Menu

Facebook Mafia Wars

Okay, I admit that I am now addicted to the Mafia Wars game on Facebook. It didn't take very long either. Does anyone else play? Please tell me I'm not the only one! And I am bummed because my husband found some guys at work who are really high up there. I will never catch him now. *sigh*

My dh, two of my brother-in-laws and a nephew all asked me to join their mafia. Now I'm the one addicted to the game and are at a higher level then 2 of them. I'm level 228! Now my nephew also has me playing Pirates. The thing I like about the games is that you don't have to spend hours playing it. I only play it for a few minutes at a time to use up my energy.

I'm still really new at this, but my understanding is that when you join a mafia, you become part of that person's mafia, but then you also have your own mafia comprised of your friends who are also playing. So pretty much, anyone who is currently playing can be in your mafia and vice versa.

The kicker for me is that the way the game is set up, you are "rewarded" with more energy, money, etc to buy weapons, do jobs (various criminal activities), etc. So you can log in several times a day, or more, and do stuff, each time advancing your level. And with each advancing level, you get to do more stuff. Then there are mafia "fights" where you can pit your mafia's strength against another's, and if you win, you get more money, loot, and experience points to help you advance.

A lot of people just sign up and never ever do anything, and that's okay too. To buy some things you have to have a certain number of people in your mafia. So even if you did sign up and never do anything, you'd be helping them. That was my intention when I signed up...but then someone sent me an untraceable cell phone, I was intrigued, and it was all over.

I predict I'll get bored of it in a few months, like I did with My Farm. But, who knows??

Why was this tagged stereotypes?

I'm still waffling, but if I decide to commit to yet another online game that will rob my home of untold hours of cleaning I'll let you guys know ;)

I didn't know you could join as many mafias as you want. What happens if two of the ones you're in decide to battle, or whatever it is they do?

It's probably tagged stereotypes (although I don't even know what that looks like on this board) b/c Italian-Americans are often offended by links to the mafia. I have no idea of this game even remotely hints at Italian-Americans, but maybe that's why.

I'm Italian-American and am not offended, but I know others who were not happy w/the Sopranos, The Godfather movies, Goodfellas, etc.

HTH,

Laura

It's probably tagged stereotypes (although I don't even know what that looks like on this board) b/c Italian-Americans are often offended by links to the mafia. I have no idea of this game even remotely hints at Italian-Americans, but maybe that's why.

I'm Italian-American and am not offended, but I know others who were not happy w/the Sopranos, The Godfather movies, Goodfellas, etc.

HTH,

Laura

Ah, I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't play Mafia Wars, but I'll join anyone's family who wants to become my vassal in Knighthood. :) You can even uninstall right away so you don't get annoying update messages.