Menu

I'm utterly burnt out. Someone compare these L.A. programs please.......

BlsdMama

Switching to TOG & I am sick of Rod & Staff. I think it's a great, rock solid program, but honestly? I want something a little less painful, involved, and more based on IRL usage please.

Seeing the recommendations out there that normally get paired with Tapestry, I'm seeing three overall.

Shurley Grammar

Daily Grams

Easy Grammar

Compare and contrast? Likes or dislikes? Personal experiences, thoughts, wisdom?

I'm listening!

Daily grams is a supplement. It is 1 or 2 pages per day (sorry, can't remember which) and reviews major topics.

Easy Grammar is a daily grammar program that uses Daily Grams for review purposes. EG focuses on prepositions first. Eliminate the prepositional phrase first, then move on to identifying the other sentence components. They do a really good job teaching prepositions imho.

Shurley, I have never used. I hear from friends who do use it, that it is rigorous, teacher intensive and very, very good. But, again, I have not personally used it, so I cannot give you a review. Others here have and I hope will review for you.

HTH!

Shurley English is great...if you only do one year! (IMHO) Once my kids had the jingles and Q&A flows down they didn't need to do it again. They routinely apply what they learned there to everything else we do that requires grammar. If you use it for writing you may need more than one year, but the grammar doesn't change a whole lot between the 4th -7th levels.

We alternate a year of Easy Grammar with a year (or so) of Daily Grams. I really liked Easy Grammar although I did make my own reviews that were given on Fridays. I added diagramming in with the books and felt that my dc got a solid grasp of grammar. I looked at Shurley several times yet I know myself and the jingles and repetition would make me crazy!!

From what I have heard, I would NOT attempt Shurley if I was experiencing burn out. LOL. Easy Grammar sounds easy doesn’t it? I will have to try it one of these days with my kids. If your student already has a solid foundation from using R&S, I wouldn’t worry about possibly making a mistake by using Easy Grammar or any other program. Daily Grams is an excellent supplement to whatever you choose.

I am trying out Winston Basic with my fifth grader this year. Next year we might go for Easy Grammar, who knows.

I hope you make the right choice for your family!

:)

Not so much burned out from SCHOOL... Burnt out from decisions. I'm so exhausted from comparing this curriculum to that curriculum to X curriculum I could puke.

I'm grateful, I am. Just think thirty years ago? NO options. But I'm wiped out from just plain THINKING!

We use Easy Grammar and Daily Grams both. In the morning Daily Grams is done independently and we work on Easy Grammar together later in the morning.

I feel this is a solid grammar program. It is definitely painless. There is no prep time and it can be done quickly each day. Diagraming could easlily be added to this if you choose.

Amy