Menu

I am a little confused about credits. If my DD completes a book for any subject can I offer her a credit or 1/2 credit for that book?

For example my DD is doing R&S 10th but she is also doing Meaningful Composition (she needs the writing help). Upon completion of MC can I offer her 1/2 for writing?

Edited by sixtimemomma
mistake dh instead of dd

The Carnegie Unit is the most commonly used standard for HS credits. A minimum of 120 hours of "classroom time" equals 1 credit for one year's work, and 60 hours equals 1/2 credit (equal to one semester's worth of work). So, for example, if your daughter has 120 hours in R&S and 60 hours in MC, that would be 1.5 units.

If she has a lot less than 60 hours in MC, though, (or a lot less than 120 in R&S) I would just combine the two into one course and call it English Grammar & Composition.

Jackie

I hate the hour thing, but that is because I had one child that would have had to do 10 years worth of what an average child would to get a full transcript had we done that. And I have a second child who would have a full transcript with less than 2 years worth of content.

Okay, so you have grammar and composition. Why not just add a little literature and some vocabulary and call it English? You can still have a Literature study if you're going to do a bit more. But I wouldn't give a full credit for JUST R&S and a composition program. It would be more than half a credit but it wouldn't be a full credit, likely.

JMO,

I am a little confused about credits. If my DH completes a book for any subject can I offer her a credit or 1/2 credit for that book?

For example my DH is doing R&S 10th but she is also doing Meaningful Composition (she needs the writing help). Upon completion of MC can I offer her 1/2 for writing?

Personally, *I* wouldn't do that. I would consider it just part of the English course (which should, BTW, also include literature).

So I have her doing R&S (not sure how many lesson yet) my state requirement is 1/4 of the book, Meaningful Composition, and reading 15 books (state requirement is at least one must be a classic). DD is going to be reading 9 classics.

So my question is does this fulfill a literature credit, Grammar & Composition Credit and 1/2 Writing? Or does all of this only equal 1 credit of G&C. Surely this is more than 120-150 hours of work.

Most high schools call it "English" and it will include grammar, composition, and literature. I think most would put all 3 of those together and give 1 credit for "English".

If your student writes A LOT, you can prob give an extra 1/2 credit for creative writing. And, if your student reads A LOT of classics you can give extra credit for Literature.

Most high schools call it "English" and it will include grammar, composition, and literature. I think most would put all 3 of those together and give 1 credit for "English".

If your student writes A LOT, you can prob give an extra 1/2 credit for creative writing. And, if your student reads A LOT of classics you can give extra credit for Literature.

adding writing, grammar, lit. composition , vocabulary all together.