Menu

Boston...looking for someone to open their house to my sister/neice going to hospital

My sister's daugher has a 6 mm tumor on or near her brain. She is considering taking her to a top doctor in Boston.

I'm going out on ask if any of you are in a position to open your home or more a room and bed for them to sleep in if they do go to the doctor in Boston???? I'm sure a nigthly rate could be agreed upon.

Some families are in a position to do this and others are not, but if your house is conducive for these house guests, please let me know.

They are followers of our Lord Jesus (Christian).

About 2 years ago my sister took her to a doctor in Canada, but they can not pinpoint a diagnosis.

This is frustrating. She is a 14 year kidney cancer survivor and she's concerned for her daughter. My sister has her own annual cancer tests coming up in Sept.....she has alot on her plate trying to "find" the right doctor, get their for an appt/s, travel there, etc. God has blessed her though as she's done fine every year with her tests. But, this is additional stress.

Sorry this is so scattered.

Has she checked to see if there's houses available through the hospital? I'm sure they have some as people come from all around the world to go to Boston Childrens. I'm not close but have taken my daughter, who has a pineal cyst.

Can you tell me the doctor she may be seeing, either here or PM? I'd love to get a second opinion.

So sorry to hear of the diagnosis.

Is the daughter a minor? Families can stay at the Ronald McDonald house near the hospital for between 8 and 14 dollars a night depended on the rates of that particular house. Most parents stay at the hospital 24/7 due to hospital policy (at least that is the way our hospital works), so she would only need a place when they were not inpatient. If the child's immune system is low it might be hard to keep a whole house and everyone in it clean and illness free too, but one room at the RMH would be easier to clean.

My son has leukemia, and this what I have heard from others that travel a long way to get here (we are only 20 mins away from the facility).

Prayers for both of them.

Denise, Can you further explain "houses"? I know when my aunt was in Cleveland Clinic last year, some of my family stayed at the "hospital" hotel (sounds weird), but it was pricey. You would think it wouldn't be.

Yes, as soon as I hear from my sister I'll pm you with name. IF you don't hear from me, please pm me. I'm very busy helping my 83 year old Dad relocate back home to Ohio.

What condition is that your dd has?

Remember to email me if I forget.

Wendy, No my neice is 25 so she wouldn't qualify.

I'll keep plugging away because there may be a family out there that this may fit.

I'm going to reread both of your emails. Thanks for the prayers!

Glory to the King! Sheryl <><

Definitely check to see if there is a Ronald McDonald House. I know people that have stayed in these in both Iowa City and St. Louis and they had great experiences. The low nightly rate as low as $5.00 at some, also includes some meals as well. I hope all goes well with the treatment. I take my daughter to St. Louis (6 hours one way) for her orthopedic treatment so I do understand about traveling for better health care.

My sister's daugher has a 6 mm tumor on or near her brain. She is considering taking her to a top doctor in Boston.

I'm going out on ask if any of you are in a position to open your home or more a room and bed for them to sleep in if they do go to the doctor in Boston???? I'm sure a nigthly rate could be agreed upon.

Some families are in a position to do this and others are not, but if your house is conducive for these house guests, please let me know.

They are followers of our Lord Jesus (Christian).

About 2 years ago my sister took her to a doctor in Canada, but they can not pinpoint a diagnosis.

This is frustrating. She is a 14 year kidney cancer survivor and she's concerned for her daughter. My sister has her own annual cancer tests coming up in Sept.....she has alot on her plate trying to "find" the right doctor, get their for an appt/s, travel there, etc. God has blessed her though as she's done fine every year with her tests. But, this is additional stress.

Sorry this is so scattered.

Where are they traveling from?

I am not far from Boston, but there is a ferry ride involved- it's a 2 hour trip total.

LMK

Boston Hospitality Homes

We never used this, but there is a program that provides housing for patient's families in Boston. Is your neice seeing Dr. Peter Black at Brigham and Women's? He is considered one of the top brain tumor neurosurgeons in the country.

her Resources

Hospitality Homes is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing a caring response to the housing needs of patients' families when they travel to the Boston area for medical treatment. In the spirit of service and compassion, Hospitality Homes provides comfortable, short-term accommodations in a variety of locations donated by volunteer hosts. Our hosts, who live in Boston or nearby areas, provide guests with a spare bedroom in their homes knowing they are helping a patient's healing process. Learn more about the Hospitality Program call (617) 482-4338 or visit http://www.hosp.org/