Menu

What to research when you don't need to research?

I have everything set for this year in terms of curriculum. I have a pretty good idea what I will be using next year, too, as most of what I am using now won't change for several years.

I talked to my dh on the phone today and he asked what I was doing. I said, "Researching algebra curricula." He laughed and said, "I think that's a colossal wast of time. Dd is only seven!"

Well, yes ... but ... well ... Ok, I like to research curricula! I love driving myself crazy with which Latin we will use in several years, and what math we will go with after RightStart is done, and what are the logic resources available. When I don't have anything to research for this year or next year, it only makes sense to jump years ... and years ... ahead, right? Right??

:D

Tara

You can come over and there's plenty of undone housework to do here.

Or can do all the eldercare research I need to do this afternoon and talk to the two lawyers that are supposed to call back this afternoon.

Or you can finish my grading for the summer college class I'm almost done with.

Curriculum is the last thing on this middle-aged mind!

...to get that great books study underway for yourself. Or maybe to take the rhetoric suggestions in TOG and study them yourself. Get ahead of the curve with self-education while you have time, so that it's easier to contemplate later on.

Researching algebra now just means that you'll have to start over with it later on, as new curricula are always being developed.

Ahh, see, there's the difference. I don't yet identify as middle-aged. ;)

(Empirically, I am, but I don't identify as such.)

Tara

I glory in being middle-aged. I'm more mellow and efficient in many ways, even if I'm spread thin with everything.

:auto:

I second the suggestion to start research on your own curriculum! After several bereft days, having finalized, alphabetized, organized and photocopied all I could need for several years, I put away my copy of The Well Trained Mind and pulled out my copy of The Well Educated Mind.

Ahhh. Wide open spaces again...:lol:

To add to those great ideas you've already received --

How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines by Thomas C. Foster

and along the same lines as the above but for beginning with younger children

Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone

and start doing some reading on homeschooling through the high school years

Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead for College Admission by Jeanne Gowen Dennis

Regards,

Kareni