Menu

Workbox System

Marsha

You would put it on the board under group/together time. That stuff can be done in the morning or after lunch. It's wrapped in with Bible, Read-Alouds (for all), Art etc. At least that's the way I understood it from reading the manual:) It does however go on their schedule strip.

Edited by Pongo

I have a question on combined curriculum.

What if the same book is read aloud for all children.

What would you put in their envelope or box?

No. I only put independent work in my kids' workboxes. We have together/group time first, and then I have them do their workboxes.

Merry :-)

But what if they don't reach #3 at the same time?

In my case my ds is a fast little worker, and if I didn't do it as a group time either in the morning or after lunch with everyone starting together, he would have to either skip that number and work on the next one until his ds is ready. In the book says you should not let them skip or have them idle. How do you synchronize them, because sometimes I am not ready in the morning and it would be nice to have them start together before lunch:)

Or you could have them do the together things after lunch. That's what we do w/o the work box system. It's usually the fun stuff, too, like SOTW. Mornings are for individual work as my kids work at dramatically different paces even if they're working on the same material. Plus, I'm not ready to do together stuff w/them first thing in the a.m.

Laura

In the book she talks about having "group time," and that you can schedule it whenever (she didn't put it in a box). So, if you want to have group time around 10 am, the kids just stop wherever they are, even mid-box, and then pick back up where they left off.

I like group time first though so I don't have this issue too much. I do have it a bit because after we do read-alouds together, I do a one on one tutoring time with each of them--so I have one do things that they wouldn't mind having interrupted while I work with the other. I have had one skip that tutoring box to work on other things if I went long with the other. Also, if I finish with one & the other is in the middle of something, I do chores until the other finishes, then do that child's one on one.

It can take some tweaking to figure out how to make things work--maybe something you were doing before you started workboxes will help you find the solution? I'm big on not totally changing everything about how you school--I've seen people turn their school upside down to do workboxes & then give up because it was too much change. I kept a lot the same & just changed a few things.

Merry :-)

Some links for you :-)...

My Workboxes (we use 8 drawers, and we use the velcro numbers to show progress--their drawers aren't always empty when they're done because my kids put some things back in the drawers--they turn in work, but things like their Bibles, math rulers, mini office etc... go back to the drawers--pics & explanations in the link.)

This blog is very informative & shows more of the process--how to use schedule strips etc... with lots of pictures. Her system was pretty much "by the book." However, she changed her school so much that it didn't end up working out for her. Here's her update.

Here's a blog that shows a "Do It Door" which is this mom's modified version of workboxes applied to chores for her kids and herself.

Hope this gives you some ideas! Merry :-)