Menu

Mapping the World with Art

Cindy in NY

I know there was talk about this a few months ago. Ellen McHenry (author of The Elements) has finished Mapping the World with Art and it looks fantastic!

If you are looking for something to use for world history/geography you should give it a look. There are several chapters online so you can really see what your getting. I think my boys are going to love it.

http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/id151.html

Right!

It is just so perfect. We are finishing American history this year and planning to do a year of world history overview with geography next year, but I have to buy it now. I'm afraid something will happen and I won't be able to get my hands on it in a year. I do plan to do it with them, the drawing is broken down into steps even I can do, as artistically challenged as I am.

I know there was talk about this a few months ago. Ellen McHenry (author of The Elements) has finished Mapping the World with Art and it looks fantastic!

If you are looking for something to use for world history/geography you should give it a look. There are several chapters online so you can really see what your getting. I think my boys are going to love it.

http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/id151.html

I don't know whether to thank you or cry.:D Swimmer Dude is map-mad and used to sleep with an atlas under his pillow. He enjoys planning camping trips and telling us which route to take. We have been frustrated with most geography and mapping work that we've used in homeschooling outside of the Trail Guides. If I get this I have to replace my existing assignments.:tongue_smilie: I don't really need this...right? It's not exactly inexpensive, but it would cover two years for us and that would really make it less...Board breaks are productive and cheap.:leaving:

This looks amazing! My kids love to draw so I think this would be a huge hit here. I am trying to figure out how I would make this work though. If you plan to use this are you adding it to your history curriculum or doing it as a seperate course? We are using TOG yr 2 this coming year and I am not sure if I should incorporate it in, or if that is even doable? Thanks!

Edited by Quiver0f10

This looks amazing! My kids love to draw so I think this would be a huge hit here. I am trying to fure out how I would make this work though. If you plan to use this are you adding it to your history curriculum or doing it as a seperate course? We are using TOG yr 2 this coming year and I am not sure if I should incorporate it in, or if that is even doable? Thanks!

Jean, I am wondering the same thing. We'll be doing TOG1 tweaked this year and I would like to incorporate this in. Ms.McHenry says to allow for 3 hours a week to finish the course for the year. However, if you are only doing part of it this year, I'm thinking the time commitment would be less. I am going to download the first couple of lessons and see if I can tie them into TOG. I'm not sure how to handle base maps. I'd love to hear what others think. I may just be romanticizing the whole process and should stick with what I have. However, last year we made an antiqued map of Capt. Cook's discoveries. This was from Enrichment4you. It beat the socks off of a map that's printed.

I don't have any idea how it would work with TOG. I am going to use it with a little Sonlight and a little Around the World in 180 Days. At least that is where my head is now. I've had my eye on it for a while now waiting for it to be done and it just looks to good for me to pass up.

I don't have any idea how it would work with TOG. I am going to use it with a little Sonlight and a little Around the World in 180 Days. At least that is where my head is now. I've had my eye on it for a while now waiting for it to be done and it just looks to good for me to pass up.

Cindy, thanks again for bringing it to our attention. It's a beautiful program. And you're right, it does look to good to pass up.:001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the CDs, which were relatively cheap, around $20, and printed it myself. It came with curriculum CD and 2 drawing CD (she actually teaches the drawing). It is as good as it looks so far.

I added it in as a seperate subject and it isn't causing any confusion. My dc are dd12 and ds9 and we are doing OM 7 & 4.

You could print it or you could read selections from the computer and only print what you need. It seems to be very versital in that regard.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I will try to answer:001_smile:

Tani

I don't usually get all crazy-excited over a new piece of curriculum any more, but this one just makes me giddy. ;) I've *wanted* Mapping the World by Heart or Draw Your World to work for me in the past, but neither really gave us the step-by-step that is so clear in the samples and videos for Mapping the World with Art. On the one hand, I don't think I can possibly fit it in this year, but on the other, I watched the youtube video and read some sample lessons, and I just had to order it. It's *exactly* what I wanted those other programs to be, and I can't wait.

Even if we don't use the whole program till next year, I'm hoping we can pull out the dvd sometimes to match a region we're studying and get a better picture of the area in our minds from watching and trying to follow along. Then maybe we'll do the complete program next year...