems are very, very long, so there's a maturity issue involved. Mine has done some of it, but will finish it when she gets to Algebra 2 at 15 (she started Algebra at 11, but hated it so much we took 2 years to do it, then I made her do it again with a more rigourous program so that she could learn the thinking and theory). Usually dc ought to be at least 13 for this because of the length of the problems, unless they are gifted and like working on really hard, long problems. There are some that are hard even for people here with math degrees (but not all of them are that hard!!!!!)

Mine could be doing Trig or pre-Calculus by now, but hates it so much she's just getting ready for Geometry starting next week.

Edited by Karin