Menu

Boy Scouts and Homeschooling

I just listed at my blog how I am using all of the worksheets from Boy Scout merit badges in our homeschool program. They are great resources and lesson plans- jump over there and see. There is a worksheet lesson plan for every topic.

http://www.domesticlifestyle.wordpress.com

How are you using scouts as part of your program?

Edited by Lux Et Veritas Academy

We did Camp Fire and 4-H, counting them as our curriculum. I didn't do anything special or extra, just followed the requirements for each badge or activity.

We did Camp Fire independently as there was not a club close to where we lived. Dds sold candy, marched in parades, went to residential and day camp...the whole thing. I wanted them to feel like they were part of the larger organization, but as independents, we were able to move along as quickly as we wanted to in earning badges.

We're continuing to use MBs as the backbone of our science .....He usually has 3-6 MBs going at a time. ..... He has Scouts on his school list every day and just picks whatever he wants to work on that day.

This is what we did this past year. we're doing a formal Biology this next year, so his MB will focus on non-science topics. ;)

and just an fyi to non-Scout people: you can buy the Scout materials and follow it even if you're not a scout. The merit badge/rank advancement books are great, and the worksheets can be printed by anyone.

How do I access your blog? It just takes me to wordpress.org.

(I found it: it's the .com rather than the .org. We use that same merit badge site --- it's great!)

Ds is working on extra merit badges now; he needs his Eagle Project and paperwork, and then he'll be done. Have you used outside MB counselors, or are you registered for the MBs you've done? We want to work on meteorology, weather, and oceonography (interesting one -- we're near the Great Lakes, not the oceans!:) ).

Edited by K in MI

Great topic! We use this site a lot

http://usscouts.org/advancementTOC.asp#misc

We have many of the books, but it is so convenient to have info online. Ds is currently a Webelos Scout. A lot of the achievements tie in with schoolwork -- like Naturalist, Geologist, etc. The awards are such a motivator -- I don't think my ds would be doing 1/4 mile swims without the scout guidelines.

A lot of the badges/pins have 'character connections" linked to the Cub Scout 12 core values -- for example, Webelos Athlete is linked to perseverance -- ds has to swim that 1/4 mile weekly over a 5 week period and he had to choose a difficult activity over an easier one. I also like that many of the activities (at least at Cub Scout level) link to family -- for example, if we are going on a trip, ds can chart out the route for Traveler pin. I know you could do this on your own, but did I mention motivation?

BSA also sells a Family Activity book with activities to get the entire family involved. And there are little religion guides (covering most religions) for the BSA Emblem of Faith.

As pp said, you do not need to be a scout to use these.

Edited by Alessandra

We're still in Cub Scouts, but I've started using the religious emblems books as part of our day. Since we don't get to do merit badges, we just cover some of the stuff in his book for class. He's a Bear this year and things are so much more interesting!

The only problem I have is that I'm his den leader and it bothers me that he could earn his Bear badge over the summer while the rest of my den will be starting on A.1 in September.

We do! We are using the characteristics from the Scout Law (i.e. reverent, loyal, truthful, clean) as monthly topics. We are planning on using some of the MBs as guides for our physical education credits. DS will be working on bicycling and Physical Fitness this fall and winter. Physical Fitness takes about 4 months to complete so it should keep him pretty busy.

My three sons have been in scouting since Tiger cubs. Our 15yo is a Life scout, needing to finish two badges and a project for Eagle. Our 13yo has just completed Life and our 11yo has completed Second Class.

We have found scouting to be a wonderful fit for our homeschooling. However, I don't agree that MBs should be done in lieu of a formal subject. IMHO MBs should be extracurricular, and certainly can augment (but not replace) an existing course in e.g. biology.

Here's an article I wrote a while back on homeschool scouting.

http://www.thehomeschoolmagazine.com/How_To_Homeschool/articles/boy_scouting_and_homeschool.php

We used the scout law and oath as copy work. He needed to memorize it anyway. All three boys are involved. My dmil has dubbed me a "scout widow" because dh is gone so often with scouting. He is cubmaster and an assistant scout master. I think that part of the bear exerience is being with other den members and understanding how a scout interacts with others not just getting through the levels. Bears are young yet and lots of that curriculum is hands on and fun. As far as mb for a substitute for school....I think it has its place it can be a very useful starting off point and encourage boys to dig deeper when learning something new. For instance my ds 11 was not interested in practicing trumpet until he saw he could get a bugler badge, now I don't even have to remind him because he wants that badge. It is nice to think that a boy would see the mb work is fun and then the connection that learning is fun is made and on top of that they get to wear a badge to show they learned. But does this put homeschooled boys at an unfair advantage over boys who don't homeschool?

But does this put homeschooled boys at an unfair advantage over boys who don't homeschool?

I have thought about that. DS is the only hsed scout in his troop. We did work on some MBs during the school year but they were extracurricular, not considered school work. They were badges that DS had an interest in and the troop would never vote to complete them as a unit, the reading badge for example. I also worked diligently at finding certified merit badge counselors and programs through nature centers, zoos, museums, etc. All of the programs are offered on the weekends and are available to homeschoolers and public schoolers alike so I didn't think it was a hsed advantage. I think the only advantage my DS has is a mom who is really into scouting and willing to do a lot of leg work. But I did that when he went to public school so for us there is no difference.

I don't consider homeschooling any more of an advantage than that experienced by the boy's whose fathers are leaders or assistant leaders. In my experience those boys have more badges than the other scouts. It's the nature of the beast - the boys whose fathers are more involved have greater opportunity to participate in badge programs and special scouting opportunities. Our leaders' sons receive more badges, awards and recognition than the average scout. This year's candidates for the Order of the Arrow are all leader's sons.

But does this put homeschooled boys at an unfair advantage over boys who don't homeschool?

I don't understand this question. We are all trying to do what is best for our kids. Would you really hold your child back because another child doesn't have an active parent to help them? :001_smile:

We used the scout law and oath as copy work. He needed to memorize it anyway. All three boys are involved. My dmil has dubbed me a "scout widow" because dh is gone so often with scouting. He is cubmaster and an assistant scout master. I think that part of the bear exerience is being with other den members and understanding how a scout interacts with others not just getting through the levels. Bears are young yet and lots of that curriculum is hands on and fun. As far as mb for a substitute for school....I think it has its place it can be a very useful starting off point and encourage boys to dig deeper when learning something new. For instance my ds 11 was not interested in practicing trumpet until he saw he could get a bugler badge, now I don't even have to remind him because he wants that badge. It is nice to think that a boy would see the mb work is fun and then the connection that learning is fun is made and on top of that they get to wear a badge to show they learned. But does this put homeschooled boys at an unfair advantage over boys who don't homeschool?

We were ahead even before we started hsing. The other parents in my den (even my assistant leader), leave everything to be done during the meetings. I've had to start assigning homework, just so the parents would do the family sections with their scouts. I DO worry that my ds is at an unfair advantage over the other kids, but then, as the pp's stated, why SHOULD I hold him back? That's why I took him out of school in the first place, so he could go as far as he wanted to, without assuming the burden of dragging his peers along with him, or else, being tethered to them, because they won't/can't go any further any faster.

I don't think that it puts a ps student as disadvantaged over a homeschool scout. Most public school things could work right along with the merit badge if you were familiar with them. I am just saying the resources are great for homeschoolers. Our troop lets you work on any merit badge as long as there is a counselor.

My three sons have been in scouting since Tiger cubs. Our 15yo is a Life scout, needing to finish two badges and a project for Eagle. Our 13yo has just completed Life and our 11yo has completed Second Class.

We have found scouting to be a wonderful fit for our homeschooling. However, I don't agree that MBs should be done in lieu of a formal subject. IMHO MBs should be extracurricular, and certainly can augment (but not replace) an existing course in e.g. biology.

:iagree: I don't think it should replace a course, but could certainly be an added supplement

We finished our Tiger year back in the spring and I've been studying the Wolf manual over the summer. It is pretty amazing how many things we could be DONE with if I wanted to push it ... get the Wolf badge practically when we start back. I'm not pushing though, but I am taking notes on certain things that I know qualify. :)

I think it's a nice complement to homeschooling, but I'm not for sure that we have an advantage. The only advantage my son had over the other boys in his pack was this: I was the only mother who actually bothered to READ the manual. So of course he earned stuff. He was the first to get his Tiger badge (I thought we were supposed to finish it by Blue & Gold, but I guess no one else realized that) and I think he was one of the few to earn any elective beads. And that was purely because I read to see what was available. It's not like the Tiger requirements are all that difficult ... half the achievements involve merely showing up and giving it a try.

A lot of boys missed meetings due to sports ... but none of them tried applying those sports to the belt loops or pins. Any one of them could've bought the book at the store, same as I did, and read up to see the options.

We're not even entirely sure who our pack and den leaders will be this year (as ours had a baby in the spring and might be a tad busier than usual).

Anyway ... I think the only advantage you get in Scouting is whether or not your parents are involved and supportive, rather than just showing up and dropping off. As someone pointed out, if you are on top of what your PS class is doing and studying, you can still apply a lot of it towards the electives and belt loops.