Menu

Prayer Request for My Dh this Father's Day

If you pray, would you please pray for my dh? He is very discouraged right now. I think he feels trapped in his teaching job and our location(that's another story in itself). With the economy, schools are cutting back as well. He's discouraged about the money he makes as well. They would only count 4 years of his prior 16 years experience toward his payscale when he started.

Here's the deal. He worked in private Christian schools for many years. The school he was at here merged with another, which did away with his position. He went to work in one of the public high schools here because he didn't want to move the kids (we'd only been here 2 years when this happened).

It is a very difficult school to work in. About 70% of the kids are from poor, mostly single parent households. Their behavior is pitiful, as well as their academics. He really can't teach the way he wants to do so, mainly because of the behavior and self control issues. If a kid asks a question in class, there's always someone muttering to stop doing that. The students discourage the others from learning. You can discipline them for it, but it's all ready out there.

He isn't gifted certified so he gets the bottom of the barrel. He applied for the gifted program, but they've given the positions to become certified to 2 first year teachers. That was very discouraging to him. He knows these teachers shirk some of their responsibilities. He says he keeps order in his class, tries to offer a variety of teaching methods, always does his duty, is where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there, yet he isn't given the chance to do the certification.

He really needs his passion for teaching revived. He once loved it. He wants to make a difference in the world, but so many kids there just shut down and won't even let him.

Please pray!

I can totally relate to what you re going through. My dh taught in boarding schools for 9 years after having done some college teaching. He was very discouraged by the expectations of the parents and administration on the faculty and by the kids attitudes towards learning. And, this was in high priced private schools. He began to hate teaching. During his last year we decided that his mental health and that of his family really could not take another year, so he did not sign his contract for the next school year (08/09).

Exactly one year ago yesterday, we bought a house in a town where we thought we would be happy and where the cost of living was not outrageous. When our savings started to run out, he took a job waiting tables at Outback. Then he took a job waiting tables at a country club and now is their Banquet Captain. He needed a job that he didn't take home with him every night and these fit the bill.

I do have income from my business (Usborne) so that helps as he has not totally replaced his prior income. However, I would much rather have things tighter here financially than continue to have him live a miserable life because of his job. I suspect that in a few years he will get a hankering to get back to teaching, but maybe not.

This is probably much more information that you want to know. I only wanted to let you know how we dealt with a similar problem and that considering options outside of teaching might just be what he needs in order to regain that passion.

Hugs to you and your dh.

Oh that is a difficult situation. :( I will pray for your dh that God will give him wisdom and direction in this situation. I'm sure he is very concerned for you all as well and doesn't want to make a wrong move. I will pray that God gives Him clear direction and a peace in his heart. God bless you all. :grouphug:

Thanks to everyone for praying!

:grouphug: - BTDT - different circumstances but similar thoughts, etc. - any chance your dh could switch over to a community college?

He does have a master's degree, but it's in political science/history. He's tried in the past to do that, but never had much luck since he doesn't have a more advance degree than that. We only have a technical college here in town.

If you pray, would you please pray for my dh? He is very discouraged right now. I think he feels trapped in his teaching job and our location(that's another story in itself). With the economy, schools are cutting back as well. He's discouraged about the money he makes as well. They would only count 4 years of his prior 16 years experience toward his payscale when he started.

Here's the deal. He worked in private Christian schools for many years. The school he was at here merged with another, which did away with his position. He went to work in one of the public high schools here because he didn't want to move the kids (we'd only been here 2 years when this happened).

It is a very difficult school to work in. About 70% of the kids are from poor, mostly single parent households. Their behavior is pitiful, as well as their academics. He really can't teach the way he wants to do so, mainly because of the behavior and self control issues. If a kid asks a question in class, there's always someone muttering to stop doing that. The students discourage the others from learning. You can discipline them for it, but it's all ready out there.

He isn't gifted certified so he gets the bottom of the barrel. He applied for the gifted program, but they've given the positions to become certified to 2 first year teachers. That was very discouraging to him. He knows these teachers shirk some of their responsibilities. He says he keeps order in his class, tries to offer a variety of teaching methods, always does his duty, is where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there, yet he isn't given the chance to do the certification.

He really needs his passion for teaching revived. He once loved it. He wants to make a difference in the world, but so many kids there just shut down and won't even let him.

Please pray!

I will pray for your dh. I know how it is to become discouraged about something for which you had such high hopes in the beginning.