Menu

Do you ever feel as if you're just not doing enough, but

when you write it down, it looks good? I have been feeling lately as if we just aren't doing enough, but when I come here to ask for opinions, I always delete the post before ever posting it because it looks like a crazy question! Maybe it's because almost everything comes easily to dd, so it doesn't seem like we're accomplishing a huge amount, but just coasting. Does that make any sense? Also, we're not very consistent with art and music, and we're having difficulty finding a groove with history. But she's only in first grade, so I think I'm just worrying too much. Here's what she is doing:

FLL: set to finish second grade work by the end of May, doing one lesson a day; currently memorizing prepositions with great success; occasionally writing letters to relatives

Abeka cursive: two pages a day

math: a few pages everyday in Singapore 2B (CWP, IP as needed), addition flash cards everyday, addition copywork everyday, we haven't started memorizing subtraction facts yet, which worries me.

Reading: Little House on The Prairie, usually one chapter a day + free reading, usually daily

Spelling: 3 lessons left in All About Spelling Level 2; ready to start Level 3. I have no worries here!

Science: currently studying human body with NOEO biology I, averaging one day of reading + 1 day of experiments per week (*no* experiments completed this week)

History: trying to do Evan Moor History Pockets: Ancient Civilizations as a break from SOTW, vol. 1; we're having trouble with this one (we didn't do *anything* this week, and we're only up to chapter 15 in SOTW, aargh!

Music: Themes to Remember, Vol. 1 w/library books about composers, classical kids cd's, and cd's of selected complete works (We were doing really well with this, but after going to a Mozart concert at our city's Symphony Orchestra in January and subsequently reading a Magic Flute picture book and listening to the accompanying cd, we have done very little.)

Art: Artistic Pursuits, Vol. 1 . We do this sporadically. We haven't done a lesson for a few weeks. We went to a Monet exhibit in January and read several books about Monet. Since then, we haven't done much.

Physical Education: Gymnastics 2 hours a week. No worries here.

Extras: Girl Scouts, once a month.

Should I be worried that we're not consistent with music and art, and that we're not very far in history? Also, it seems that we don't read very scholarly selections for reading. Should I make that an issue, or just be glad that she can read so well for now? I think I'm just having PMS. Because when I look at it, it looks good, but I still feel like a huge slacker. And even chocolate isn't helping. I think I'll go to bed and hope to feel better tomorrow. Thanks for letting me vent.

when you write it down, it looks good? I have been feeling lately as if we just aren't doing enough, but when I come here to ask for opinions, I always delete the post before ever posting it because it looks like a crazy question! Maybe it's because almost everything comes easily to dd, so it doesn't seem like we're accomplishing a huge amount, but just coasting. Does that make any sense? Also, we're not very consistent with art and music, and we're having difficulty finding a groove with history. But she's only in first grade, so I think I'm just worrying too much. Here's what she is doing:

FLL: set to finish second grade work by the end of May, doing one lesson a day; currently memorizing prepositions with great success; occasionally writing letters to relatives

Abeka cursive: two pages a day

math: a few pages everyday in Singapore 2B (CWP, IP as needed), addition flash cards everyday, addition copywork everyday, we haven't started memorizing subtraction facts yet, which worries me.

Reading: Little House on The Prairie, usually one chapter a day + free reading, usually daily

Spelling: 3 lessons left in All About Spelling Level 2; ready to start Level 3. I have no worries here!

Science: currently studying human body with NOEO biology I, averaging one day of reading + 1 day of experiments per week (*no* experiments completed this week)

History: trying to do Evan Moor History Pockets: Ancient Civilizations as a break from SOTW, vol. 1; we're having trouble with this one (we didn't do *anything* this week, and we're only up to chapter 15 in SOTW, aargh!

Music: Themes to Remember, Vol. 1 w/library books about composers, classical kids cd's, and cd's of selected complete works (We were doing really well with this, but after going to a Mozart concert at our city's Symphony Orchestra in January and subsequently reading a Magic Flute picture book and listening to the accompanying cd, we have done very little.)

Art: Artistic Pursuits, Vol. 1 . We do this sporadically. We haven't done a lesson for a few weeks. We went to a Monet exhibit in January and read several books about Monet. Since then, we haven't done much.

Physical Education: Gymnastics 2 hours a week. No worries here.

Extras: Girl Scouts, once a month.

Should I be worried that we're not consistent with music and art, and that we're not very far in history? Also, it seems that we don't read very scholarly selections for reading. Should I make that an issue, or just be glad that she can read so well for now? I think I'm just having PMS. Because when I look at it, it looks good, but I still feel like a huge slacker. And even chocolate isn't helping. I think I'll go to bed and hope to feel better tomorrow. Thanks for letting me vent.

You are doing WAAAAY more than enough.

You remember back in school? (And no, I don't normally compare a home school to a public school, but hear me out...) How you had art one week, music the next? Twice a month. And they NEVER EVER took you to a museum when you were six to see a Monet exhibit. Ever. Not.

And I'm not sure about you -- your school when you were six may have been inferior that way -- but I know that my school would never have settled for less than four trips to the symphony per year, twice in the fall, twice in the spring. With books and followup learning, of course. (Ummm, NOT!)

You taught them Monet and Mozart and took them to the museum and the symphony to boot? And you're WORRIED?

Science, when I was a kid and when I taught science to ds and dd, was formally taught only once or twice a week, even up to 8th grade. No experiment this week? Puleeze. ;)

Girl, go to bed. Then in the morning, get your amazing self a special treat for being such a kick-butt homeschool teacher. Not to mention a dedicated, caring mom. Good on you. Now quit yer worrying. Your kids are soooo lucky.

(BTW, 1st grade for ds? 1.5 hours tops. Two, if we were into a game or something. It just doesn't take that long. And just because you're having fun doesn't mean they're not learning.)

Now watch this video. And Stop It! :D

You remember back in school? (And no, I don't normally compare a home school to a public school, but hear me out...) How you had art one week, music the next? Twice a month. And they NEVER EVER took you to a museum when you were six to see a Monet exhibit. Ever. Not.

And I'm not sure about you -- your school when you were six may have been inferior that way -- but I know that my school would never have settled for less than four trips to the symphony per year, twice in the fall, twice in the spring. With books and followup learning, of course. (Ummm, NOT!)

You taught them Monet and Mozart and took them to the museum and the symphony to boot? And you're WORRIED?

Science, when I was a kid and when I taught science to ds and dd, was formally taught only once or twice a week, even up to 8th grade. No experiment this week? Puleeze. ;)

Girl, go to bed. Then in the morning, get your amazing self a special treat for being such a kick-butt homeschool teacher. Not to mention a dedicated, caring mom. Good on you. Now quit yer worrying. Your kids are soooo lucky.

(BTW, 1st grade for ds? 1.5 hours tops. Two, if we were into a game or something. It just doesn't take that long. And just because you're having fun doesn't mean they're not learning.)

Ok, Pam's a veteran, so her opinion counts. She's got a kid in college.

I have a 2nd grader. But fwiw, I concur. ;) (Esp STOP IT!):D

May I interrupt this well deserved hand-clapping session for Terri's most excellent job of teaching her little people (person?) to say how much I love this video? I mean LOVE. Ever since watching it a week or so ago, I have found more reasons to share its content within my conversations. So funny. So succinct. So perfect. :)

Doran

Aubrey I smile every time I see your posts. :) Your Avatar photo reminds me of Claudia Christian. Even my dh husband did a double take when looking at your photo. That photo is so much like the character she played on Babylon 5.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm763861760/nm0160004

Definitely a star! LOL

And if you think that Babylon 5 chic looks like me--that must be a REALLY good photo! :D I think I might be inspired to watch the show, at least, though.;)

I am in Ohio. Can you explain more to me about being 'required' to do art?

The notification form which I submitted to our local public school system used the exact words of Ohio Revised Code regarding homeschooling requirements. There are certain subjects that you must affirm you will cover in your homeschool each year. Fine arts, including music, is listed as one of those subjects. It doesn't elaborate about how you must cover it or what you must teach, but you are supposed to be doing something for art. Now, imho, at this level it could be just providing art supplies and allowing your kids to make art, or checking out some library books with pictures of fine art for them to look at, or getting some art postcards for them to play with, etc. My dd loves doing art and seems to have a gift for it, and we couldn't afford art lessons or classes this year, so I decided to buy an art program. As I mentioned in my op, we are sporadic with it. HTH:)

"math: a few pages everyday in Singapore 2B (CWP, IP as needed), addition flash cards everyday, addition copywork everyday, we haven't started memorizing subtraction facts yet, which worries me."

For what it's worth, I don't do any fact drill with Singapore. Hobbes is just picking up the facts by doing the Singapore exercises.

Best wishes

Laura

Okay, Pam. I didn't see your response until this morning, because I had already gone to bed. I feel so much better this morning! Thanks for the response. You are one of my virtual heroes, so I really appreciate your advice. I did watch the video, and it was hilarious. I love Bob Newhart. I am going to take his advice and just Stop It! And really, upon re-reading my post this morning, with a clear, rested head, I feel silly and I think people were probably thinking I was just trying to show off, but last night I truly felt like a failure.

One more question, as the mother of gifted children, did you ever lose the ability to gauge what is normal? When everything comes very easily to dd, it just seems as if we're not doing that much. When my first grader is reading on a fourth to fifth grade level, I often forget that most kids are only reading beginning chapter books and that I shouldn't worry if dd just wants to read picture books, because she is still 6, after all! I am a lot more relaxed than I come off as on these boards. I give dd lots of time to play and just be a kid. And we are very loosely-scheduled people. I just occasionally have these moments of confusion. From now on, I think I should just watch that video and not post. Thanks for the laugh.:)

I think I have realized what makes me have these worrying episodes. I am such an undisciplined person by nature, that I try to be extremely vigilant about our schoolwork because I fear that at any moment my lazy nature will take over and everything will fall apart. The past few weeks have not been very productive ones. We were all sick and took several days off to recover. Right after that, dh had to take a few days off work because of horrible winter weather, so we just played with him. Then my sister had her baby and we took a day off to go visit her and take care of my older nephew. And then on Friday, we just didn't have it in us to do a whole day's work. I guess I'm just afraid this is going to become the pattern, that I'm going to give up for the year. But I know I should just give myself some grace and realize that we can pick up and start a regular schedule again and taking all that time off was completely justified.

Okay, Pam. I didn't see your response until this morning, because I had already gone to bed. I feel so much better this morning! Thanks for the response. You are one of my virtual heroes, so I really appreciate your advice. I did watch the video, and it was hilarious. I love Bob Newhart. I am going to take his advice and just Stop It! And really, upon re-reading my post this morning, with a clear, rested head, I feel silly and I think people were probably thinking I was just trying to show off, but last night I truly felt like a failure.

One more question, as the mother of gifted children, did you ever lose the ability to gauge what is normal? When everything comes very easily to dd, it just seems as if we're not doing that much. When my first grader is reading on a fourth to fifth grade level, I often forget that most kids are only reading beginning chapter books and that I shouldn't worry if dd just wants to read picture books, because she is still 6, after all! I am a lot more relaxed than I come off as on these boards. I give dd lots of time to play and just be a kid. And we are very loosely-scheduled people. I just occasionally have these moments of confusion. From now on, I think I should just watch that video and not post. Thanks for the laugh.:)

I think I have realized what makes me have these worrying episodes. I am such an undisciplined person by nature, that I try to be extremely vigilant about our schoolwork because I fear that at any moment my lazy nature will take over and everything will fall apart. The past few weeks have not been very productive ones. We were all sick and took several days off to recover. Right after that, dh had to take a few days off work because of horrible winter weather, so we just played with him. Then my sister had her baby and we took a day off to go visit her and take care of my older nephew. And then on Friday, we just didn't have it in us to do a whole day's work. I guess I'm just afraid this is going to become the pattern, that I'm going to give up for the year. But I know I should just give myself some grace and realize that we can pick up and start a regular schedule again and taking all that time off was completely justified.

Hero? Pshaw. You should meet and hang out with me. You'd get over that SOOOO fast!

Were we separated at birth? I swear I could have written this post.

Yes. It was almost impossible to find perspective with the first one. It was so hard for me to remember that picture books are IMPORTANT -- "vital" might not be too strong a word -- for young children up til about eight. We cut kids off of picture books waaaay too early in this culture. Picture books are rich. They have, in most cases, higher level vocabulary and generally better writing than children's chapter books. They open up the world for a child, even a bright or gifted child. Sometimes *especially* for a bright or gifted child.

It was so hard to remember that if we were done with a math lesson in seven minutes, that I shouldn't then give TWO math lessons. The first one needed to settle and "percolate." But I couldn't always reconcile that "short" and "good" were compatible. I should have read Charlotte Mason way back then. ;) She had it right. (I read Mary Pride, instead. Oh boy.)

As to being paranoid about self-discipline, I can so relate. Homeschooling was my JOB. Homeschooling meant my child/children's FUTURE. And I was not, so help me Hannah, going to screw that up. I was going to be diligent, faithful, disciplined, and consistent. And you know what? I was. Everything else in my life might have gone to hell in a handbasket, but 95% of the time, I set my goals for what I wanted to accomplish and met them. With days off, yes, for life to happen and spontaneous learning to happen. But there was a core of focused time that was sacred, untouchable. I think you are very right to have this as a concern and a goal. Your determination will ensure your success, I believe.

When weeks like the past two happen, you are absolutely right, IMO, to take the time. Sick is a no-brainer. Of course you take time off for that. Dad is home? This life is too precious and uncertain for you not to take advantage of such times. Enjoy them, cherish them, retroactively "schedule" them if it makes it easier to do. Sister with a new baby? Of COURSE you do this. Homeschooling gives you the flexibility to do this -- with NO guilt, as you discovered. And Friday? PFffff.

When you start with renewed vigor and energy on Monday, you'll have enjoyed a spring break and will be the more determined to do what needs to be done with joy.

Hero? Pshaw. You should meet and hang out with me. You'd get over that SOOOO fast!

Were we separated at birth? I swear I could have written this post.

Yes. It was almost impossible to find perspective with the first one. It was so hard for me to remember that picture books are IMPORTANT -- "vital" might not be too strong a word -- for young children up til about eight. We cut kids off of picture books waaaay too early in this culture. Picture books are rich. They have, in most cases, higher level vocabulary and generally better writing than children's chapter books. They open up the world for a child, even a bright or gifted child. Sometimes *especially* for a bright or gifted child.>>>>

I'm going to second Pam, even though she really doesn't need it :), as I love picture books for my advanced girls and would use them even if they weren't reading ahead. At one point I started trying to convert my kids to the typical chapter books because they were "reading level" appropriate, as opposed to age appropriate, and after speaking with my local children's librarian I immediately stopped. As Pam said, the picture are much better, the word choice is much better and it is closer to poetry which has its own benefits.

I would suggest that there are some darn good picture books at the 5th and 6th grade reading level that having kids still read them at that age level isn't a bad thing.

Back to OPs post I think you have a great schedule. For art and music, when I was homeschooling, I only required that I averaged a lesson per week as that what my local public schools did because otherwise I'd never get it done.

Although my kids are different from yours, we had the same problem with SOTW 1. They'll listen to it happily in the car, but it seems to fly over both the 7 and 5 yos head. I threw in the towel on using it now and put together a book basket on Ancient Egypt using Veritas suggestions, some SL picks, the lists in the SOTW AG and what I had on hand. I added in a coloring book, sticker book, treasure chest and the Egypt section of the EM Ancient history book. So far we've read a bunch, played with the build a pyramid stickers, colored and watched a video on the pyramid builders by National Geographic. My kids know a bit about pyramids, mummies, Egyptian gods, the Nile, pharaohs and hieroglyphs. They couldn't tell you much about the Old Kingdom, Middle Kingdom, or New Kingdom but I hope to really use SOTW in depth in a couple of years. We'll probably spend a month or two more on Egypt and when they're sick of it move on to Mesopotamia (if I can find enough little kid friendly stuff) or Greece and Rome if I can't.

I had to revise my grand history scheme in the face of crushing reality, but I think we've got a new, more workable plan to study history and enjoy it. We'll do book baskets until ds is in 3rd grade and dd is in 1st and then do SOTW for 3 years working through the summers. Well, that's my plan for now. It will probably change!