Menu

The most interesting thing I saw at the HS convention yesterday was...

Julie in CA

http://www.scienceexcursion.com/

Has anyone used this before? I was surprised I'd never seen it since I'm a (reforming!) curriculum junkie.

I didn't even really give it a second look while I was there, but came home and realized I don't have science figured out for my LD ds16. I was thinking he might do well with the 7-8th grade level kit, but it's not shown on the website. I checked out the 4-6th grade samples, and even that looked like he'd learn plenty...

...just thinking out loud. :001_smile:

Anyway, anyone used this?

Seriously, you did not just post this minutes after I finally placed an order for a different science program! :willy_nilly: I have been stressing over science for months and realized I had to make a decision if we were going to start school on time. I've only looked over this quickly but it looks pretty good. I'm going to spend some more time on the website tonight and I guess I can always return what I ordered if I like this better:confused:.

Seriously, you did not just post this minutes after I finally placed an order for a different science program! :willy_nilly: I have been stressing over science for months and realized I had to make a decision if we were going to start school on time. I've only looked over this quickly but it looks pretty good. I'm going to spend some more time on the website tonight and I guess I can always return what I ordered if I like this better:confused:.

Huh...so what did you order? :001_smile:

Have you checked to see what the shipping charges are on the program? I just entered in the K program into the shopping cart to see shipping and it said it would be $20 for shipping. Doesn't that seem high? There is a note on the site that says that they've had problems with the shipping calculations in the past and to e-mail if you think there is a problem. I e-mailed them. So we'll see what they say. The k program is only $33 so $20 in shipping seems really high.

It looks wonderful! I do wonder how much of a Christian slant is has - whether the content is different than would be included in a secular program. I mean I have no problem with lines such as "When you look at the leaf's amazing structure and responsibilities, you can then only look to the Creator and His amazing work" which I see in the sample, but I wonder if the science that is taught is fundamentally different. Does anyone have an idea?

I just e-mailed the author asking if it was christian. I really prefer it to talk about G-d, but just not witnessing all the time like the Apologia elementary or pulling in Bible verses other than ones referring to creation.

Let us know what the response is if you don't mind.

I'm still waiting for them to e-mail me back and I called this afternoon too. Has anyone else tried to e-mail them?

I'm wondering if perhaps they're on vacation? They had a booth at the HS convention in Modesto, CA this past weekend. Maybe they're just not home yet. From my impression of their booth as they walked by, I think they're perhaps just a small business working to establish themselves.

I found it difficult to figure out if the 7-8th level is ready yet, and I sure wish I'd checked it out while I was there. What was I thinking when I walked right past their booth? :banghead: The online samples look like just what I've wanted!

I'm still waiting for them to e-mail me back and I called this afternoon too. Has anyone else tried to e-mail them?

I emailed them twice about two of my dc, but I haven't gotten a response yet. I asked how it would work if my dc started the curriculum in the middle. One will be starting grade 2 in September, and the other one will be starting grade 5. The programs are grades 1-3, and 4-6, so I wanted to know if I would start at the beginning for both (and perhaps double up on lessons for a while), or just skip the first 36 lessons.

Does anyone know?

What was I thinking when I walked right past their booth? :banghead: The online samples look like just what I've wanted!

Yes, what were you thinking?

Just kidding:D

Too bad no one else knows anything about this curriculum.

I emailed them twice about two of my dc, but I haven't gotten a response yet. I asked how it would work if my dc started the curriculum in the middle. One will be starting grade 2 in September, and the other one will be starting grade 5. The programs are grades 1-3, and 4-6, so I wanted to know if I would start at the beginning for both (and perhaps double up on lessons for a while), or just skip the first 36 lessons.

Does anyone know?

From looking at the 1-3 I think that it would be easy to double. The site says that each lesson takes 30 minutes. So I think you could do 2 a week easily. For the older one you could do 2 lessons per week an hr each. My son is a science nut so doubling up wouldn't be a problem.

I'm wondering if perhaps they're on vacation? They had a booth at the HS convention in Modesto, CA this past weekend. Maybe they're just not home yet. From my impression of their booth as they walked by, I think they're perhaps just a small business working to establish themselves.

I found it difficult to figure out if the 7-8th level is ready yet, and I sure wish I'd checked it out while I was there. What was I thinking when I walked right past their booth? :banghead: The online samples look like just what I've wanted!

I was wondering if they maybe were on to another convention.

I was wondering if they maybe were on to another convention.

That seems entirely possible. I'm willing to wait, but wish I didn't have to!

Although I don't follow the public school schedule, I do take it into account when I decide our starting date for the year. I just found out that this year it's Aug. 10 :eek: We're not starting August 10th, but it did make me realize that it's time to finish up that last bit of curriculum ordering.

That seems entirely possible. I'm willing to wait, but wish I didn't have to!

Although I don't follow the public school schedule, I do take it into account when I decide our starting date for the year. I just found out that this year it's Aug. 10 :eek: We're not starting August 10th, but it did make me realize that it's time to finish up that last bit of curriculum ordering.

I think ours used to start that early, but this year they are starting on the 24th. We're starting next week though.

I spoke to Alicia on the phone. Apparently she was somewhere without phone reception, visiting her grandma, and will be home in a couple of days.

In the meantime, here's what I found out from her:

The 7-8 level will be ready at the end of September, and if you email her a request she'll email you back with sample pages for that.

There are supplemental reading suggestions for each subject listed at the end of the book, and most of the suggested resources should be readily available at your local library.

She's working on adding Internet resources for further research to her website.

The website is having some glitches right now, and she's going to get right on that. She asked that people (well, me, but I'm sure she means you too!) would check back in a couple of hours if they've had trouble registering or ordering on her site.

Part of the glitch is that shipping costs are being incorrectly listed/charged, and that she will refund whatever extra you were charged. The shipping method is UPS.

Alicia seems to be very nice, and very helpful on the phone. Maybe she'll chip in on this thread when she returns. :001_smile:

I got an email response from her this morning:

The curriculum is not written in grade order, but is written in subject order. You may start in any area you would like (i.e. chemistry, biology). Also the curriculum was written to do a lesson once a week, however, if you have a second grader you may do it faster and then finish it at the end of their 3rd grade year. If you have any questions please let me know.

I assume they are all like this. I am really considering this for two of my dc now.

She e-mailed me and said that the curriculum comes from a creationist perspective but that that isn't dealt with until the 7th grade program. She said shipping is 10% with a minimum shipping charge of $12. That was more like what I was expecting. I'm really excited I think my son would really like this. We are already do RS4K bio 1 readings and RSO life, but we need to do science every day of the week for my science nut and it must have an experiment every day. So between those 3 programs I think we will have science covered. Yay!

I talked to her at the Arizona convention, and this program seams great. Sadly, I won't need it until next year!

Can you give us any insights on what you learned since we have so many questions about this curriculum? For example, after perusing the sample lessons on their website, it appears as if the text is in black and white with hand-drawn illustrations? Can you confirm that?

Edited by Marla