Menu

another round of "Help me find this book"

The book I am trying to remember was required reading in the south in the 9th grade. I doubt that it is required anymore... that was years and years ago... All I remember is a family at the beginning... maybe a ranch type setting... saying good-bye to a young couple (part of the family) and the couple goes off to another country... I remember them using netting over hats and beds for mosquitos... and they have a child... they love to read... and a disease hits the area and their child dies... Anyone??

The book I am trying to remember was required reading in the south in the 9th grade. I doubt that it is required anymore... that was years and years ago... All I remember is a family at the beginning... maybe a ranch type setting... saying good-bye to a young couple (part of the family) and the couple goes off to another country... I remember them using netting over hats and beds for mosquitos... and they have a child... they love to read... and a disease hits the area and their child dies... Anyone??

Hmmm...wasn't required in *my* South...doesn't sound familiar at all. Sorry.

I want to say they were missionaries of some sort, but I don't know for sure. I don't remember names. I remember the young couple reading in their small home. I remember the little child (I think a girl) running around and getting into trouble as a toddler. I remember there was something to do with the tongue getting brownish gunk on it as an onset of the disease.