Menu

The real value of this board...

I wanted to tell you all about a unique experience that has shown the hidden value of this board.

Over the past month and then escalating this week I have had some issues with my ds 5.5 that have caused me much concern. He started having some intense behavioral issues that I just did not feel equiped to handle. I was/am concerned that it may be a medical situation and felt the necesity to make a doctor's appointment. I have had concerns about by ds from infancy and started trying to recall all of the events over the years that I felt like would help medical professionals. But, my mind was blank.

Well, I logged on last night and saw a PM in my box from 16 months ago from someone who had responded to a thread I had started about my son. I had completely forgotten about it. I tracked down that thread and realized/recalled that my son had the exact same cycle 16 months ago. The details there and in some PM's back and forth will be extremely valuable in helping us to get a proper diagnosis. At that time (16 mos) ago things just slowly improved and I never made an appointment, now I know not to put it off any longer. This may really make a difference in his life.

Have any of you had unique ways in which this board has been a blessing?

Laurel T.

Have any of you had unique ways in which this board has been a blessing?

Laurel T.

Not so dramatic, but I have found parenting a unique challenge. I am used to hoeing my own row in my personal life, and having a bevy of colleagues in my professional life, but I have found parenting/hs something so new I need advice and ideas. However, I had no "colleagues" to consult.

Now I do.:D

Not so dramatic, but I have found parenting a unique challenge. I am used to hoeing my own row in my personal life, and having a bevy of colleagues in my professional life, but I have found parenting/hs something so new I need advice and ideas. However, I had no "colleagues" to consult.

Now I do.:D

:iagree:

Also, the occasional funny, like finding "The real value of this board..." "carpal tunnel" in the list is always good for a smile, too. :D

In a word, validation.

There have been many times when I have had strong emotions or opinions, yet no place to float them IRL, for whatever reason (too close to home, only other hs'ing moms would understand, etc). After bouncing thoughts on the boards, I just can't count the number of times I've uttered the words, "So I'm NOT crazy after all...!!!" It is reassuring.

Plus, y'all are so darn funny! Wit and common sense abound. Not to mention all the curriculum ideas and been-there-done-that experiences shared by those whose kids are older. Priceless.

In a word, validation.

There have been many times when I have had strong emotions or opinions, yet no place to float them IRL, for whatever reason (too close to home, only other hs'ing moms would understand, etc). After bouncing thoughts on the boards, I just can't count the number of times I've uttered the words, "So I'm NOT crazy after all...!!!" It is reassuring.

Plus, y'all are so darn funny! Wit and common sense abound. Not to mention all the curriculum ideas and been-there-done-that experiences shared by those whose kids are older. Priceless.

:iagree: Especially the highlighted part!

In a word, validation.

:iagree::iagree: I stumbled in here quite accidentally because I was buying a used curriculum set that was listed here. I had no idea these boards even existed!! I'm so happy to have found them. :)

I can honestly say I had a budget of $0 to purchase for the upcoming school year. By zero - I mean nada, zilcho, none, zero, empty hat, nothingness. I have been able to sell and buy used and have come up with everything I need for school next year. My mom is gifting me one thing, otherwise, provided by my home school community either via sale or purchase. Thanks everyone! The sharing has made a differnce in our lives.