Menu

how do I make my pictures unable to be copied?

if I post pictures on my blog or anywhere really on the interenet people merely have to right click and they're able to take a copy of my picture. Is there a way to protect my pictures?

Mostly I don't want my IL's to keep taking my pictures before I have the opportunity to give it to them. They download and distribute to the entire extended family our newest family photo that I had hoped to use for the Christmas card.... :001_huh:

:confused: I understand that you don't want the pictures copied, since they are your pictures and strangers have the ability to copy them. However, I don't understand how you can post a picture you plan to use as a surprise later. Wouldn't everyone you will be sending the picture to have access to see it on your blog prior to receiving the card? I guess I just don't see a difference in your ILs cutting and pasting the picture in an email to friends and emailing a link to your blog post with the picture.

Based on what you've said, I'd either not post a picture until you're ready to "debut" it, make the picture so blurry/distorted that it can't be recognized and use it as a teaser, or ask your inlaws not to copy and paste. In that order! ;)

It sounds like your inlaws are very proud of your family and wish to show them off. I'm jealous!! :D

There are HTML codes you can put on your blog to have the right-click protection, but I'm not sure where to put them - I would assume the sidebar. No one can right-click on my blog because years ago I joined a blog rating web ring thingy and the right-click protection just came with it.

But don't forget that some pictures you post on your blog can be (left-) clicked on to see it enlarged. Even if you have right-click-protection on your blog, someone would be able to copy the pic from the enlargement. I sometimes take the HTML codes out of the picture that allows the enlargement (only from the dead-on shots of the kids).

Can't be too safe!

Edited by Abkjw01

Do you have an editing software that you use before you upload the pictures to your blog?

If so, why not put a watermark on the pictures you upload? It will take some initial time to create a watermark, but once it's done .. it's done. You can then simply paste it onto every picture just before you upload. People could still see the pictures, but would be less likely to print them out and distribute them.

Watermarks don't have to be obstrusive and take away from the overall photo. It could be a simple "PROOF" or even just "C/LASTNAME" where the C/ is the copyright symbol.

Just a different idea, HTH.

Plus people can make screenshots of your pictures anyway even if you don't let them copy it.

Yep.

The only way to remotely keep one's images is to not put them on the internet, e-mail or anything else. People usually won't scan your pix and upload them if you send a hard copy.

a

Mostly I don't want my IL's to keep taking my pictures before I have the opportunity to give it to them. They download and distribute to the entire extended family our newest family photo that I had hoped to use for the Christmas card.... :001_huh:

Have you talked to them about it?

If they still do it after you explicitly request them not to, then I would just save the good pix for your Christmas cards.

Plus people can make screenshots of your pictures anyway even if you don't let them copy it.

I was going to say that too. That's how I've gotten around the right click protection. :blush: Your inlaws might not know to do a screen capture, but maybe they do! Better to not post the pictures at all, or do a watermark, as suggested. I think that's the best idea, except for pictures you plan to use for Christmas cards. I'd keep those off the blog entirely.

:confused: I understand that you don't want the pictures copied, since they are your pictures and strangers have the ability to copy them. However, I don't understand how you can post a picture you plan to use as a surprise later. Wouldn't everyone you will be sending the picture to have access to see it on your blog prior to receiving the card? I guess I just don't see a difference in your ILs cutting and pasting the picture in an email to friends and emailing a link to your blog post with the picture.

Based on what you've said, I'd either not post a picture until you're ready to "debut" it, make the picture so blurry/distorted that it can't be recognized and use it as a teaser, or ask your inlaws not to copy and paste. In that order! ;)

It sounds like your inlaws are very proud of your family and wish to show them off. I'm jealous!! :D

My blog isn't public. And for the past year it's actually not been updated. I wouldn't say my il's are proud of us. I think my family makes for interesting conversations (gossip). :D "....I just don't know how she does it.... those kids....."

There are HTML codes you can put on your blog to have the right-click protection, but I'm not sure where to put them - I would assume the sidebar. No one can right-click on my blog because years ago I joined a blog rating web ring thingy and the right-click protection just came with it.

But don't forget that some pictures you post on your blog can be (left-) clicked on to see it enlarged. Even if you have right-click-protection on your blog, someone would be able to copy the pic from the enlargement. I sometimes take the HTML codes out of the picture that allows the enlargement (only from the dead-on shots of the kids).

Can't be too safe!

The no right click alone won't keep anyone with more than a little knowledge of Internet from getting your pictures....all you have to do is look at the source code and find the .jpg or .gif that was used.

The no right click code and many other codes can be found at places like dynamicdrive.com. I don't blog so I don't know if these codes will work there, but if your blog is html than it should.

I have to say I agree with the other poster that said you should probably keep the Christmas card photo off your website until you've mailed the cards out, lol. We use a montage of pics from the year for our cards because I can never pick just one. So perhaps that would work for you if your first choice was already distributed.....make it more a "year in review" than a single photo?

the posters who have affirmed that there is no sure-fire way to protect your pictures are absolutely correct. if you don't want people to have access to your stuff - keep it off the internet. at best, we only have the illusion of privacy when it comes to the web. i post family photos on Facebook that only select Facebook friends can easily see. but even then, i am circumspect about what i post because once the pictures are up i have little ultimate control over where they wind up.

a friend of mine is a photographer and posts a photo blog. she puts her name in very large print on every photo so that it would be difficult for someone to use them commercially. i often use her photos for my computer desktop (which she doesn't mind) but i have to chose photos where her name isn't overwhelmingly obvious.

I agree -- the best way would be to put your name or some other such mark that would make it undesirable to distribute, and not neatly in one inconspicuous corner that could be cropped right off.

But unless there is some secret, I really don't get why the Christmas card photo must be a "surprise" (especially if you've put it online so it's not really secret). It seems to me that it would be okay if it were everyone's favorite photo, already known and loved -- people would love to have the opportunity to ooh and aah over it all over again.