Menu

Moving Beyond the Page at odds with WTM in grammar stage?

mirth

(Hey why does my title say Just Visiting. I am a registered new bee)

Ok, re-casting my question, has anyone used Moving Beyond The Page (for 5-7yo) with great success? MTB seems somewhat political and scattershot to me. (sample pages: http://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/curriculumSamples.asp?level=Ages+5-7) Maybe I am reading too much into it. Thoughts? Success stories?

I bought it and sort of liked it, but can't say I used it with great success. I tried using it with my 5 year old. I was just trying to decide whether I liked it enough to keep it and try it with my DS when he's in kindergarten, or sell it off now. It's a pricey curriculum!

:bigear: Is this the one that is compared with FIAR in some posts?

Possibly. I feel they are pretty similar.

I've heard a lot about it the past few years, but I've never heard of anyone sticking with it or loving it. :confused:

That's what I was afraid of. I searched WTM for "MBP" and found lots of opinions -- much like your feedback above. (I got no results by entering "moving and beyond and page" or in the WTM search field.)

Got a couple of the books and tried them, though my dd was a bit on the old side for the materials at the time. I think they're an interesting supplement, but I wouldn't want it to be my whole curriculum. I suggest you buy one of the modules, if there's one in particular that interests you. That way you can try it out and see what you think.

I'm starting my 3rd year with it, but I don't use it as a "full curriculum" as you can see in my signature. We started that way, but I felt like it was a little too random for my liking (though ds very much enjoyed the sc/hist units). I am a pretty "controlling" person when it comes to curriculum... I like to know exactly what skills are being taught and when, what topics are covered and how in depth. We use the literature units, and though we use the worksheets (ds loves them), we don't rely on the language arts component of it.

I do like the lit units and the graphic organizers & themes, and the study questions work on all levels of Blooms Taxonomy. I matched up my own science units aligned with WTM to correspond to stories that thematically match the science topics we will be studying (i.e. "Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of NIMH" = simple machines, "Ben and Me" = Magnetism and Electricity, etc.)... Because of that, I pick and choose rather than ordering a full Literature curriculum.

Overall, I am happy with many aspects of it.

I bought MBTP as a supplement (concepts 1-3 of the 5-7 level). It is kind of scattered as far as the topics are concerned, but it thoroughly teaches the concepts presented and has kept my daughter's attention well. We started the first concept in January when she was 4.75 and it wasn't too much for her to understand, but I don't think it would work well for any child not able to solidly handle K-level work. It's very much aligned to PS standards, NC and CA, IIRC. We have taken it pretty slow because we were also using FIAR and at this point are about halfway through the 2nd concept. There is a lot of material, and the upper levels take more time with all the reading, so if you plan to use this as your main curriculum, you might have to cut back on the extras because you won't get to everything.

I do plan to continue using it because the activities are engaging and the material is presented in a way that encourages critical thinking, which is a valuable skill to have. Depending on how this year goes, I will either use MBTP as a supplement to SOTW, or use MBTP as the backbone and listen to the SOTW CDs for a little more flow with history.

(PS Your title says just visiting for the first few posts, then it will change to Hive Mind Larvae. Then you will be a new bee.;))

I have not yet used this curriculum, but will begin to do so this fall.

Is it at odds with classical education? It's certainly not in line with it. Classical education in the grammar stage focuses on memorization and fact gathering. MBTP is focused on learning larger concepts rather than the pieces. Is that good or bad? Depends on your perspective.

I plan to use the curriculum with my gifted almost 5 year old because I'm not yet convinced of the value of classical education (which, of course, brings up the question of why I hang out here, but that's another thread). Also because it seems a good fit for his personality and learning style. We'll see.

Is it at odds with classical education? It's certainly not in line with it. Classical education in the grammar stage focuses on memorization and fact gathering. MBTP is focused on learning larger concepts rather than the pieces. Is that good or bad? Depends on your perspective.

My gifted ds seems to automatically "memorize" just about everything he comes across, so I really don't have to work on the classical side of things when it comes to memorizing and fact gathering, so the variety that MBTP brings to his "world" with larger concepts and critical thinking is really a good thing for him. He really seems to enjoy it. We kinda stay on the "classical education" line ourselves because that is what works best for us.