Menu

Want To Start HSing but Husband is NOT on Board...advice

Congratulations on your positive result! :)

I just wanted to say that my DH was not up for home schooling in the slightest when I first mentioned it, but I a) did not nag, at all (well, not very much!) and b) prayed a lot, and slowly but surely he came around.

But, looks like you're already well on your way, so good luck!

Clare

OhElisabeth~ Thank you for your comment. So very helpful.

I wanted to tell everyone after putting together a possible schedule, my DH said he is willing to give it a shot. SO starting Monday we will do the schedule and see how it goes. All I have at the moment is Time4Learning but am having the older kids doing the CLE placement test for LA and Math this weekend. I may order just a couple of the LightUnits to see how it goes.

I'm really excited. Oh and as far as his expectations on the house and meal front, that has never been an issue for him nor do i see it being an issue in the future.

Cheryl

Excellent!

Is it understood that when the husband doesn't get his way then he turns into a jerk? (Sincere question) This hasn't been my experience at all. Now I'm wondering how other people's relationship works.

My husband wasn't completely on board either but because it was something I felt strongly about, he left the decision to me. His reasons for being against homeschooling our oldest (only one school age at the time) were our three littles (including a newborn). Same as op's husband, he was afraid of burnout/unorganization and such. Even though he wasn't in agreement, he still helped me when needed and supported/backed me when needed with the children.

We have since completed our first year and even though we didn't get to all we planned and we actually dropped a lot of extras (art/music/latin etc), he is completely and totally on board now. My oldest's state test scores were amazingly high this year, compared to low 80/high 90 percentiles from his last year in ps.

He and I share a similiar relationship as you and your husband. He has the final say on financial things because he brings in the money (his job) and I have the final say on the children because they are in my care all the time (my job). We work together and make decisions as a team but we also respect each other's place in this family and always support each other's decisions....especially in front of the children. They, and everyone else in this world, see us as a united front always.

Hey I wanted to ask you all as far as the achievement tests to be used as a base line, how/where would I go to have something like that done? That is something that may help him "see" the progress they make.

Oh and to the poster who mentioned hsing with a newborn vs a toddler, I agree. I think babies are SOO much easier then toddlers. My biggest worry is the lack of sleep in those early weeks. But I am going to have a list for the older kids on what needs to be completed each day and NO t.v. until those things are completed. For my little ones, I have Singapore Math that they can do and will read with them. I even have that Learn to Read in 100 Lessons book that we could use. All things that I could do and feed the baby at the same time.

What I am not looking forward to are the comments I know i WILL get from my parents and relatives. What have you all said to support your choice to hs? I want to keep my answer simple and to the point. I figure I will say something along the lines that my kids can get a better education at home plain and simple.

Another question, sorry lol, would I need to call the school and let them know the kids won't be starting since they are all registered to start?? I am in MI so the laws here are excellent for hsing.

Cheryl

Hey I wanted to ask you all as far as the achievement tests to be used as a base line, how/where would I go to have something like that done? That is something that may help him "see" the progress they make.

Oh and to the poster who mentioned hsing with a newborn vs a toddler, I agree. I think babies are SOO much easier then toddlers. My biggest worry is the lack of sleep in those early weeks. But I am going to have a list for the older kids on what needs to be completed each day and NO t.v. until those things are completed. For my little ones, I have Singapore Math that they can do and will read with them. I even have that Learn to Read in 100 Lessons book that we could use. All things that I could do and feed the baby at the same time.

What I am not looking forward to are the comments I know i WILL get from my parents and relatives. What have you all said to support your choice to hs? I want to keep my answer simple and to the point. I figure I will say something along the lines that my kids can get a better education at home plain and simple.

Another question, sorry lol, would I need to call the school and let them know the kids won't be starting since they are all registered to start?? I am in MI so the laws here are excellent for hsing.

Cheryl

After my last one was born we didn't do any schooling for, um, well, several weeks. Sorry I'm not more specific - that time is kinda muddled. I mean I read to the older kids; but, I didn't worry if math wasn't done on any given day or not. After several weeks we eased back into a schedule. There were a few glitches (I seem to remember assuring my son [as I wondered idly if I could have something alcoholic at 9 a.m.] that he really *did* know what 2+2 was...sigh...it did get better); but, overall, things clicked very well. I guess my rather long-winded point is that please don't feel you need to rush back into academics after the baby is born. Read to them, let them watch Magic School Bus and other similar videos, and maybe (if everyone feels up to it) throw in an occasional math worksheet. You'll find your groove.

As for those negative comments, practice your best bland "We've discussed (prayed about, etc) this and both feel this is what is right for our family. Bean dip?" If you'll search on both this board and the General board you'll find myriad threads dealing with less than enthusiastic family members. Don't explain and defend as that generally lets people know that this issue is debatable.

As far as withdrawing your kids, check your state's homeschool association for the requirements. In Texas it's as simple as a letter to the principal (or maybe superintendant of the ISD - mine have never been in public school). Someone from Michigan will be best able to help you. Good luck with everything and, please, do keep your expectations reasonable. Remember you don't have to teach everything this first year. Relax and your kids will relax and you'll be amazed at what they learn and retain.

One of the easiest ones to give at home is the CAT 5 (unless something has changed with this.) Seton has a shorter version that just handles math and language arts that cost me $25 last year. There is a longer one, but I don't remember where I got it and you can't do that one just any old time.

Cheryl

Sometimes the better education line has backfired for me because people then feel defensive about the public, parochial, charter or private school they use for their dc. One of the simplest answers I've used is along the lines of "right now this is what is working best for our family." Many people will press the point. I usually tell them that we take it one year at a time. Technically, this is correct, but it's also correct that I have no plans to put any of my dc back into ps full time. It's just not necessary to add that last part.

I'm using Seton this year for testing, because they were handy and showed up at the homeschool convention. Last year I used the CAT that CLP does, and that was fine too. Does just what you're looking for, doesn't take much time or $$, and has a fast turn-around.

I read through some of the posts but not all. It sounds like your husbands concern is what if it doesn't work. I would say come up with a plan..schedule. Especially consider curriculum choice that works best for the family where you are right now.

As the year progresses and it get challenging consider just make sure you don't drop the ball on the 3 r's

Worse case scenario, it's too much for you and they have to go back to PS I seriously doubt they will be behind.

Just come up with a plan for how you will manage it all. Another plan for how you will adjust when new baby comes along.

My DH wasn't ready for me to hs at first either. Since we both (and practically everyone else in our families) are certified ps teachers, we had more faith in the ps system than we should have. It wasn't until the ps failed our kids miserably that I was able to convince him that we should be hsing.

I started hsing with a newborn in the home and, though it was slightly more of a challenge, I would say that a two year old poses more of a challenge than a newborn who sleeps and nurses most of the day. I would venture to say that it would be easier for you to start hsing now so that you can get into the routine rather than waiting until a toddler is running around the house to shift gears.

We've been homeschooling for 8 years and we've really had to figure out what works best for each child. I wouldn't go against your husband's wishes, but also, if you do keep them home and then have to put them in school later, it certainly isn't time lost! We are fairly relaxed homeschoolers and I am always impressed at how much my kids learn when they have the freedom to explore what interests them.

Good luck with the decision. It can be so hard when both parents aren't in the same place.

Don't worry about school when the baby comes. I've had one and am getting ready for the next baby. Here's an easy easy pie schedule to follow for the older ones. Let the youngers just have time off. Use your time now to get them used to doing english, math on their own (can open up the book, turn to the next page and do a lesson)

Take off 6 weeks when the baby comes. They are too excited about the baby and have to learn to handle one just like you do. That's why you start now and count July, August as school days to help make up taking off 6 weeks.

If you can during those 6 weeks ( but do let them take off a couple of weeks at least if not the full 6 weeks), the oldest kids can read science and history books for an hour or so. They can do their math lesson each day without you. A simple spelling program can still be followed. For writing, assign them passages from each book they read to copy. Don't make it hard. Just tell them to copy a paragraph everyday that is x sentences long. Copying builds important skills and does wonders for children.

With the youngers, every time you feed the baby, let them snuggle with you and have a book, simple puzzle, maze books, dot to dot books etc handy for them to do while you sit there feeding the baby. I made up a basket that they could tote themselves that had such stuff in it. When I sat down, they would go get their basket and pick something to do and I could help them. Nothing stressful just fun stuff that thrilled them.

IF you need to count days for school, all of the above counts. Remember in school every pizza party, birthday party, test day (take the test for an hour and do NOTHING the rest of the day in my schools) counts as school. Around here school starts at 7:45 and as long as they get to 11:00, that's a full day of school. And Lunch starts at 10:30 while breakfast runs to 8:00. We have a lot of short days. Like the last week of school. IT all is counted in the public school 180 days.

IF you took the full 6 weeks off, then start with the above and as you feel stronger and the baby settles into a better pattern, add in ONE thing every couple of weeks. Really and truly the first year with a newborn you won't get past reading, math, and english so don't worry about it. Take them to the library and have them pick x amount of history books and x amount of science books every couple of weeks and that counts as science and history. It will be informal but it will work and you will be surprised that you did as much as you did. Write down what they did in a planner and there's your record keeping.

Keep it simple.