Menu

how much time for school work?

OK, I think this is a place where I can say "I have this question because my kid is smart" without people thinking I'm bragging. Or, at least I hope it is,

cuz here I go. :)

People have told me that 1-2 hours of school is enough for a 1st grader. BUT, here's my situation: I'm hsing my 1st grader because she needs to be challenged. For personal reasons, she will be returning to ps for 2nd grade. So, I want to choose a curriculum that will challenge her, but not put her more ahead. I also need to make sure that I cover anything the ps covers so there won't be gaps next year. So, I want to cover any 1st grade material she doesn't already know and then do some project-based science and social studies.

So, by the time I schedule all of the stuff I have to do....the ps spelling list, the ps English curriculum and so on, there isn't much time left for the challenging (&fun) subjects like science and social studies. Or, perhaps I am over-estimating how much time it will take her to do her required lessons.

So, do I spend more than the 1-2 hours a day? I don't want to overdo it --just because my dd is smart, doesn't mean that she isn't 6 years old.

I'm not sure this makes sense, but I'm going to give it a try anyway.

OK, I think this is a place where I can say "I have this question because my kid is smart" without people thinking I'm bragging. Or, at least I hope it is,

People have told me that 1-2 hours of school is enough for a 1st grader. BUT, here's my situation: I'm hsing my 1st grader because she needs to be challenged. For personal reasons, she will be returning to ps for 2nd grade. So, I want to choose a curriculum that will challenge her, but not put her more ahead. I also need to make sure that I cover anything the ps covers so there won't be gaps next year. So, I want to cover any 1st grade material she doesn't already know and then do some project-based science and social studies.

So, by the time I schedule all of the stuff I have to do....the ps spelling list, the ps English curriculum and so on, there isn't much time left for the challenging (&fun) subjects like science and social studies. Or, perhaps I am over-estimating how much time it will take her to do her required lessons.

So, do I spend more than the 1-2 hours a day? I don't want to overdo it --just because my dd is smart, doesn't mean that she isn't 6 years old.

Well, my then 6yo did a pretty full program last year and on average he only spent about 2 hours per day. It's a little hard to tell because I also have an older child and I have to alternate between the two.

I would suggest talking with a first (& second) grade team member at the school your child will attend to get a good picture of the scope and sequence of the curriculum materials covered. The second grade teacher should have a pretty good picture of "where" your child needs to be. From there, you can make a better assessment of how much time needs to be set aside for hsing. I imagine you will be surprised at how quickly your child will master the "basic" level required for entering 2nd grade, and you will be able to focus more on depth of material for your child's curiosity's sake. This should be a great year for going deeper (enrichment) since you won't want to focus on accelerating.

Last year my then 6yo did the following in about 1.5 hours a day...math, grammar (MCT program with grammar, vocabulary, poetry), reading, spelling, vocabulary, art or music appreciation (alternate days) and Rosetta Stone foreign language (alternating days between Spanish and Gaelic). She did science and history on alternate days for about 0.5 to 0.75 of an hour and we schooled 4 days a week. Some days science took longer if an experiment was involved and then we did it on the 5th day of the week or if other schoolwork took too long we did what was left on the 5th day (rarely).

The rest of her day was reading for enjoyment, instrument practice, and play time/free time.

It sounds like you are using the ps materials for your dd. I'm guessing you'll be able to move through the material a lot more quickly than the ps though, since you are working one-on-one. For instance with spelling you can pre-test, and only work on words that she doesn't already know. Hopefully that will leave you with plenty of time for "fun stuff" like science and social studies.

As far as the 1-2 hours a day goes, it depends on what you are doing. 1-2 hours of actual "seatwork", would have been a lot for my dss at that age. The learning doesn't stop when those 1-2 hours are over though. There are books to read, music, nature stuff, building things , etc.

Have fun!

I plan about 3 hours a day with my ds5 (with short breaks between each subject), but he likes school - especially history and science. He then goes and voluntarily does more history and science on the computer. So if your child enjoys school, I think you can do more if you need to. OTOH, you may not need to. Ds does the basics (math, grammar, handwriting, reading, etc) in about an hour. The rest are his 'fun subjects'. Did I mention he really likes science and history? :tongue_smilie:

If you are homeschooling, I am not sure how you "will not put her more ahead." If you are looking science programs, I would suggest checking into Prufrock Press. The Cycles-Differentiated Curriculum (grade 1-3) is a wonderful science program however short (16wks) so you can move onto the next book which I believe is called Changes. These are fun science lessons that intergrate science concepts with fun simple exercises using crafts, writings and play acting.

Something else to consider: In PS she will be there for way more than 1-2 hours. You might almost want to simulate more of a PS day so she isn't in shock when she goes. Try doing a difficult subject followed by a short break with something fun, like a puzzle. Do some more seat work. Maybe then a hands-on project like painting or something for science. Throw in a recess and lunch, etc., and maybe spread it all out for about 4 hours or so. (If you can spare the time, that is.) Maybe a couple chores to help you get some housework done in the middle might work, too. You might still end up with only about 2 hours of "school work," but it will probably help her be more prepared for next year.

DD is advanced as well and today we started back fulltime. (I have been doing it off and on all summer and we are almost 1/4 of the way through with 1st grade from that. But today I sat down and we did all the subjects and it took around 2 hours. She still isn't challenged much though. She learned a couple new things since starting 1st grade but not much at all. The most challenging thing all summer for her was some of her spelling test because of the confusing rules like ow and ou things like that. She would miss alot of words because she could not remember what sound went with what word. Anyway I just relized I am going on and on. LOL So for us about 2 hours. You can put the fun stuff into your daily routine and not just say ok we are doing school. Does that make sense?

Also, it depends on if you have other kids. My youngest did more school because he likes it and because if he finishes too quickly, the only thing he has to do is bother his brothers!:001_smile: But I agress, ps is like 6 hours or something? So you don't want to totally shock her next year.

My ds went to ps for K-2. Because he could read before he started K (I didn't teach him), they basically put him in a corner to "read hard books" and went on with their day. Even after he came home, he didn't need to do spelling until last year's science terms (7th grade). As for history, his 2nd grade "study of the 50 states" consisted of each student (or probably their parents mostly) making a "parade float" and parading them through the hall one day. Science in 1st was a wonderful new program -- that they never got the time to do. Science in 2nd was -- well -- the teacher didn't know?!

All this is to say that if your child already knows the typical K-1 stuff, you don't have to sit & do that all day. Your child will not get behind.

Read some good stories (picture books usually have more appropriate content for that age). Maybe try a few cool experiments. Cook. Learn to do chores. Learn interesting things like singing kid song, playing hopscotch, playing the piano or speaking Spanish or how to type on a computer. Play store. Make patterns. Sew a doll blanket. Build a step-stool. Go on field trips.

At that age, kids can learn far, far *more* by doing than by reproducing symbols on paper.

JMHO.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

My ds was 6 last year and he actually did a 2nd/3rd grade combo. He schooled from 8:30am - 12:00 had lunch and if he had any school work left he would do it after lunch. Depending on his attitude for the day he could have all subjects done in 3 hours but on some days he went 7 hours b/c he was playing while he should have been working.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm the odd (wo)man out here. There's no way we could get everything we wanted to do in 2 hours. At 6 we did at least 5 hours day. This was dd's time schedule. She just wanted to keep going and going and going. She just turned 8 and I've put a lid on it. We school from 8:00 to 3:30 and she reads straight through lunch but I insist on a 1/2 hour of physical activity during the day. When she turns it off, it's off, then she plays hard core till dinner then she drops.

It depends. I think that 2 hours would be plenty, but it wasn't for my dd. She loves to discuss everything, so it all took longer. Plus, she is a huge perfectionist, so math and English took extra long. She would often declare the correct answer for math, then proceed to figure it 3 more ways, debate it outloud and finally, with a shudder write it down. She hated to commit something into writing unless she was 100% sure. Drove me crazy. Sometimes we did do things orally, but she would still take a long time to get to her "final answer." Then there was all the talking, talking, talking about science and history that we loved, but again took a long time. We covered all sorts of things with all the talking, so I didn't mind, but it just took a while. 1-2 hours for my dd would have been too short.

I also think it depends on what you count as school work and how you count the way the time passes...

I just started using the workbox method with dd(7). Actually, we use a type of mesh shelving system. I fill ten shelves and she fills two. If I count all of these things as "school", then it takes from about 9-2:30 plus for "school." But you also have to consider breaks, meals, and play time in there. She'll have "school" from 9-11 that will include me reading aloud to her and her brother, math, spelling, language arts, and some instrument practice. There's also a play break and a snack in there. From 12-2:30 we'll do more read aloud (history, science) and she'll read on her own. Frequently, she'll also do a little lapbooking, play a game, or cook (cookies, jello, etc.) in that time period.

We've never been so organized (by clock or order) before! Ds is in school this year, so we've got to be more organized in order to pick him up/drop him off on time. I also want everyone playing outside in the afternoon if it's a nice day (ds needs some time to just run around after being in a classroom all day). Previously, we sprinkled "school" time and play/outside time throughout the day and did things pretty much as the spirit moved. What a change!

I would be careful teaching "too much" unless you are positive the PS will allow your child to work in a high learner class. Otherwise, she will repeat everything you already have taught. My dd was bored out of her mind and she is in a gifted 1st grade. She is way above what the school teaches.

As far as teaching time in school...they dont teach all day.

Here is our first grade special in PS:Notice they spend very little time doing subjects. There is a lot of wasted time.

8:00-8:15 Morning Openers

8:15-8:45 Specials like art, music

8:45-10:45 Reading Groups/Centers

10:45-11:15 P.E./Snack

11:15-12:30 Math

12:33-1:03 Lunch

1:03-1:45 Science/Social Studies

1:45-2:00 Dismissal

All this is to say that if your child already knows the typical K-1 stuff, you don't have to sit & do that all day. Your child will not get behind.

Read some good stories (picture books usually have more appropriate content for that age). Maybe try a few cool experiments. Cook. Learn to do chores. Learn interesting things like singing kid song, playing hopscotch, playing the piano or speaking Spanish or how to type on a computer. Play store. Make patterns. Sew a doll blanket. Build a step-stool. Go on field trips.

At that age, kids can learn far, far *more* by doing than by reproducing symbols on paper.

I agree! And life is so much more freeing and enjoyable! We're tied to a schedule this year ( ds in school and dd using a workbox system to keep us organized during the day). We'll be home a lot with a new baby, too, so being more organized is just what I need right now.

But... when oldest was 6-8 we were MUCH more free with how we learned "school." And it was great for him/us. The kids DID learn what they needed to know, and we DID do *some* sit-down lessons, but we got to experience so much more of life -- classes, museums, lots of field trips for hands-on learnings, out and about, travel, co-ops... Sigh. I'm going to miss all that this year.