Menu

Book A Week in 2009 * Week 26 Book 27 *

Today is the start of Week 26 in the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks and should have you starting book # 27. Which means --- Drum roll, please. The year is half over and we are halfway towards our goal of reading 52 books for the year. You all are doing a fantastic job. :)

You may post your reviews, thoughts, reactions to the books you've read here or on the 52 Books in 52 Weeks Blog.

Happy 4th of July everybody

I'm hopelessly behind but am further along than I would be if I hadn't been trying to keep up with this challenge, so all is not lost.

The last few books I read were Cold Sassy Tree and To Say Nothing of the Dog. Both were unforgettably enjoyable.

Now I'm reading Kristin Lavransdatter III: The Cross. I read the first two books using Archer's translation, and now I'm using the Nunnally translation. Tina Nunnally's translation is easier to understand than Archer's although the language Archer uses sounds more musical. Undset gives such a clear view into the human soul and I find these books to be more moving than any others I've ever read.

I've been reading. But nothing worth reporting on. Books that started off interestingly enough that I felt it was worth continuing, then finding out at the end that it wasn't. Aren't books supposed to have conclusions? They aren't supposed to just cut off without resolution, are they? I enjoyed the picture books I borrowed to read to the kids more! Two books by Frank Asch. So if you are looking for something to read to your tots that isn't "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" try that guy.

Maybe I'll have better luck this week, except the book I started seems kind of dumb because the dialogue is written in a far more formal style than anyone uses when they are talking to themselves.

Ok, that's enough. This isnt' supposed to be a rant thread, is it?

!!

Rosie

I am starting the 3rd book in the Southern Vampire series tonight. It is called Club Dead. I am enjoying these light and fun books. I also got The Language of God by Francis Collins.

I read Dear John by Nicholas Sparks this week. It reminded me of why I am not a Nicholas Sparks fan. :glare:

But Rosie, I've gotten a couple of good suggestions from you! At least I think it was you who reported reading Garden Spells and the Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I enjoyed both and look to find more good titles from you -- but no pressure:D

I just finished The Lost City of Z by David Grann. I listened to it while doing crochet and loved it, though every time my husband entered the room there would be some detailed and gross description of what bugs can do to a body in the jungles of the Amazon. He kept wondering what the heck I was listening to as it certainly was NOT Jane Austen!! It is an adventure story, but non-fiction. Actually 2 stories, that of the explorer Percy Fawcett who disappeared in the Amazon while searching for the city he dubbed "Z", and the story of David Gann's obsessive researching of the story and going into the Amazon. I'll bet the print version has photos and maps -- I had to study my atlas to clear up my mental picture of South America and the Amazon basin.

I'm also half way through The Good Earth and plan on re-reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince before the movie comes out.

I wrote a couple of reviews and book commentary in my blog, which is in my signature.

The last two books I read are:

#34 - Write It When I'm Gone: Remarkable Off-the-Record Conversations with Gerald R. Ford, by Thomas M. DeFrank

#35 - And the Shofar Blew, by Francine Rivers

Currently reading Beverly Lewis' latest, The Secret.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I read Dear John by Nicholas Sparks this week. It reminded me of why I am not a Nicholas Sparks fan. :glare:

I do not care for NS either. The writing is poor and the stories are just a cut above harlequins. However, he wrote a non-fiction, non-romance, book called 3 Weeks With My Brother that I enjoyed very much. His writing style was much better in that book and I found the story actually engaging.

I haven't been able to post an update because I haven't been able to read for pleasure. My cc summer session began the first of the month so I have been focused on textbooks and supplemental readings for my students; not to mention reading/grading their assignments and exams. I have also been pre-reading DS's curr. for fall and working on lesson plans.

I ma hoping to find some time for pleaure reading soon.

Recent reads bolded:

1. Nine Days a Queen

2. Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist

3. Driving Over Lemons

4. Father Arseny: A Cloud of Witnesses

5. Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future

6. Grandma's Wartime Kitchen: World War II and the way we cooked

7. Vanity Fair

8. Spiritual Counsels of Father John of Kronstadt

9. Les Miserables

10. Macy's, Gimbels and Me by Bernice Fitz-Gibbon

11. The Middle Ages by Morris Bishop

12. The Scarlet Letter

13. Our Hearts' True Home, Virginia Nieuwsma, ed.

14. Introducing the Orthodox Church by Anthony M. Coniaris

15. Model Behavior by Jay McInerny

16. Readings in Christianity, compiled by Robert E. Van Voorst

17. Married to a Catholic Priest by Mary Vincent Dally

18. Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive by Robert B. Cialdini

19. Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert

20. Gold Rush: A Literary Exploration by various authors

21. Navajo Silver: A Brief History of Navajo Silversmithing by Arthur Woodward

22. Baghdad-by-the-Bay by Herb Caen

23. Encore Provence by Peter Mayle

24. Finding My Way by Borghild Dahl

25. At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon

26. The Suez Canal by Gail Stewart

27. Unseen Warfare - classical spiritual work

28. A Concise History of Bolivia by Herbert Klein (put this one on hold for the time being)

29. In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms by Dr. Laura Schlessinger

30. Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie

31. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

32. New Mexico: A History of Four Centuries by Warren Beck

33. Emma by Jane Austen

34. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

35. Mrs. Pollifax and the Golden Triangle by Dorothy Gilman

36. Honeymoon with My Brother by Franz Wisner

37. Homeschooler's College Admissions Handbook by Cafi Cohen

38. Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart

39. Airs Above the Ground by Mary Stewart

40. The Stormy Petrel by Mary Stewart

41. Chang and Eng by Darin Strauss

42. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

43. The Unexpected Guest by Agatha Christie

44. Lost Horizon by James Hilton

45. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

46. Five Thousand Years of Glass, ed. Hugh Tait

47. Poems of Home and Travel by Bayard Taylor

48. Highway 99, A Literary Journey through California's Central Valley, various authors (still reading, this is turning out to be not as interesting as I thought it would be).

49. Memoirs of a Midget by Walter de la Mare (this one is quite interesting, I'm really enjoying it so far)

50. Inn of the Sixth Happiness by Alan Burgess (just started this one, liking it a lot)