Menu

Feral cat with kitten in my backyard.....

This happened (is happening) to us right now!

A stray cat had a litter about a month ago in our garage. I was trying to keep it quiet so my little girls wouldn't know about it and I could take them all to the pound.

Unfortunately, my 11yo ds blabbed and now the kittens have been petted, fed, and named. sigh.

They are really cute and as an added bonus-we have NO MICE!! not that that makes you feel any better, I'm sure. :)

This happened to us over a year ago, and the mother cat is still here, a much loved part of the family :tongue_smilie: I was a cat-hater and she has even won me over. My husband tried to get rid of her at one stage by taking her out of town and dumping her, but about 3 days later SHE CAME BACK!!! One of her now grown up kittens is here as well and I think they are both pregnant again. We should get rid of them but...... the kids would be devastated. :001_unsure:

This happened to us over a year ago, and the mother cat is still here, a much loved part of the family :tongue_smilie: I was a cat-hater and she has even won me over. My husband tried to get rid of her at one stage by taking her out of town and dumping her, but about 3 days later SHE CAME BACK!!! One of her now grown up kittens is here as well and I think they are both pregnant again. We should get rid of them but...... the kids would be devastated. :001_unsure:

Maybe it's time for kitties to get spayed?

Is there a big push for spaying & neuter where you live? I see you're in Australia. In my part of the US (western NY) there is a constant & unrelenting message to reduce (thru spau/neuter programs) unwanted pets b/c it is such a big problem here. What is it like where you live?

Edited by unsinkable
cuz spade & spayed are 2 different words

Maybe it's time for kitties to get spayed?

Is there a big push for spaying & neuter where you live? I see you're in Australia. In my part of the US (western NY) there is a constant & unrelenting message to reduce (thru spau/neuter programs) unwanted pets b/c it is such a big problem here. What is it like where you live?

Not such a big push for it here as what it sounds like it is where you are. I suppose I should, but it is quite pricey to have it done here, and since the cats are not technically ours, I guess I never really could justify the expense. We were probably just hoping they would eventually leave but we are still waiting...... :tongue_smilie:

A lot depends on how feral she is. If she is truly feral, it would be VERY hard to socialize her, as opposed to a stray who might be happy to be adopted. How big is the kitten?

Cats almost always have litters of two or three or more, but there have been times when they only have one. Far more common is when only one kitten survives.

I suggest the ASPCA, although a cat rescue group would be my first choice. Google your area and "cat rescue." There is often a catch and release program for feral cats.