Menu

Can I get opinions on LLATL?

My friend and I are both considering this for the fall for our upcoming 1st graders. Any thoughts? Pros and Cons please.

This will be for a first grader. His phonics are very strong, his reading is coming along very well. His handwriting is coming so nicely (we have moved through a K program and are halfway through a 1st grade handwriting program) that we weren't going to do a handwriting program next year.

Thanks.

LLATL Blue is very much a learn to read program. It has some italic handwriting and very basic grammar, but its focus is phonics and reading. LLATL Blue spends 2 weeks on reading readiness, 17 weeks on CVC words, 5 weeks on consonant blends and digraphs and 12 weeks on long vowels. We went through the first 19 weeks in 9 weeks as review and extra practice and, IMHO, any child that's already done a K phonics/reading program will go through that part quickly. We did spend about 4 weeks on consonant blends and I'm planning to go through long vowels in the scheduled 12 weeks. We combine LLATL with ETC and Pathway readers.

If you're looking for grammar, copywork, narration, poetry, etc. I'd look at First Language Lessons combined with Writing With Ease 1. I'm planning to use this with ds and, possibly, dd next year. That works for us because of his fine motor delays, but it also looks pretty meaty even for second grade, IMHO. Another gentler alternative is Sandi Queen's Language Lessons for the Very Young. It has copywork (although the layout is lacking compared to the WWE samples), narration, poetry, and some grammar.

Another possibility if you want to combine reading and the rest of LA is LLATL Red. Look at the samples at:

http://www.commonsensepress.com/red.htm

If your child is reading well, but needs some more practice, this may work well for you.

I have not used the 1st grade (Blue program). This year I am using the 5th grade (Purple) for my 5th grader after years of using A Beka. She likes it very much but I do believe she could easily have used one grade level up.

I am planning to use the Red program-2nd grade level for my youngest dd next year. She, too, is strong in the phonics department and although she will be considered 1st grade, I am going to go one year ahead for her. I recommend looking at the Red program since your ds is doing so well in phonics and handwriting. The Blue program would be more phonics instruction than he would probably need.

LLATL is a very good, well integrated language program in my opinion but if you have a child who is strong in those areas I would consider bumping them up. :)

HTH!

I would also recommend using the Red. We have used several levels of LLATL in the past with my older children. The only level we didn't like with the British Gold. The main thing is that you should always use one level above where your child would place using another curriculum.

With my youngest child I am pretty much pulled between PLL, QueensLL, and LLATL. Who knows I may just do a combo. I have been known to do that! :D

I used the yellow one for a little bit with my DD then 6 and a strong reader. It was just too light for us. I like the integration, but I really felt like she would benefit from some repetition at that age. We use R&S Grammar 2 - do it orally - and it takes about 8 minutes a day. She loves it and it's really sticking with her. For comprehension we do R&S Reading 2 (we read the stories and then answer some of the questions). When we recently hit section 5 of 5 I had her drop the question part and we do Real World Reading Comprehension. I can't remember who makes that product but it's really fun - read an ad or a menu or a classified, and answer questions. Some are multiple choice, some written. It's really fun. We also do copywork as a part of our AWANA practice or for history.

We used the Red, Yellow and Orange books here. My children and I loved the living books. It was such an enjoyable, well planned out program and very easy follow. My dd was often able to do the weeks lessons in less than five days. This allowed us to have Fridays free for nature studies, library trips and afternoons in the park.

On a whole my experience with the program was very positive. I never felt stressed or behind while using LLATL. The lessons were complete, our days planned and they got the work done daily. There was lots of academic progress without a lot of stress, and there was ample time for our other lessons and interests.