Menu

VideoText Algebra

zaichiki

Anyone have experience using this? I just picked up Module A and B, used, from another homeschooler. I'm looking for strengths and weaknesses, especially after using Singapore Math. I seem to remember more people using this several years ago, but rarely hear about it anymore.

Thanks!

:lurk5:

I also just picked up Module A used. It is what Dr. Cotter recommends for after Rightstart Geometrical Approach so I"m hoping it's good. What I was looking for in an algebra program was one that didn't just tell the student the algorithm but explained the whys behind it as Dr. Cotter did in RS (and similar to Singapore Math). We'll actually do SM5 and 6 before heading into VTA.

Capt_Uhura

We did two sections of Module A last year after completed Singapore level6. It went well, so we will continue with it in September. If you ask again in January, I should be able to give you more details.

Here is what I like about it so far:

1. Short lessons

2. Material clearly presented

3. Computer graphics helps with understanding esp. for visual learners

You can find VT used especially in VHS format very inexpensively.

Dd14 is in the middle of Module D of VideoText Algebra. Each lesson builds on the following one. And mastery is required before moving on. It also requires deeper thinking than programs that just teach the formulas. I have been very pleased with it so far, but it isn't for the faint of heart. I am watching it along with her as algebra class was a long time ago. The explanations are clear, and they explain why the formulas work not just how they work.

DOes anyone know where I can purchase this item for cheaper?:grouphug:
You can put a post in the Want to buy section on this board and see if anyone responds. BUT, it's not a cheap item, so if you decide you like it, you have to be willing to make the investment.

My oldest used VT all the way through every module. His dad worked with him, so I don't have detailed information. I do know that he enjoyed it and learned the algebraic concepts very well! We were all very happy with it!

ETA: I've never seen it for sale inexpensively! I had mine (VHS) for sale a couple of years ago for much less than others were asking, and people still told me I was asking too much. I didn't see anyone else's for sale any cheaper than what I had. Now, it could be at that time that's the way it was. Maybe now you can find them cheaper? Maybe our meanings of "very inexpensively" are different! :D

Edited by Brindee

I just recently bought this as part of the Intermediate Deluxe package from RightStart. I figured buying just Module A as an add-on to something else would be a good way to see if we like it without a huge investment. (As opposed to plunking down $300+ for the Abeka DVDs that we were planning on doing, and then possibly regretting it.) Anyway, just this evening we watched the introductory Teaching Session which explains how the program works, and I think we're going to like it very much.

It does say that the first lesson is NOT "review", because he goes back and explains the *why* (therefore giving it new material that you wouldn't get in a simple "review" course). He emphasizes over and over again not to move on if you haven't fully understood it, and suggests several different ways to check for mastery prior to completing each lesson.

Anyway, I'm hoping this is going to be a big hit! I especialy like the fact that I've *purchased* these DVDs and they're MINE to use with all 3 children. With Abeka's DVDs, I was only renting them, and I'll have to spend the entire $300+ to get the same course for each of my next children, even though I already have the Answers Key, the TE, etc. With Videotext, he even explains that the books are NOT intended to be used as consumables so that you can reuse them with your next children. However, the Progress book (which contains the quizzes) are laid out so that the student can write directly on those, but he suggests photocopying or doing "whatever you want with them" to "make them work for you" because they YOURS. In light of how many publishers these days are saying you can't resell, rent, or even GIVE away the materials you've purchased, I love this guy's attitude! ;)

Donna - please post your thoughts as you get further into your VT. OK so w/ Abeka you can't use it with the rest of your kids???? You have to pay $300 for each successive kid? You're kidding! Is it that great of a program? I somehow doubt it.

Exactly. Especially since I was left with doubts at the end of the course as to how much she really *understood*. She definitely showed improvement over the course of the year, and she loved the teacher. I was very pleased with it while she was going through it. I just didn't feel confident at the end and wanted to try something different before buying the next level... particularly since I couldn't decide whether I *needed* to spend the money (and her spend a whole year's worth of time) doing their Pre-Algebra if she didn't need it. I just didn't know, and wasn't willing to take the risk w/o trying something else first. Not at that price. :001_huh:

I haven't tried VT, but am leaning toward using it when dd gets through the RightStart Level E and Geometry programs. I am piping up in this thread because I met the author of the VT program at a hs'ing conference. I found him to be a very funny and insightful guy who put a huge focus on understanding math and helping everybody to believe they can do math (one of his big pet peeves it seems is when people are guided, through comments or experiences in their life, to believe that they can't do math). If his passion for math and desire to encourage deep understanding while at the same time making math approachable and understandable for everybody translate into his program, then I'm guessing it's an excellent program.

ds (age14) math lover- "Video Text was the greatest. I didn't waste time in so much review and I could move as fast as I wanted. The explanations were clear. This is a great program.!"

dd (age 17) math competent - but not a math lover...."I liked VT, and it explained things well. I wish there had been a textbook because it was a pain to find the right video when I needed to review something. I needed at least a week to review for the cumulative tests and going back through the videos was not the best way to study."

dd(age 19) weak in math- always hated it- "VT had clear explanations but not nearly enough review for me. I wish I had never left Math-U-See."

So there you have it. Three different opinions from the same family. For the rest of my kids, I will use VT if they show a love for math and lean towards a math related field for college. For my math struggling kids, I will go with a program that has more built in review.

HTH,

Leanna

As far as age, could you tell me if a rising 6th grader (just turned 11) might be able to do these? I'd like a Video Text...separate pre-algebra....but...is this doable??

Thanks!

Carrie:-)

If you student has their fundamentals including all operations for fractions and decimals, he should be able to start VideoText. However, not all students have the mental maturity to understand the abstractness of algebraic concepts at this age. We did Teaching Textbooks Pre-algebra in 6th grade and dd hit a huge brick wall when we hit the chapter on integers.

ds (age14) math lover- "Video Text was the greatest. I didn't waste time in so much review and I could move as fast as I wanted. The explanations were clear. This is a great program.!"

dd (age 17) math competent - but not a math lover...."I liked VT, and it explained things well. I wish there had been a textbook because it was a pain to find the right video when I needed to review something. I needed at least a week to review for the cumulative tests and going back through the videos was not the best way to study."

My dd14 uses the student worktext to go back and review topics. It seems to have enough of the explanations that she hasn't had to go back to the videos.

dd(age 19) weak in math- always hated it- "VT had clear explanations but not nearly enough review for me. I wish I had never left Math-U-See."

Edited for clarity:

The jury is still out if there is enough practice but so far I think we are okay. If it turns out she needs more practice, I may have dd use ALEKS. But there are cumulative reviews after each unit test so I should have a pretty good feel if she isn't retaining the material.

Edited by HiddenJewel

I met the author as a HS convention. He said he didn't believe in Pre-Algebra..it tends to just be busy work. He said if your child is ready for Pre-Algebra, then they should be able to start VT, because the beginning breaks down everything you need to know for Algebra.

I met the author as a HS convention. He said he didn't believe in Pre-Algebra..it tends to just be busy work. He said if your child is ready for Pre-Algebra, then they should be able to start VT, because the beginning breaks down everything you need to know for Algebra.

THANK YOU!!!! That's exactly what I've been wondering for months now.

I believe if a child is a bit younger, such as NayfiesMama's student in the post above, then a year of "official" Pre-Algebra could be beneficial just to allow time for maturation. But I've suspected that it would be a waste of time and money to do a whole year of Pre-Alg for my dd who will be 14 in the fall.

My dd14 uses the student worktext to go back and review topics. It seems to have enough of the explanations that she hasn't had to go back to the videos.
The IG gives detailed solutions for the quizzes (Progress Tests), and the Solutions Manual shows every step of the problems so that the student can go back and figure out where he went wrong. Then there's also a book called "Course Notes" which shows exactly the same things shown on the video.

I am a little concerned about the lack of review and practice. I may have dd do a little ALEKS after she has finished to make sure she has remembered the material.
He says in the teaching session of the video (directed to both parent and student) that you can photocopy the quizzes (Progress Tests) and use them however you need to for review and practice. And there are two versions of the quiz for each and every lesson. I guess I figure (I'm hoping, anyway) that between that, the video lessons themselves, and all the other books included that we'll have plenty of opportunity for my dd to master the material before she moves on.

There's also a sheet included (it's bright orange, although if you bought the program used, you might not have this) which lists numerous suggestions as to how to go about making sure the student has mastered the material. There's also a toll-free help line. My package included a bright green sheet with ! IMPORTANT ! all over it, emphasizing to call the help line at the FIRST sign of trouble or confusion.

I'm just so completely impressed with all the helps available in this course! I really feel like we can't go wrong, and unless my dd ends up simply hating the course for some reason, I don't foresee us going back to Abeka.

I am a little concerned about the lack of review and practice. I may have dd do a little ALEKS after she has finished to make sure she has remembered the material.

Earlier you said you were very impressed with the course. Where are you finding lack of review and practice, and why do you think you'll need to spend some time with ALEKS afterward? Do you plan to have her do the entire two years of VT in succession?

Earlier you said you were very impressed with the course. Where are you finding lack of review and practice, and why do you think you'll need to spend some time with ALEKS afterward? Do you plan to have her do the entire two years of VT in succession?

I am still very impressed with VT Algebra. I feel their explanations are very thorough and well done. At this point I do not know that there is lack of review, but I am reserving my final opinion on that part of the program until dd has finished all the modules and can still go back and complete the work from the earlier lessons and that she can apply her knowledge to other algebra problems not from VT. This is one way I test if the material has truly been mastered. (Thus the possibility of using ALEKS to review instead of more VT material.) With the cumulative reviews after each unit test, it may be a non-issue.

She finished Modules A through 1/2 of D this past school year. She will pick up in Module D next week. I figure the quickest she will finish is the semester mark but I have all year allotted.

The plan at this point is to continue on to VT Geometry whenever she finishes Algebra.

The IG gives detailed solutions for the quizzes (Progress Tests), and the Solutions Manual shows every step of the problems so that the student can go back and figure out where he went wrong. Then there's also a book called "Course Notes" which shows exactly the same things shown on the video.

Having full solutions is great!

We have found the Course Notes to be of little use to go back and review. The explanations in the Student Worktext have been much more useful.

He says in the teaching session of the video (directed to both parent and student) that you can photocopy the quizzes (Progress Tests) and use them however you need to for review and practice. And there are two versions of the quiz for each and every lesson. I guess I figure (I'm hoping, anyway) that between that, the video lessons themselves, and all the other books included that we'll have plenty of opportunity for my dd to master the material before she moves on.

There is definitely plenty of material to choose from. I like to have problems from other sources to ensure that my students can apply what they have learned to other formats not used in the main math program. This helps me ascertain if they are just following a formula or if they truly understand the process.

One thing I found out the hard way is that the extra worksheets online are for students who have already mastered the concepts. It is NOT for students who are struggling to understand.

I'm just so completely impressed with all the helps available in this course! I really feel like we can't go wrong, and unless my dd ends up simply hating the course for some reason, I don't foresee us going back to Abeka.

Unfortunately, not all the helps are available if you purchase used unless you pay the additional subscription fee. But that is something the purchaser has to figure in to their decision.

It sounds like you purchased new so that isn't an issue for you. Plus you have the money-back guarantee.

I like to have problems from other sources to ensure that my students can apply what they have learned to other formats not used in the main math program. This helps me ascertain if they are just following a formula or if they truly understand the process.

I'll be interested to see what you find out about whether your dd remembers the info. When I talked with the author on the phone, he said he wrote test questions for the SAT's for years & they were always looking for ways to present questions in new ways too.

Merry :-)

I'll be interested to see what you find out about whether your dd remembers the info. When I talked with the author on the phone, he said he wrote test questions for the SAT's for years & they were always looking for ways to present questions in new ways too.

Merry :-)

That doesn't surprise me because VT's teaching approach is one that should be able to be applied to any problem format. They concentrate on the student undertstanding what s/he is doing instead of just teaching how to complete a formula.

I am still very impressed with VT Algebra. I feel their explanations are very thorough and well done. At this point I do not know that there is lack of review, but I am reserving my final opinion on that part of the program until dd has finished all the modules and can still go back and complete the work from the earlier lessons and that she can apply her knowledge to other algebra problems not from VT. This is one way I test if the material has truly been mastered. (Thus the possibility of using ALEKS to review instead of more VT material.) With the cumulative reviews after each unit test, it may be a non-issue.

Gotcha'. Thank you!