Menu

S/O about negative homeschooling articles

What do you learn about yourself while reading them? Some of them are irritating, some of them are laughable, and every once in a while I tend to see myself in one of their generalizations.

I think about the qualifications to teach and that one probably gets me the most. I don't have a college degree and I've been out of school for 25 years. However, I know what I know, know what I can learn along the way, and realize there are some subjects that I will have to outsource in the future. I have no desire to obtain a degree but I've never stopped learning. Maybe it's because that is the one area that my family tends to pick out and pick on, in very subtle ways. I guess it's a gut check when reading those articles so I'll continue to pick curriculum that is the best fit for my son's education, not just the easiest for me to teach.

Does anyone else take pause while reading them to make sure you're not the negative impression?

I had an ed degree and it is not all the public "cracks" it up to be. My biggest thoughts when reading the articles are:

Schools are not the best place to "socialize" my dc. I would rather socialize them for shorter periods of time in more controlled environments until I feel they can handle freer environments. Meaning-the older they get the larger a group with less adults. I would rather my 5 yo go to a 1 hour class with 10 children than be in a class with 20-25 kids all day long. On the other hand my 15 yo can handle 20-30, kids with one teacher, all day long.

My dc need some sort of corporative learning. Not for socialization, but because it is a different type of learning experience that some children thrive on.

I do think PS is best for some people. I don't think hs'ing is for everyone and I wish the public would understand that I'm not trying to slam their choice for ps.

My eldest dd is in ps. She hates it, but she know she it will give her a better chance getting into the Governors School of the Arts. If she doesn't make the school, she has told me she wants to hs. She is very, very social and still want to come home. I honestly thought she would love ps and never want to hs again. Boy, was I wrong!

These types of articles lead me to believe that people hate and fear the unknown.

I know what you mean...I think reading those articles, my tendency is to respond by saying, "That's not true--I'm well-educated and organized and my kids are angels and....". I am so far from the ideal homeschooler that I have in mind. I have to remind myself that I am giving my kids the best education available to them.

Mostly I just get angry when I read those articles that some people will actually take them seriously--either as homeschoolers, and lose their confidence, or as anti-homeschoolers, and receive further validation for their opinions.

I used to be the person in Rosy's post who would lose confidence and swear that at the end of the year I was going to put my kids in school because I struggle to be organized (I do it, but it's a struggle). My kids are all very shy (so of course that means i'm failing with providing them socialization), but they have no qualms about playing their instruments and performing at Church. I don't have alot of money to outsource classes or pay for music lessons, they are self taught using DVD's and the internet and they right alot of their own music. I love them and do my best to provide as many opportunities as I possible can and I think that's the most we can do.

Paula, your post is interesting becasue my dh and I have 5 graduate degrees between us and our family picks and picks on us for it!! - It's always something! :001_smile:

I don't generally bother with the articles. I am homeschooling because it is part of a proactive vision that can be best summed up in that we are creating a beautiful family culture. I know many homeschoolers (at least did before it became more mainstream) who homeschool in reaction to: crimes, drugs, bad test scores, lack of values, lack of religious tolerance, etc.etc. We are homeschooling because we have a vision for our children, our family, our grandchildren and it can't imparted or obtained through a lock-step, etc.etc. educational system.

Socialization discussions always make me laugh. If you've lived in any type of society you've been socialized- ferral children are socialized, government school children are socialized, my kids are socialized, just not in an expected way.

The other argument that always makes me laugh is that we aren't living in the "real world." Like my world is plastic, or fake. I've heard that I need to have my 6 year old go to kindergarten so that she knows how to handle teasing and bullying in "real" life. My psychologist dh has had suicidal 12 year olds in his office, thoroughly public schooled who can't handle the teasing and would rather die than face it any more.They're socialized, all right, and in the "real world" no less.

I'm sure that we fit some of the sterotypes. We certainly challenge others:001_smile:

Edited by laughing lioness

I have had my share of failings over 13 years of homeschooling... But when my children were enrolled in public school (some of them still are) I am very happy to know that my homeschooled children are doing and learning FAR MORE than the public school children... this actually applies mostly to the middle school in my area... the elementary classes have done fairly well with accomplishing teaching many subjects... but then, my elementary students also are not spelling at grade level or mastering their basic math facts (they do algebraic expressions instead... but NOT knowing the facts, they are very disabled!!). When it comes to the middle school, there are so many times they have movie days after tests... projects for their subjects, but days "off" when they are due... very little homework (for the basic classes)... I KNOW that my homeschool kids do far more school work than their peers. This doesn't mean I am perfect... but I am totally capable...

I think the things that push our buttons, make us angry or upset, etc. are the ones that mirror most closely how we are judging and speaking to ourselves. So when I read or hear something that evokes a strong emotional charge within me, I give thanks for it and look at how my internal dialog might be improved. :)

I do, and then I kick myself because I love to write, and I love to write about things I'm passionate about. But for some reason, I NEVER write an rebuttal. Even just to post on a blog. I wonder where all the homeschoolers are? How do we get our voices heard? How do we get published? I know for a fact that many of us can write better than these so called journalists!

And while I do take offense to alot of what they write, Usually, I do take a quick inventory of their complaints to see if there's anything I should change.

I am homeschooling because it is part of a proactive vision that can be best summed up in that we are creating a beautiful family culture. I know many homeschoolers (at least did before it became more mainstream) who homeschool in reaction to: crimes, drugs, bad test scores, lack of values, lack of religious tolerance, etc.etc. We are homeschooling because we have a vision for our children, our family, our grandchildren

That's truly lovely. Thank you. I would like to embrace this approach.

Personally, I would like to people to note the difference between being "socialized" and having social skills. I also hate the word "servicing" unless it involves mechanics or those I'll term 'ladies of the night,' yet many companies seem to say this instead of "serve."

The other argument that always makes me laugh is that we aren't living in the "real world." Like my world is plastic, or fake. I've heard that I need to have my 6 year old go to kindergarten so that she knows how to handle teasing and bullying in "real" life. My psychologist dh has had suicidal 12 year olds in his office, thoroughly public schooled who can't handle the teasing and would rather die than face it any more.They're socialized, all right, and in the "real world" no less.

I'm sure that we fit some of the sterotypes. We certainly challenge others:001_smile:

My thoughts exactly. I work in our ps (high school). It's the main reason we decided to homeschool when our oldest reached that level. In hindsight, I think we should have pulled out about 7th grade, however, my boys have done just fine the way it worked out. Mine weren't the ones being bullied, etc, either. I merely didn't want them 'socialized' in that manner...

As for the other stuff that's in those articles? It's worth a read to know what folks think, and it's worth evaluating to be sure I'm doing the best we can within our financial constraints, etc, but overall, I always find myself happy with our decision. That's even moreso now, when my homeschooled highschooler has beaten the majority of his 'peers' on standardized testing... We did not need to leave him in ps in order to 'help' the school, nor socialize my son. We need to do what's right for him. I'm convinced he has done better because we pulled him out.