Menu

Singapore math question

kids&me

Is Singapore Math a complete program? I've noticed many people saying you need to add your own daily math fact drills. Is there anything else missing?

Math is not my strong subject and I really want to be sure all of the bases are covered.

I have been debating whether I should go with a traditional math program such as Bob Jones, CLE, etc. or Singapore. My 8yo ds finished Alpha and Beta of MUS, but he was very bored and loosing interest. I think he needs more variety. My reservations about Singapore are, it seems so different from the traditional math programs.

I would love to hear your advice or experiences with Singapore.

Thank you!

Singapore is an incredible program with these three caveats: 1) Singapore Maths assumes that you (will teach them to) know, understand, and use the model method for solving problems, 2) the students will know math facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) and, 3) practice heavy doses of mental maths.

I would go further to say that if you don't do the above AND incorporate the Intensive Problems and Challenging Word Problems, you might as well choose another program. This is what makes Singapore maths great. I cannot recommend it highly enough but feel that if you don't go the whole shebang, you're not getting the whole Singapore experience and you'd probably be better off using something else.

I think it's the best thing going and worth all the effort!

Yes, it is a complete program. However, as previous posters mentioned -- if you don't get the complete program (and all of its components), you cannot expect it to be "complete". The HIGs are necessary (for mental math drill sheets and extra exercises, if needed). I would say, at a minimum, you need to also get the CWP. (These are going out of print, so I would suggest you place your order for all 6 relatively quickly). The IPs are also excellent and mind-stretching.

I've heard some complain about there not being enough drill in Singapore. Honestly, if you use the standards edition, the drill sheets in the HIG, the IP and CWP, I cannot fathom why this would not be enough drill. Really, it seems to be more than ample. If you truly need more, they also offer Extra Practice Books.

I just signed my ds up with cybershala, a virtual singapore program. They said they will do the entire program with him, intesive, challenging and workbook. The teacher assigns the homework and then reviews it in class. I feel better with someone else teaching math. I have such a hard time being patient and explaining even simple concepts. I really want my ds to like math!

I just signed my ds up with cybershala, a virtual singapore program. They said they will do the entire program with him, intesive, challenging and workbook. The teacher assigns the homework and then reviews it in class. I feel better with someone else teaching math. I have such a hard time being patient and explaining even simple concepts. I really want my ds to like math!

We LOVE cybeRShala! Will your student have Rachna? She's just wonderful. And it's true: They do tons of CWP and IP. Sometimes I just can't believe some of the problems my daughter has for homework. She always understands just how to do it, though. Rachna is really wonderful.

I hope you love it as much as we do!

Yes, Rachna is going to be his teacher. We did one trial day and he really enjoyed it! Is it true that you do not help her at all with the homework?

Did your daughter have to start at a lower level in order to learn the Singapore method? How is she progressing?

Thank you!

Singapore is an incredible program with these three caveats: 1) Singapore Maths assumes that you (will teach them to) know, understand, and use the model method for solving problems, 2) the students will know math facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) and, 3) practice heavy doses of mental maths.

:iagree:

I would go further to say that if you don't do the above AND incorporate the Intensive Problems and Challenging Word Problems, you might as well choose another program.

Totally disagree! Ds finished 6B in 7th grade, scored well above grade level [on our required standardized testing], and never did any extra Singapore materials.

We did sit around level 3 for a while to let it sink in, and of course added drill, but I wouldn't be afraid to do Singapore without IP or CWP.

P.S. I feel "any" math program needs drill added, so it's hardly an issue with Singapore. In fact, if a program says it includes drill, I would doubt its quality, myself. (MUS is probably the exception since drill mastery seems to be a part of their whole concept.)

Edited by Julie in MN

Yes, Rachna is going to be his teacher. We did one trial day and he really enjoyed it! Is it true that you do not help her at all with the homework?

Did your daughter have to start at a lower level in order to learn the Singapore method? How is she progressing?

Thank you!

Angela, I couldn't help her if I wanted to. I'm serious. I'm not a mathy person It is true. Rachna is so thorough and they cover it so well and practice in class so thoroughly then she assigns the homework based on what they covered. Now, it is based on the skills they covered. So, for example, when she learned to do, say, multi-step word problems in add or subtraction, they did many of those problems in class before they were assigned. Also they worked up to them. They started at simple and worked up. For every chapter they go from text to wkbk to CWP and IP. They've kind of made a game out of trying to find a challenging problem b/c once Rachna has covered it, they aren't as challenging.

Yes, they started her at a lower level than I thought they should have. Sharma said that it was up to me and I very, very, nearly told them to start her where I thought she should me. My husband said that I chose them for a reason and that I should trust them. Well, really in submission to my husband, I went ahead and enrolled her at the level they suggested. Angela! I am so glad I did! When I look at what they've done so far and how much she has learned. It was important that she go back and get some of that foundation that I didn't have quite Singapore-right. Know what I mean? It was those models. In our case, going back has meant that she's building an incredible foundation that my pride was just about to deny her.

Oh, we've been doing Singapore all along. I started her in K with it and I have felt quite comfortable teaching her myself. However, the IP and CWP were just getting to hard for me to teach. I didn't know or understand the models so I couldn't figure out how to teach her. Having skipped those, I imagine, is what let to her being started on the level before. I would have started her at 3B, they started her at 3A.

She has a practice test on Monday. I'll know more then but everything seems wonderful.

BTW, I got a splitter so that two sets of headphones will go into the jack (or whatever it's called). Rachna is more than comfortable with that. At first I just wanted to listen in to make sure that everything was going as I felt it should, on task, not wasting my money, et c. I didn't tell her but over time it has become obvious, I'm sure. Now I don't really listen in much unless I have a question or just want to know how they did something.

Let me know how it goes. I hope you love it!

I would go further to say that if you don't do the above AND incorporate the Intensive Problems and Challenging Word Problems, you might as well choose another program. This is what makes Singapore maths great. I cannot recommend it highly enough but feel that if you don't go the whole shebang, you're not getting the whole Singapore experience and you'd probably be better off using something else.

I think it's the best thing going and worth all the effort!

:iagree: Well said! I hear about a lot of people dropping out of Singapore because they did not do the above. I was a math major in college and I self taught myself mental math. Singapore trains you from the beginning.:thumbup: That all being said I wonder how difficult it is to transfer from other programs, we started with Singapore and will go all the way.

Motherofone,

Thank you for all of the info. and encouragement! It's nice to know someone else is using Cybershala, and that you really love it! I was wondering if I could listen in also, I will look for a splitter. I am going to give it a couple of months, if things go well we will stick with it. I really hope it works out because I love the idea of having a math teacher take over!

Let me know how your daughter progressing.

Blessings,

Angela

I think some children, like my very non-mathy older son, need much more repitition of problem types in order to remember how to do them. Some may need more drill work than others, as well.

When my older son was working through Singapore, not as many types of extra practice workbooks were available, so I used other programs to give him that extra practice he very much needed.

Now, Singapore has out a large variety of extra practice workbooks from which to pick and choose. This enables everyone to perfect the amount of programming they need for each child.

Some children may be able to just work through the text/workbooks and get it, remember it, and be able to do it on demand (like my younger son). Others may need a little more reinforcement; and some may need a lot more reinforcement.

I think because some people have felt in past that Singapore didn't offer enough in that way, they have gained a reputation for needing a side program in order to achieve drill, reinforcement, etc. That's not actually true at all, although you may certainly elect to use a different program to give you extra practice, if your child needs that.

I think some children, like my very non-mathy older son, need much more repitition of problem types in order to remember how to do them. Some may need more drill work than others, as well.

When my older son was working through Singapore, not as many types of extra practice workbooks were available, so I used other programs to give him that extra practice he very much needed.

Now, Singapore has out a large variety of extra practice workbooks from which to pick and choose. This enables everyone to perfect the amount of programming they need for each child.

Some children may be able to just work through the text/workbooks and get it, remember it, and be able to do it on demand (like my younger son). Others may need a little more reinforcement; and some may need a lot more reinforcement.

I think because some people have felt in past that Singapore didn't offer enough in that way, they have gained a reputation for needing a side program in order to achieve drill, reinforcement, etc. That's not actually true at all, although you may certainly elect to use a different program to give you extra practice, if your child needs that.

The Extra Practice book does, indeed, seem to be geared toward students who need more help/practice. However, the Challenging Word Problems and the Intensive Practice books are not. They are more challenging work, work for stretching the student's mind/ability, using concepts in new and more challenging ways.

The Extra Practice book does, indeed, seem to be geared toward students who need more help/practice. However, the Challenging Word Problems and the Intensive Practice books are not. They are more challenging work, work for stretching the student's mind/ability, using concepts in new and more challenging ways.

:iagree: IP and CWP were considered part of the program in Singapore, students, mathy or not, were expected to do both. My Dd is fairy mathy but I require those supplementals and it has really paid off. I remember number 10 bonds back in 1A (I think) She grasped it quickly but when really drilled her brain trained itself to really think in bonds. So much so that her mental math is stellar. Plus, doing IP and CWP workbooks allows me to further assess and compensate. If we did only the text and workbook I couldn't always count on mastery.

If we did only the text and workbook I couldn't always count on mastery.

The extras aren't an arm and a leg, and it was nice to have around for those unexpected glitches where something so basic didn't seem to "seat" the first time around. Also, you can flip one open a few months later for a review.

I think Singapore by itself is a great and complete program.

My oldest did Singapore along with some of the Key to workbooks. She only did the Key to workbooks when she needed more problems than Singapore had. This was back when the 3rd edition was the only thing out there.

My middle did Singapore along with two of the Challenging Word Problems workbooks. I only added CWP to slow her down. She did not need them to have a complete program.

My youngest is doing Singapore with Daily Math Practice from Evan-Moor. The reviews in Singapore aren't frequent enough for her. Daily Math Practice reviews concepts/skills frequently enough that she still remembers how to do the problems when she gets to the reviews in Singapore.

What is Cybershala?