Menu

What to do with all of these tomatoes?

My husband planted *way* too many tomatoes in our garden...I would love to find good use for them. I was thinking about making some salsa and sauce, but have no clue how to do it...Any good recipes? I have a canner, but was told not to use it with our ceramic top stove, so I'm not sure what to do...(not to mention I don't know how to can)...

I would love to hear what you would do with all of these tomatoes...

You can freeze them.

I just wash and dry the tomatoes and pop into freezer bags. When you want to use them later (in sauces or winter soups) you just put them in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes and the skins peel right off. Core the tomato, then toss into your sauce or soup.

We are overrun with tomatoes right now and I am eating insalata caprese twice a day. :D

Send them to me!!! Let's see, I'd:

1. Slice them and put a little salt and pepper on them and eat them ALL day long.

2. Get some good cheese, fresh basil, and good crackers. Stack them and eat it for a meal.

3. My parents used to freeze them. They'd peel and seed them (but I've heard you don't really need to do that), slice them and stick them in freezer bags. They couldn't use them fresh after that, but they made really good tomato sauce all winter!!

Have fun!

You can make sauce and freeze it. Then you are one step ahead of the dinner game--tomato sauce at the ready for spaghetti, lasagna, manicotti, etc., etc. I planted a ton of tomatoes this year as well for that very purpose. I load up on spaghetti sauce, salsa, and red enchilada sauce. You can dry the tomatoes in your oven as well for recipes using dried tomatoes. A tomato salad is great, too: Sliced tomatoes, sliced fresh mozerella, some fresh basil, and a little balsamic vinegar. HTH!

No canning required. I just made the salsa recipe from here:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/appetizers-and-snacks/unforgettable-salsa/

I subbed a couple pounds of fresh tomatoes for the canned called for in the recipe. I'm making more this weekend to freeze.

I also make homemade marinara sauce using this recipe (I use the dried herbs so it doesn't cost me $40 a batch):

http://www.ebfarm.com/Recipes/recipeview.aspx?rID=586

I make 2 or 3 batches at a time, freeze it in Ziploc bags and use it in place of jarred spaghetti sauce.

Terri

My husband planted *way* too many tomatoes in our garden...I would love to find good use for them. I was thinking about making some salsa and sauce, but have no clue how to do it...Any good recipes? I have a canner, but was told not to use it with our ceramic top stove, so I'm not sure what to do...(not to mention I don't know how to can)...

Why can't you can on your ceramic stove? Will it ruin it?

If you find you can can (hee-hee), it is *super easy*! Don't be intimidated! Just follow the directions step by step. I would can diced tomatoes, salsa, tomato sauce, and ketchup. :-)

Tomatoes Tart and Tasty:

We slice and dry them in a food dehydrator. Then place into ziplocks and freeze. I use them to make chili, put into soups, put on pizza etc. For chili I just break them up and put them in the slow cooker with all of the other ingredients plus extra water in place of canned tomatoes. It works great.

Savor them! I just found out that our CSA, along with many other farms/gardens in the are might be seriously hit with tomato blight. The tomatoes we get around here are so fantastic that I absolutely stopped buying them in the stores. I look forward to them all year and it looks like we might not get any. :crying:

We normally make lots of pico de gallo, tomato salads, and fresh tomato sauce. You can also roast them whole and freeze them. You can also make sauce and freeze it.

But please enjoy them!