Menu

I always laugh when making laundry detergent

I make the powder in my food processor. The dogs crowd me in case I drop something cause you know "if mom is making something in the kitchen it must be food. If she drops some I can sample it!" Boy would they be upset if they did eat it!

Speaking of homemade laundry detergent - dh doesn't like the way his clothes smell with the Fels Naptha soap. Has anyone tried another kind? preferably something natural.

I make the powder in my food processor. The dogs crowd me in case I drop something cause you know "if mom is making something in the kitchen it must be food. If she drops some I can sample it!" Boy would they be upset if they did eat it!

Speaking of homemade laundry detergent - dh doesn't like the way his clothes smell with the Fels Naptha soap. Has anyone tried another kind? preferably something natural.

:svengo:Now, I have heard of everything! :svengo: When do you find the time?;):svengo:

:svengo:Now, I have heard of everything! :svengo: When do you find the time?;):svengo:

It honestly takes 5 minutes to make the powder! I use the food processor to grate the soap, measure the grinds (it's usually 3 cups), change the blade in the processor to the chopping blade, add the soap, borax and washing soda and process for a while. That is all it takes. 5 minutes!

It honestly takes 5 minutes to make the powder! I use the food processor to grate the soap, measure the grinds (it's usually 3 cups), change the blade in the processor to the chopping blade, add the soap, borax and washing soda and process for a while. That is all it takes. 5 minutes!

Why do you make your own Laundry detergent? Does it work as well as Tide? I have to admit that I am a Tide girl. I tried some of the natural products and some of the cheaper products, but they didn't seem to work as well as Tide. I may have girls, but they get as dirty as some of the boys.;)

Why do you make your own Laundry detergent? Does it work as well as Tide? I have to admit that I am a Tide girl. I tried some of the natural products and some of the cheaper products, but they didn't seem to work as well as Tide. I may have girls, but they get as dirty as some of the boys.;)

I think it's more natural. I know it's less additives in the water. It's also cheaper. It's easy to make so why not?

You can use most any castille or fat based soaps, not glycerine soaps. I use Dr. Bronner's Lavender, and I got a wonderful Lemon Verbena bar last week at Whole Foods.

The detergent is easy to make, SUPER cheap, and fun too!

Oh, and the Duggars website say the liquid is HE safe!

We make the liquid soap and it saves us TONS of money. My husband has had to tweek the recipe sense we have hard water, but it works pretty good.

Is the liquid soap recipe the same as the one with the Fels Naptha, borax and washing soda?? I've been using that one for years now but I'm always up for a new adventure. :p

http://iamaud.blogspot.com/2009/06/and-more-laundry-soap.html

This is how I make mine. I've never made it with pure Fels Naptha. I had been using Octagon (instead of Fels Naptha) and it smelled horrible!

If you want to make it powder it's almost the same recipe (use 1C of each soap), but don't cook it or add water.

Edited by AudreyTN