Menu

OT: Whiteboards/Chalkboards??

Verity

I'm setting up my space for the first time for real (SOS from AO last year didn't really count) and think I would like a bigger whiteboard than one you can put on your lap. Where do you get these from for a reasonable price? I look forward to any feedback!

We made our own whiteboards and chalkboards.

Options:

Tileboard from Home depot-- We got them to cut it in half so we have two 4 ft by 4 ft whiteboards out of that. You could cut it smaller if you wanted.

You could use the whiteboard paint on just about anything though to have any size white board.

We used chalkboard paint to make "slates" for my school kids. The people who lived in our house before us had left some parts of shelves so hubby cut them and painted them for us.

Of course, Walmart has whiteboards from slate size to pretty big. A teacher supply store may have chalkboards in big sizes.

Walmart has a nice collection of whiteboards.

For me, the down side of whiteboard is the PERMANANT ink in most white board markers.

Several companies make washable dry erase white board markers, including crayola. I can't recommend them highly enough. They have all the positive qualities of regular dry erase markers, plus they don't damage clothing.

I mention this because washable dry erase markers are a bit harder to find, so not everyone knows about them. They really take the stress out of handing a small child a dry erase marker!

Walmart has a nice collection of whiteboards.

For me, the down side of whiteboard is the PERMANANT ink in most white board markers.

Several companies make washable dry erase white board markers, including crayola. I can't recommend them highly enough. They have all the positive qualities of regular dry erase markers, plus they don't damage clothing.

I mention this because washable dry erase markers are a bit harder to find, so not everyone knows about them. They really take the stress out of handing a small child a dry erase marker!

THANK YOU!!! I've always had a chalkboard because my dd got whiteboard marker on her new yellow shirt from Disney World and it never came out so after that I was afraid to have a white board where they could use it. My son asked the other day if we could get rid of our 3X5 ft chalkboard and replace it with a whiteboard because he loves way I can use colors to differenciate things when teaching and he says he can "See it better" not sure if he means he can visually see things better or that he can understand it better.

Now I can hunt down those washable ones and get that big white board, and figure out what to do with the chalkboard. I used to love my chalkboard but have found that even the "dustless" chalk leaves dust everywhere in our school room.

I have gotten mine ( I have 2 that are apx 24x36) at Walmart, Sams club, Staples, and have found some at yard sales. I started off with the cheap rosy art ones and it was okay. Now I have the expo I think. It is magnetic I hang them both on the wall one above the other. My top one is hung vertical and that is where the date, schedule and all that goes. The other one is horizontal and it is where the daily stuff I write as we work goes.

I'm in love with whiteboards. We have them everywhere (DH and I both used to work at home, he still does sometimes.) Try to get magnetic, they rock. :)

The low odor markers do tend to make ghost marks and are hard to get off the whiteboard. If you're not allergic to them, the regular markers (I don't notice the smell in ours) wipe off so much better. I heard this from somewhere here and my experimentations confirmed that.

I got a nice magnetic one from Costco. It was $30 and came with markers, eraser, magnets.

I also like the Crayola markers. As for ghost marks I have the best solution. First, clean the board with white board cleaner (rubbing alcohol). Then spray a light coating of WD40 on the board, and buff it. My dad gave me an old white board from his school, and it was a mess. I didn't think I'd be able to restore it, but the WD40 did the trick.