Menu

Need help making a silly decision..

and it is too late to wake up my husband.

My oldest is turning 4 and we are having a birthday party for her NEXT Saturday, so August 1st. We are inviting 4 other little girls over to do a little princess dance party with her ballet teacher who will lead them in dancing and flitting about the house with wands and scarves to wave around (Kindermusik teacher). It is our first birthday party for any of our kids and it should be fun!

Now, silly me thought that I wasn't waiting until the last minute to buy party supplies, but it turns out that the stuff I like, I can only find on the computer. http://www.1stbirthdayparty.com/fairytail-princess.html. I a-la-carted the things I liked into my cart, and then needed to tack on 3 day shipping to be sure it gets here in time, bringing my total to just around 75 dollars! YIKES! That is way more than we are paying the fun teacher to come over! Without the 3 day shipping, the cost would be around 57 bucks, so it is still a bit expensive to buy these party supplies.

I went all around town today to see if I could find these particular supplies or a good substitute, and I didn't find much of anything. Everything is Disney, not cute generic. Either way, it seems as though I might fare better going to the $1 store and getting pink and purple plates and napkins and such, without the matching cutsie little stickers and things I was going to get with the previously mentioned set. Sigh.

So, what would you do? Order this fairytale princess thing, what the heck, you only turn 4 once and she will love it? ORRRR There is no reason what-so-ever to spend the money on the party decorations. Plain plates and napkins will be equally as perfect.

If I place the order, I would like to do it soon (shoot! Should have talked to hubbie before he went to bed!) so that it can be shipped tomorrow to ensure it will be here on time. Sigh again. Such silly things I stress about.

TIA!

I have done lots of parties for both of my girls. They all usually have some type of theme like that. But I usually buy generic colorful plates, napkins, and hats in the matching colors. Then I have one or two things of the "theme." Usually for us, it is the cake or cupcake. Or I have made posters. I have also bought stickers to put on the plain party hats and napkins, instead of purchasing the fancy ones.

For a first birthday, I would buy the stuff that makes me happy. :) Will the generic stuff make things feel plain or cheap to you? Would the expensive stuff make you feel like you were having and "extra nice" party? If this is her first party, I don't think she will truly be missing out with the cheaper stuff, so just go with what will give you fewer regrets in the end.

Thank you all for your replies! I am actually going to leave my post up and give my husband a note for him to read when he gets up in a few hours (yay for pregnant insomnia!) and see what he thinks. I figured there was no difference between ordering at midnight or midmorning the next day.

I will let you know what we end up doing, as irrelevent as it is, haha.

Do you have a Dollar General? The ones in our area just recently started carrying party supplies including pink and purple princess tiara decor:D. And it's super cheap, they have the matching balloons, good bags, party blowers, table cloth, the whole 9 yards.

If I couldn't find something like that, I'd go with generic pink and purple stuff.

Thank you all again for your candid answers! My hubbie agrees with you all and pointed out that the teacher will probably incorporate some Disney princess songs and story books during story time, so generic with Disney princess stickers to put in the loot bags is our answer! I have to admit, I am sad about not getting those super cute plates, just because I think they are so darn cute! But, I do think you all have recommended such great alternatives and it will be equally as wonderful in the end with the excessive expense.

Thank you all again for your candid answers! My hubbie agrees with you all and pointed out that the teacher will probably incorporate some Disney princess songs and story books during story time, so generic with Disney princess stickers to put in the loot bags is our answer! I have to admit, I am sad about not getting those super cute plates, just because I think they are so darn cute! But, I do think you all have recommended such great alternatives and it will be equally as wonderful in the end with the excessive expense.

Great! If you want, you can have the girls decorate their own loot bags with stickers & such. The downside is that then you have to fill them during the party. But it is fun if you can swing it.