Menu

What to do with finished workbooks/materials??

I'm cleaning out my storage cabinet getting ready for the new school year but I have a pile of finished math books, latin workbooks, copywork, etc. I'm not sure what to do with it. Personally, I want to just toss it all out but I'm wondering if I should keep it for a while. It just takes up space...What do you all do with your finished school stuff??

I still have workbooks from the 1st grade(my boys are going into 7th and 8th). I always throw away quite a bit but I like to save some. What I want to do when I have time is to go thru and pull out certain assignments or pages and put them in a notebook and pitch the rest. I always certain art projects, written exercises etc that they might enjoy looking at as they grow older. My mom always saved some of my things and I enjoy looking at them now that I have kids. But, I throw away more than I keep.

I have a certain amount of shelf space for used up stuff, then when it's full, I go back and toss out the oldest stuff. I do save some things, like unit math tests, some writing projects, etc. It's fun to see how far they've come. I am more likely to keep work that they've completed on their own paper as opposed to workbooks they've just filled in.

I keep a binder for each child for each year. I throw in a few workbook pages from each book & anything else they do or participate in, including photos. I know it takes up space, but it's been helpful for -

- evaluating progress

- keeping records

- review

- assuring everyone that we "did something"! (even the child & the teacher need this reassurance at times!)

This is my project this week, lol.

Up to now, I've mostly put stuff in bins for each year. There's just too much stuff piled up, though. So, now I'm....

Keeping everything from this past year for one year. That way, we'll have it on hand if we need to go back & look up something, etc....

For things over a year old, I'm getting a binder for each school year (one per child), then pulling a few papers to save. I'll print out a list of all curriculum used that year & put it in the front of the notebook. I'll also put in a list of field trips, outside classes taken, etc.... Anything that's left over will be tossed.

At the end of each year I buy a 1" binder for each of my kids. They make a cover for it, and I take samples of their work for each subject from throughout the year and organize in the binder to make a portfolio. It includes pages I have torn out of their workbooks and photos of larger projects.