Menu

Homeschooling on a budget question........

Remember my American History question from earlier this week?

Well, I went to the homeschool store and got (used, with trade in credit) Beautiful Feet's Early American History, A Literature Approach for Primary and Early American and World History for Junior High.

Each come with a need book list. BF, of course, has discounted bundles - still very spendy. Only one "hit" on Vegsource. Ebay has some, still spendy.

I tried the Homeschool Store and a used bookstore. Nothing.

Up front cost for bundles are spendy. But the stretched out cost of shipping over the course of time is likely (I think, I could be wrong) to be much more.

So, my question is when you are going to use a curriculum involving a list of books (and I'll need 2 copies of the JR. High list if not the primary), how do you fill that in the most budget friendly way?

I use Sonlight, so I am always needing books, books, and more books.

Thankfully I find about 2/3 of them in local libraries (I have access to two county systems and a college library) or borrowed from friends.

The others I buy used. I keep a list and watch...

You can go with Paperback bookswap--at least the first 3 or 4 are free.

I also make extensive use of the library--and perhaps you could let dc use the same book, but assign reading time. If one has from 9-12 to read it, and the other from 12-3 (or whatever), could you just use one copy?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Most of the books from Beautiful Feet's Early American History are in the library, except for maybe the Genevieve Foster ones. Those I would purchase anyway. Everything else I would go library or substitute.

You can go with Paperback bookswap--at least the first 3 or 4 are free.

I also make extensive use of the library--and perhaps you could let dc use the same book, but assign reading time. If one has from 9-12 to read it, and the other from 12-3 (or whatever), could you just use one copy?

That's "doable" but 2 of my students don't live with me. ;)

Are there any libraries near you that have book sales or good thrift stores?

Yes, but the chances of these books being included are slim. I do, however, use them extensively for my other books.

Powell's is your friend.

Powell's? Link?

Joanne,

Are you still in the Katy area? Katy Budget Books can order for you or I bet they may even have most of what you need. It has been to long since I have been but they do have a major sale twice a year. Also see if they will hold books fro you as they come in to the store.

Melissa

This store is small, but stuffed with books. I never see what I want online, so I usually give them a call; they are great about searching the stacks for me.

Even though I only live 45 minutes away, I often have them mail me my order. I figure with the price of gas and the latte I'd inevitably get, I'm probably saving money!

One of the employees can come across a bit gruff, but she is actually pretty helpful.

Another option is to search http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page.

When we first started homeschooling, it seemed relatively inexpensive; now, not so much!:o

http://www.hspbooks.com/