Menu

Reading Fluency (Eary Reader)

kmacnchs

I started OPG when my dd was 2. One year later, we are on lesson 113 but she still isn't reading fluently. She can zoom through the first set of Bob books but I was thinking that her reading would need to go along with what she is learning (long vowels). The Bob books with long vowels are too long and take us about 2-3 days to get through (she reads to me 30 min/day) because she still sounds out most words. He gets the phonics completely, but the fluency has not come yet. I hear it just takes time and practice but my question is...should I drop her down to "her level" reading? I know you will say "yes" but then I am afraid she will forget what she just learned...suggestions? I've never taught anyone to read before so I don't really know what to expect.

I think you need to figure out where the

Frustration level

Instructional Level

and the independent level are for your child.

Independent books and passages are ones that can be read through fairly easily and the child comprehends. Does not need help with most words nor with comprehension.

Instructional level -- child is learning skills, a bit of a challenge but not overwhelming. Can explain a lot of what is going on in the story with some assistance. Teacher/parent/tutor doing some talking but not a lot. This is where you want to be working with your daughter.

Frustration -- child needs a lot of help getting through the material either due to a lack of comprehension and/or fluency. Teacher/parent/tutor doing most of the talking rather than listening to the child read and tell about the story.

I can't tell where you are but if you are close to frustration level it will make it hard to make progress. Your daughter should be reading some independently and working with you on instructional level.

If you have to back up a bit, that's okay.

Check out these free printable books http://www.teacherweb.com/CA/PomeloDriveElementary/Mrssakamoto/printap2.stm

If you like these, you can continue on with the series from http://www.3rsplus.com'>http://www.3rsplus.com'>http://www.3rsplus.com'>http://www.3rsplus.com This is the program my sister used to teach her kids to read---her son who is 5 is now reading at a jr. high level or above.

Look around the http://www.3rsplus.com site for lots of great ideas and helps, free downloads, printable stuff, etc.

There is nothing wrong with reading words separately instead of reading whole books. It can take a while for reading to click. We worked on word building (spelling) and reading one word at a time for at least 9 months before dd started reading fluently, and this was starting with an almost 4-year-old. If she is doing fine with the actual words you can keep going. Play games with the words for practice instead of reading books or sentences, if this is frustrating for her. Good luck!

Here are some things that have worked for us regarding reading fluency -

do a lot of easy reading, just below instructional level

do repeated readings at instructional level, of the same material, 3-4 times and then move on

tape a story at a little bit slower pace, that is at their instructional level and have them read along, out loud, with the story

work on phonics rules for reading and spelling (and this is really the key, otherwise the rest of it just turns into sight reading)

do word sorts - make some cards with words using the phonetic rules they are working on and have them sort the cards by sound, beginning sounds, ending sounds, vowel sounds, digraphs, etc. and make sure they pronounce the word out loud, not just look for the letter

partner read books above their instruction level - you read a sentence, they read a sentence, you read a sentence, etc.

Here are some things that have worked for us regarding reading fluency -

do a lot of easy reading, just below instructional level

do repeated readings at instructional level, of the same material, 3-4 times and then move on

tape a story at a little bit slower pace, that is at their instructional level and have them read along, out loud, with the story.

:iagree:

These are great ways to increase fluency. Repeated readings don't have to be incredibly long but can yield tremendous results. You don't even have to use the entire selection for repeated readings. Five minutes a day working on repeated readings can make a tremendous difference.

Tori

IMO, the best thing you can do is read TO your child. At this point they understand that those little symbols on the page translate to words. Find great picture books, the ones designed to be read TO your child but with vocabulary above what they could read independantly. Pick up great chapter books that are high-interest. Charlotte's Web was a hit with Yacko & Wacko at 3 1/2 & 5; Dot is currently enjoying The Wizard of Oz, she'll be 6 in October.

I started OPG when my dd was 2. One year later, we are on lesson 113 but she still isn't reading fluently. She can zoom through the first set of Bob books but I was thinking that her reading would need to go along with what she is learning (long vowels). The Bob books with long vowels are too long and take us about 2-3 days to get through (she reads to me 30 min/day) because she still sounds out most words. He gets the phonics completely, but the fluency has not come yet. I hear it just takes time and practice but my question is...should I drop her down to "her level" reading? I know you will say "yes" but then I am afraid she will forget what she just learned...suggestions? I've never taught anyone to read before so I don't really know what to expect.

I'd back way off. She just doesn't need intensive reading instruction now. As long as she's enjoying herself, I'd continue but in a very gentle fun way. You just don't need to be worrying about fluency now.

I could read when I was 2.

I was not taught I just did it. I think it was a combination of a certain amount of visual logic combined with a great visual memory, but the biggest part was that my parents and brothers read to me all the time. I also had an internal drive to do it, as no one ever sat down and taught me a thing.

I think that starting a formal reading program at 2 is a bit odd, personally, but you did it, so.... there you go... I would also say that if she isn't reading fluently after a year, she might not have been ready. But really, how do I know?

I would chime in with the backing off and do the fun reading with/ to your child. Why skip that part? I still sit and read to my 9 & 10 year olds all the time. It is a wonderful family activity.

A thing to consider also is that if your kid really takes off in reading, it becomes very difficult to find appropriate reading material. If they are advanced readers, but still young... it is pretty hard to find good books. However, you should be able to satisfy that with some classic books, but they might bore the kids. It is a sticky wicket.

I know that there are many good people on this list with lots of great suggestions. I just wanted to add mine.

Korin

I'm surprised I have a voice with all of the reading I do throughout the day...my dds race each other to see who can get me a book the fastest (not sure why because all I do is alternate). I am so glad when dh gets home so he can take a turn!

She's reading GREAT for a three year old. But, she's *three.* Just three. Still very, very little. This is a marathon not a race. If I were you, I would back way off. Keep letting her practice reading books at her independent level when she wants to. Other than that, just read TO her a lot. She won't forget what she learned.

The original format of these books are in the public domain. I See Sam .com, 3rsplus and some others have added to/slightly modified the books and copyrighted their versions but the original version was funded by a government grant.

I don't have my original (printed in the early 70s) copies right in front of me but they do say right in the front that as of 1977 (or somewhere close to that) they would be in the public domain.

I don't want to violate any copyrights so if you can show me differently, I will gladly stop sharing the link.

That's copyright violation!

Those are not free: link.

Go to page 3 of this printable book and you can see the copyright information that says that as of Dec. 31, 1977 it is in the public domain.
No, that is not correct. The current copyright date of the materials is 2003. Feel free to check with the publisher on that. Though the creators thought they would enter public domain at the end of 1977, copyright law changed before that happened. The statement they made in that edition does not negate the extension of the copyright that was ultimately granted.

Link to chart with details regarding when items pass into public domain: here. The original copyright date of these materials was 1971-72, which means they were automatically granted a 67 year extension at the end of 1977.

Edited to add: partial funding from the government does not void the copyright extension.

Edited by jplain