Menu

Any resources on U.S. states for 7-8 year olds?

We used Wish You Were Here by Kathleen Krull as our spine. A little girl goes on a nation-wide tour with her grandmother, and writes letters telling about each state that she visits.

The United States Coloring Book by Winky Adams was a nice addition. (I like the Around the World coloring book by the same author more -- more interesting tidbits and less entirely uninteresting stuff like state bird! -- but this one is pretty good...)

There are also several cookbooks out there that offer foods from each state. I find foods (assuming you can work around allergies and sensitivities) are always a big hit at coops... ;)

Whitestavern - the link you offered was awesome - thanks! I'm doing US history with my dd's, 7 & 9, which will include states and capitals. This will be a wonderful addition. I already signed up and received my first two states. :)

I'm going to be studying the 50 states with my 5yo & 7yo this year. I've made worksheets on MSWord where we'll list the name, date of statehood, statehood rank, abbreviation, motto, nickname, population, area, capital, other cities, and other facts. There will be a second page for the notebook where dc can put stickers of the state flag, state bird, and state flower, along with gluing a picture of the state quarter. The stickers will come from Sticker USA stickers ($10 from RR) and the quarter pictures will come from here... http://www.usmint.gov/kids/teachers/lessonPlans/50sq/2008/0203-r.pdf

At the bottom of the second page is a map of the US where dc can color the location of the state. Then on the third page is a full page map where dc can mark rivers, cities, mountains, etc. These maps are coming from http://www.worksheetworks.com/geography/usa.html.

We'll use the books States (Time for Learning), Kids Learn America, and Scrambled States.

There are so many resources also available here... http://www.squidoo.com/50statesnotebook

I second Adventures in My Father's World!

And I also like the about.com link provided.

But for a smaller resource, we like StickerUSA materials. You can also find online stickers to print yourself, but the StickerUSA ones are very nice. They are at ChristianBook & many school supply sources.

Julie

I second Adventures in My Father's World!

And I also like the about.com link provided.

But for a smaller resource, we like StickerUSA materials. You can also find online stickers to print yourself, but the StickerUSA ones are very nice. They are at ChristianBook & many school supply sources.

Julie

The StickerUSA material is nice! Amazon marketplace has them for less.

Julie, where do you find online stickers to print yourself? I'm teaching a co-op class on states & presidents and printing our own would be so much less expensive.

TIA

The StickerUSA material is nice! Amazon marketplace has them for less.

Julie, where do you find online stickers to print yourself? I'm teaching a co-op class on states & presidents and printing our own would be so much less expensive.

TIA

Just do a google & hunt around. All you really need is the pictures you want & some sticky paper. Here's one, for instance:

http://www.stickersandcharts.com/places.php

I'd love to get this to supplement our States study. Can it be read out of order? I'm covering the states in the order in which they joined the union. Is it a collection of short stories, or one continuous story?
I don't know for sure... we won't be using it yet, so I don't have it. The description sounds like separate stories. Last time I checked Amazon there were some really inexpensive used copies. :D