Menu

What do your young kids do for parent birthdays?

DD is very big into picking out flowers or a balloon, and a card. Sometimes she insists there be cake even when the adults don't care.

She makes cards frequently; getting to buy one for someone is a special thing to her.

My kids draw a picture for Dad. It's personal, it's immediate, and I don't have to drag them through the store saying things like, "Well, honey, I think Daddy already gets to play with your Legos," and " Hmmm, sweetie, an elephant clock is an interesting idea, but I think Daddy already has a clock in his office." (Either that or dh is gifted with Legos or a polka-dotted elephant clock for his birthday. Heh.)

Cat

I take the younger kids shopping for a small gift, and the bigger ones buy their own. We have a family dinner, go around the table with each person telling what they appreciate about him (we do this for all birthdays around here), then open presents and have cake birthday cake. The girls usually help make the cake.