Menu

How do you store their completed work?

So, we just completed kindergarten....for that year, I had a plastic tote that I put all of her completed papers/projects in. At year end, I just put them in a cardboard box and sealed it with tape.

Trying to decide what to do for this year.....do I paperclip each day's work and mark it with the date? Do I keep all the completed pages separated by subject instead? What do you all do?

Are you required to keep work? If you do not have to show that as proof, I'd consider keeping favorite samples of work and an attendance log. I have a binder for each child and in it are plastic slip sheets... awards, report cards, attendance records and work samples go into those and I have a very nice keepsake over the years...

How do you store their completed work?

As a rule, I don't. I am not a saver of things, so I keep most work for a month or so, at most. We do most of our review through reading and discussion.

There were a few art projects and papers over the years that I felt were worth keeping, but nothing that doesn't fit into a file folder to be easily stored.

Well, I buy four clear plastic Sterilite containers for about $3 each, mark them for the school year, and put all their work in it. I have plenty of storage and they are all stacked. Everything from the year goes in them.

I laugh and tell them they get all the boxes when they get married. LOL.

I bought these big brown folders with a string/rubber band around middle that businesses used for records. I cull through their work & keep samples that show beginning - progress - and end of year. I am not required to keep anything, but do this b/c I do not trust the gov't and want to have records & proof... if the state becomes hostile to HS.

I made an excel chart of their subjects and days of the week.. they mark things off as they complete the work. We make notes at bottom of books completed that week and any field trips ,etc. I use these to help me journal/document our work. I keep these with the samples of their work.

I put some things in their scrapbook (great drawings, hand writing samples, etc). Rest is tossed.

As a rule, I don't. I am not a saver of things, so I keep most work for a month or so, at most. We do most of our review through reading and discussion.

There were a few art projects and papers over the years that I felt were worth keeping, but nothing that doesn't fit into a file folder to be easily stored.

:iagree:

Guest janainaz

I use binders for every subject and every day I place that day's work in the appropriate binder and make sure the work is dated. At the end of the year I pull all the work out of each notebook, rubberband it all in groups by subject, and place in a box with the grade level labeled on it. I like keeping a record of everything we have done - just in case. Some subjects, like history and science, I have big mega-binder's for and I keep the previous year's work handy.

Each of our kids has a binder for each subject. During the year, completed work goes into the appropriate binder (as well as photos of larger projects). At the end of the year, we take samples of their work from throughout the year and put it into a 1" binder (one for each kid). We label the binders with their name and grade and they decorate the cover. We also include lists of books read, workbook pages, and pictures from field trips and other activities. Everything else gets tossed. My kids go back frequently to review their portfolios from previous years. In fact, each of my kids has a shelf they keep their binders and books on during the year and they keep their past portfolios on their shelves so they are easy to get to.

ETA: the emptied subject binders get recycled from year to year

During the year, all the work stays in the binder, workbook or writing book that is being used. Artwork gets saved in a container. I take pictures of "structures".

At the end of the year, I sift through it all and store the best work in a file of 50 sheet protectors (I'm not sure if this is the name you'd use. It's the basic clear plastic protector in which you slip the page). Using a standard size means that I keep only the best or most representative work.

Each child has a binder with page protectors for K

Each child has a binder with page protectors for Grades 1-4.

Ds has a binder with page protectors for Grades 5-8.

In those binders I keep mainly history and science stuff, all their writing, and a few representative language arts or math papers/tests. I keep a lot of their art, too.

They are starting 9 and 5 this fall.

For the current year's work, I will keep the following in a fire-safe box with all the records and transcripts I must keep for my school:

-All writing assignments

-All biology write-ups

-All history summaries

-All tests for other subjects

-All art

At the end of the year, I will pull a few representative samples of writing, a couple of bio/history summaries, and their best art projects. My daughters will go into a binder for grades 5-8, in plastic page protectors. My son's (high school) will go in a file labeled grade 9 in the fire-proof box. It's not replaceable and if I ever should need to put together a portfolio, it will be there no matter what happens.