Menu

Anyone use a pre-K program that they really like?

My youngest just turned 4 and is constantly asking to do school. I tried to use a free online program but it was just too much work. I will have a 3rd & 1st grader so I'd like to buy a program that I can just open up and use. We'll be using MFW this fall which he'll sit in on, but I wasn't crazy about their pre-K program. Any suggestions?

For my 4 year old, I'm using the Home Education Curriculum: Kindergarten. I'm going to supplement it with OPGTTR and ETC plus some worksheets since she loves doing worksheets, but I'm pretty much following this curriculum. It's awesome! It requires VERY little prep work. I put each "assignment" into a big ziploc bag each day and she can do her work in whatever order she wants throughout the day....she loves it! We do 9 bags a day and usually 6 of them are from the curriculum and the others are things I came up with (like the worksheets or lacing cards, or flashcards, or something)

My son enjoyed the Rod and Staff preschool series. We also added a few Kumon books, Singapore Earlybird Math, and Click n Read phonics online.

He will still be a older Pre-Ker next year and I'm planning to add more read alouds to our schedule, possibly using Sonlight Prek or K, or Five in a Row. I'm also going to add some lapbooks from Homeschoolshare.com. I'm trying to decide if I should continue with Singapore Earlybird Math (which I really like) or switch to Rightstart Math A.

Hope that will give you some ideas.

We used Five in a Row, since it's designed for 4-8 year olds. We chose some of the easier activities and it was really nice. We may use it off and on for the next year or so when we need a break from our regular activities. It doesn't include phonics, but you can add it in if your child is ready.

Starfall.com, lots of classic picture books, the All About series of DVDs, and LeapFrog toys and videos were our favorites around here. He did go to preschool, but he learned much more from the things I just listed -- preschool was to provide him with opportunities for social interaction and practice.