Menu

Why can't I find the 'perfect' homeschool curriculum?

mazakaal

I had thought that I'd made all my decisions for curriculum for next year. Then I started re-thinking things for my oldest, wondering if WP S&S would really interest him. I've explored different options and ds is showing an interest in studying American history next year. Good. Interest from his is a big step in the right direction. I had been already planning on doing American history with my two youngest. So that fits. But the question comes up, which curriculum to use? I couldn't find anything that fit right for the youngest and ended up planning my own thing. Now it looks like I may have to do the same for my oldest. And for my #2, because now that he's heard that everyone else is studying American history, he wants to also, instead of finishing SL Core 5.

I've never found a history and used it as written. Often the packaged curriculums are too expensive, so I just try to piece together my own thing. But even with SL, I pieced together the whole of Core 5 and didn't even use it as written, re-scheduling the whole thing so it would stretch over 1.5 years. I always struggle so much in choosing curriculum because I think, 'I like this aspect of this curriculum, but I don't like some of the book choice. I like that aspect of that curriculum, but I don't like way they've arranged it. etc' Now I'm having the same problem with choosing an American history curriculum for middle school.

So my problem for next year is that both boys like the look of All American History. They like the idea of reading and then having some workbook pages to do. But I'd like to do all of American history in one year for them because I want to get them back on the 4yr history cycle in 2010. My younger ones will be doing all of American history and I'd like them all to stay on topic together. AAH is a 2yr program. I could try to squeeze it in over one year by skipping most of the For Further Study assignments. But my other concern is that, looking at the table of contents posted on the Bright Ideas web site, it seems like they focus a lot on a few topics, particularly the big wars (Revolution, Civil, World Wars). I'd prefer something more balanced. And I'm not sure if they'll really be 'engaged' by the writing of AAH.

I love the look of Story of the 13 Colonies/Story of the Great Republic and the Foster books used in Beautiful Feet, but the kids really like the workbook pages to go along with the reading. I'm half considering making my own workbook pages for them. I don't have time for that. I'm completely insane to be even considering it.

So, why can't I find the 'perfect' curriculum?! I'm frustrated.

I know why, it does't exist :D.

Seriously, I have the same tweaking disease and I don't have the time to rewrite curriculum, so I've just started from the ground up and wrote my own. Just thought I'd let you know you weren't the only one :).

Edited by Pata

Yep, I hear ya! Seriously, though - the 'perfect' curriculum just does not exist. I think all of us 'tweak' curriculums at times - sometimes you like to 'go with the flow', and follow a set plan or curriculum, other times you think, 'nah, let's do something more spontaneous or hands-on'. It depends on your (and the children's) enthusiasm, energy levels and interests.

This is why many people select a 'spine' to offer basic information, and then use extra resources - such as using one main text, with worksheets, activity ideas, etc. from other curriculums.

And it's all fine - it adds variety, which adds interest! I've been homeschooling for 12 years, and still do it - change around, swap, use bits and pieces from various curriculums, etc. All part of the fun!

I've found the perfect one! (okay, so it's perfect for us, not for everyone, but we SO love it!). www.heartofdakota.com We are doing one of their American history guides right now and it's incredible! The science, geography, art, etc. are all tied into the history lesson which I've found to be loads of fun and very effective for cementing the readings.

My dd is very workbooky too...but with this one, she is so interested in the activities and notebooking that's all planned in, that she doesn't mind the lack of worksheets one bit! And I let her read the book herself b/c she's not one that likes to be read to. I've found that she was enjoying the worksheets more b/c she didn't really have to learn the material...just had to remember it well enough, long enough to get the answer down then she could forget it. Now, we talked about something in history we had talked about from a different vantage point in the guide before- she was convinced I had her repeating a lesson b/c she knew all about it! Then she realized there were all kinds of new stuff to go with it and all was good again. But, she remembered!

Edited by hmschooling

The 4 year cycle is not a hill to die on. Your dc may want to diverge from it and follow their own interests in high school anyway; many do. So I'd do AAH straight, as written, fully, since they like it so much. Half the battle is having them LIKE it, so why are you screwing around with it? Let 'em do it and have your fun inventing cool stuff for the 5 and 6 yo's. Leave those older boys alone to what they like. :)

Yes. Acutally I based a lot of my book choices for my younger kids on what this curriculum uses. I 'tweaked' it because I didn't want to spend as much time on Native Americans and because my kids were a bit young for her plan. My other kids, for whom I'm now looking for curriculum, are a bit old for it. It's geared for kids right in between my kids' ages. I will probably pull a some worksheets from her site though. Thanks for the suggestion.

eta: oops - this was supposed to go under the Guest Hollow suggestion

Edited by MeganP