Menu

Anyone use Real Science 4 Kids?

Joker

Hi! I am new to posting at this site, but have enjoyed reading all the information here. Has anyone used Real Science 4 Kids? What do you like / not like about the program. I am interested in using for my dd's, 7 and 9. I was looking at level 1 Chemistry - is it sufficient to be used for one year of study? Thanks for any information!

We're midway through Chemistry I with an 8yo and 11yo. I think the Chem is probably good for ½ year of study? We've been working with it alongside a couple other science projects, so I've sort of lost track of how long we've been doing the curriculum.

We thoroughly enjoy it, though - and the girls seem to be learning/retaining a lot of information. :)

hths!

I used the Chemistry within a Science Club setting. While I love to teach chemistry, I hated this program. There was so much focus on documentation and not enough on what is cool about chemistry - the whizzz, bang, wow factor. I had to work hard at keeping the kids engaged during the experiments. It ruined what should have been a great year.

I loved Level 1 Chemistry - it's designed as a twelve week course, but you could stretch it. I thought that the biology was a strange mishmash of levels (I've done half with Hobbes when he was about seven but will be doing the other half when he's nine or ten) and the physics was quite dry, with experiments that didn't always work.

FWIW, second time through, I am planning on doing:

Age 7: part of level 1 biology plus other resources

Age 8: part of Teaching Physics With Toys

Age 9: It's So Amazing (sex ed), map reading, RS4K Level 1 Chemistry,

Age 10: part of Teaching Physics With Toys, second part of level 1 biology plus other resources.

Laura

I used the Chemistry within a Science Club setting. While I love to teach chemistry, I hated this program. There was so much focus on documentation and not enough on what is cool about chemistry - the whizzz, bang, wow factor. I had to work hard at keeping the kids engaged during the experiments. It ruined what should have been a great year.

Which level was this?

I'm wondering if you have found an alternative program you like better- one with the wow factor?

To tell you the truth, we had more fun when we just used the Usborne Internet Linked Science Encyclopedia (I think there were two main sections that dealt with chemistry) as a spine and used the Internet to help find experiments. We did purchase some beakers and graduated cylinders for some experiments and demonstrations (like elephant toothpaste:).) We also used Fizz, Bubbles, and Flash to round things out. It was a fun year. Now, it didn't hurt that one of the mom's is a chemist and has access to some cool equipment, but, even if she were not a part of the group, it still would have been great. This was in a club setting (5 - 6 families taking turns to lead it - meeting 2 times a month.)

I did not use Noeo science for chemistry, but we did use it for Physics this year and we really liked it. It looks like they use many of the same books we used, but had the kits to make it easier.

I loved Level 1 Chemistry - it's designed as a twelve week course, but you could stretch it. I thought that the biology was a strange mishmash of levels (I've done half with Hobbes when he was about seven but will be doing the other half when he's nine or ten) and the physics was quite dry, with experiments that didn't always work.

FWIW, second time through, I am planning on doing:

Age 7: part of level 1 biology plus other resources

Age 8: part of Teaching Physics With Toys

Age 9: It's So Amazing (sex ed), map reading, RS4K Level 1 Chemistry,

Age 10: part of Teaching Physics With Toys, second part of level 1 biology plus other resources.

Laura

I kinda was under the impression that I should go with pre-level 1 Biology for my 7year old and level 1 for my 10 year old. Am I wasting money getting both?

I kinda was under the impression that I should go with pre-level 1 Biology for my 7year old and level 1 for my 10 year old. Am I wasting money getting both?

About half of level 1 seems like Kindergarten biology to me: life cycles of frogs, butterflies.... water cycle, parts of a flower, etc. The other half is serious microscope work - very worthwhile for your ten year old.

I haven't seen Pre-level 1, so I can't compare. Good luck with your decision.

Laura