Menu

DD10 has just blessed me with her wonderful spirit!

A few weeks ago I wrote about DD10's reaction :ack2: to the possibility of being homeschooled with the twins (3rd grade) this fall. DD has been attending a wonderful Classical Christian private school since 1st grade, and we are thrilled with the school (twins were there last year as well) but for preventive financial reasons (I think it's wise to get off the tracks when you see the train coming at you) :w00t:, we told her there was a likelihood she would not be returning in September. She was distraught.

I DH and I dropped the entire subject (knowing that she would be h-schooled but deciding not to pursue the issue right now) and have been incredibly busy getting our classroom ready (a floor to ceiling, wall to wall undertaking in a 25' x 30' room).

This morning, she came to me and said, 'Mom, I love what you are doing to make this space a classroom. I would love to be part of your school. I will be just great with homeschooling and seeing my friends once in awhile. Do you think I could have some playdates with [school friend], and [school friend], during the school year?'

I was so choked up (and I am not a choked up kind of person) - I told her that she had blessed me so much with her understanding and with her unselfish spirit, and I thanked her and hugged her. :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

My birthday is next week -- I have already received my present!

This morning, she came to me and said, 'Mom, I love what you are doing to make this space a classroom. I would love to be part of your school. I will be just great with homeschooling and seeing my friends once in awhile. Do you think I could have some playdates with [school friend], and [school friend], during the school year?'

What a sweet and sensitive thing for her to say.

That is just the sweetest thing. I think your approach was very wise (says the woman who also overreacts in the moment and then comes to wisdom in her own time :blush:).

You are very kind to characterize my approach as 'wise' -- Honestly, it was more like: 'I am going to keep quiet about this because this is the way it has to be, and I know we are going to get flak about it, and I am NOT up to it right now.' Deep deep down, I was praying/hoping that DD would come around on her own, and have peace with what was ultimately 'a fait accompli.'

AND: That is SO me: (that overreacting 'thing' and then calming down and seeing clearly) -- SO SO SO ME! :cursing:

Which begs the question: From whom did DD10 inherit her rather mature approach? Could it be: 'Do as I say and not as I do?' :confused:

I am thankful for dd's gracious and kind and mature beyond her years response to homeschooling.

She is doing, right now, what I had hoped she would do: playing with dd8 and helping her get her 'things' organized for school! And, telling dd8 how great it is going to be to be here homeschooling with me!