Menu

Fine. Workboxes WON'T work for me....

But I think this will.

What do you think?

http://truevineherbs.wordpress.com/

Into the file folders at night. Work on them the next day. Completed work goes into file folders. Mom checks and does the "reload" just like in workboxes. Checked work goes into large individual binder with the same tabs for preservation and to meet state record guidelines.

No, there are no numbers. But all the olders have Daily Assignment sheets with check-off boxes.

Days to the "First" day? 21 is the plan as of right now. This may get pushed back one week depending on the date of my impending surgery. But I FEEL the progress, lol. :lol:

Hey, you aren't the only one. I won't even touch workboxes because of the daily work involved in filling them. Anything that requires me to daily planning would be a disaster.

Instead, I spend time at the beginning of each year filing the entire year's work into weekly folders. The only prep time I have during the school year is pulling the current week's folder each Monday and loading each kid's binder. They work from their binder through the week...independently unless it is a subject I've chosen to do together. At the end of the week, I pull their work, grade it, go over any missed problems, and stick it back into the weekly file I pulled it from.

LOL! I NEED (desperately) the daily planning.

I'm "one of those people" who is just NOT naturally organized. But I'm married to someone who is... And to someone who really likes to know that his kids are really getting school done everyday. And it happens to be the same guy. So this whole organization thing very much soothes him, and well, I REALLY like him (hence the 1,000,000 children) so I organized, lol.

The Target ones? Yeah, if you go to the ORGANIZATION area, you'll find ones with clear lids and black ones - they are $10.39. If you go over to the side aisle where there are decorative cloth "crates" then you'll find these color coordinated ones for $4.99. Explain, please, the cost difference? I was thrilled at the price though!

To top it all off I went to Half Price books today and found TWELVE books off of my Tapestry list that I didn't have. This week has definitely had its perks!

Looks great!

I am going to try workboxes to when we start on the 27th of July but I didn't have room for 3 racks full of shoeboxes so I went with the drawers that many have recommended. We'll see how it all works. Best of luck to you and your modified "workbox" system.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, you aren't the only one. I won't even touch workboxes because of the daily work involved in filling them. Anything that requires me to daily planning would be a disaster.

Instead, I spend time at the beginning of each year filing the entire year's work into weekly folders. The only prep time I have during the school year is pulling the current week's folder each Monday and loading each kid's binder. They work from their binder through the week...independently unless it is a subject I've chosen to do together. At the end of the week, I pull their work, grade it, go over any missed problems, and stick it back into the weekly file I pulled it from.

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone I told you this, but you can make the workbox system work for you by filling for the week, month, or term! I have directions and a checklist for the month right in the box. Sticky notes with a quick instruction would work too. I only have 2 "Surprise Me!" boxes that I can change up every day with different fun things that I have laying around the house. Also, you could use 6, 8, or even 10 boxes. If you like the idea, sometimes you have to "think OUTSIDE the box." :D

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone I told you this, but you can make the workbox system work for you by filling for the week, month, or term! I have directions and a checklist for the month right in the box. Sticky notes with a quick instruction would work too. I only have 2 "Surprise Me!" boxes that I can change up every day with different fun things that I have laying around the house. Also, you could use 6, 8, or even 10 boxes. If you like the idea, sometimes you have to "think OUTSIDE the box." :D

Oooohhhh, SO smart!!! I love that idea. Thank you! (I'm horrible at thinking outside the box in general :rolleyes:)

LOL! Thinking outside the workbox. ;)

Honestly, the idea of even having 8 boxes per child is exhausting. I figure it this way:

I have roughly 12 files for Ana & Christian. I could combine writing, dictation, and grammar under one "box" but that'd have to be a heavyweight box. :D

So, condensing to 12 for those two, eight for Becca and Lizzie and only four for Tim and Abigail, I'm still using 48 boxes. I'll just be flat out honest when I say, I'm not a CLEAN enough person for that. :P It's true. I admit it. They'll use them to feed the goats or the bunnies or something. They'll store markers in them. They'll fill them with chips and salsa. Fileboxes are self preservation. They in no way, shape, or form appear to be something that can be filled with anything edible.

LOL! Thinking outside the workbox. ;)

Honestly, the idea of even having 8 boxes per child is exhausting. I figure it this way:

I have roughly 12 files for Ana & Christian. I could combine writing, dictation, and grammar under one "box" but that'd have to be a heavyweight box. :D

So, condensing to 12 for those two, eight for Becca and Lizzie and only four for Tim and Abigail, I'm still using 48 boxes. I'll just be flat out honest when I say, I'm not a CLEAN enough person for that. :P It's true. I admit it. They'll use them to feed the goats or the bunnies or something. They'll store markers in them. They'll fill them with chips and salsa. Fileboxes are self preservation. They in no way, shape, or form appear to be something that can be filled with anything edible.

:lol:I'm starting to rethink workboxes just because of this. I have ours out but we haven't even started school yet so they are supposed to be empty. My dd has already filled hers with an abundance of art supplies, and my youngest decided his was a good place to put the pb&j that he was "saving" for another day :scared: My oldest asked me if it was such a good idea and couldn't he just have a check list like the last 2 years.

So now I'm starting to think I have a bunch of new storage drawers.:001_huh: